Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Does anyone here have any tips for what I could put on my car or the posts of the carport so I know that I am clear of them when reversing down the driveway? That is the reason why I can't just get in the car & drive around the block for practice - I can't get out of the carport because I can't tell how close to it I am. DH is never home in time to move the car for me. I can't figure out what I could put on the car or the posts to help me tell. Even the posts on my side are hard enough - I have to reverse a miniscule amount then stick my head out the window & so-on. The posts on the passengers side I have no hope of telling how close to it I am until I hit it. Also, how can I tell how far forward to drive before I hit the garage door? I'll be like a metre & a half away & start freaking out cause it looks like I'm about to hit it.
    My grandad had a cork hanging from a string that he stuck to the roof of his carport and had it low enough that when it hit his bonnet he knew to stop. I thought this was a great idea!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It sounds to me like you maybe just need more opportunity to practice in a way that doesn't make you too nervous.

Have you had a chat to your DH about how his impatience makes you feel? My DH can be a shocking back seat driver, but he will reign it in when I tell him to cork it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actually didn't know you could get a reversing camera installed, I always thought you had to buy a car with one already in it. I will definitely look into that option!

DH suggested a cork or tennis ball hanging from the carport roof too, so I will give that a go. That will help with how far forward to drive, but what about sides? Any ideas for that? There is no street parking at all without obstructing other people's driveways. All I could do is park on the front lawn, but I'm not sure whether I could get down the curb in reverse.

I've talked to DH about it & he says he honestly doesn't mean to yell at me but he says he just gets so frustrated cause he doesn't understand why I can't do it. Needless to say he's never had any trouble with driving.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Can you maybe take a photo of your driveway so we can see it? Might be able to give more suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks for your help & suggestions everyone.

I just got off the phone with DH, & asked him when he can get home at an appropriate time so we can go driving. He can't basically. His employers give their staff way too much work for them to finish during working hours so they have no choice but to stay back without pay.

DH cracked a mental at me & said 'why don't you just drive down the driveway. I've explained how to do it a hundred times.' I told him I just can't understand how to not hit something that it looks like I'm going to hit so he just yelled at me again. Sometimes he's such a ****.

So I think I'm just going to give up on ever being able to drive & start to come up with some ideas on how to be a good mum without driving when DH is constantly at work. We can afford cabs if it's an emergancy but not regularly. There are some buses but they are unreliable & crowded (ie no-one makes space for strollers/pregnant women etc) & it's a 20 minute walk to the train.

I'll buy myself a good stroller & get a backpack to use as a baby bag. I'll get some good walking shoes & a rain cover for the stroller. Can you use sun cream on young babies? As much as I hate telling people I can't drive because I always get the 'you are so pathetic' look, I'll put together a network of people who can drive me places in an emergancy (ie take the baby to the doctor). I'll practice negotiating a stroller in awkward places (ie standing up on the train/bus) etc. When I get bigger I'll also practice negotiating my pregnant belly in awkward places (standing up on bus/train).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I am so sorry to hear about his reaction. He should be proud you are giving it a go not frustrated.
    Can you get him to reverse the car into the drive way would you feel more comfortable driving it out instead or reversing it out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi heartstringz, I feel for you... Perhaps set a roster for when DH can assist you in the next few weeks? Also, you tape empty softdrink bottles to the posts until you get used to it, so if you bump them you will see it or feel it. Also, my mum lost her driving confidence a while back and she got a cheap GPS installed, which gave her confidence back. Not just for directions, but for some reason, it gave her some assurance. One step at a time, don't rush it, I hope you can make some progress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't let his stupid reaction put you off. Just the fact you want to drive is an accomplishment!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    OP where in QLD are you? I have a fantastic driver-trainer that gave me actual pointers for knowing the position of your car on the road. I will explain it but it might be better to give him a call if you are in brisbane?

He gets you to park your car so your tyres are right on the 'grey' line on the road (where the road & kerb meets) then he gets you to line that spot up with something on your dash - a screw in the windscreen wiper or where the water spouts are, that way you will always know where the edge of your car is on the road.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I'm in Brisbane. Is your instructor ok with people who already have their licence? I'm sick of the impatient instructors who make comments & put my back up before we even leave my house just because I already have my licence.