+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not much help but I can relate to a phobia of driving. I drive the minimum amount possible, drive my son to school, go early to avoid the busy chaotic times. I never drive when there another adult in the car who could drive. To me my fear is very logical, at the very least a fender bender is really stressful and expensive and at worst a big accident could kill your family or someone else, so totally get your phobia of driving

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone.

Does anyone here have any tips for what I could put on my car or the posts of the carport so I know that I am clear of them when reversing down the driveway? That is the reason why I can't just get in the car & drive around the block for practice - I can't get out of the carport because I can't tell how close to it I am. DH is never home in time to move the car for me. I can't figure out what I could put on the car or the posts to help me tell. Even the posts on my side are hard enough - I have to reverse a miniscule amount then stick my head out the window & so-on. The posts on the passengers side I have no hope of telling how close to it I am until I hit it. Also, how can I tell how far forward to drive before I hit the garage door? I'll be like a metre & a half away & start freaking out cause it looks like I'm about to hit it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP you should do some practice wearing 'L' plates, I know you are a full licence holder but the 'L' plates might give other drivers the heads up that you're learning and they can go around you/try to avoid you, just so you're not being hassled?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Am I allowed to Graciesmum? I wasn't sure if it was illegal if I get pulled over or something. Might try it if I'm allowed to though, but I have to find someone to drive with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What sort of car are you driving? A small car? Spacial awareness is just an acquired skill from practice I think. I learnt to drive in a land cruiser and use to think I was going over the white lines as a 16 year old, but you just get better with practice and time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Am I allowed to Graciesmum? I wasn't sure if it was illegal if I get pulled over or something. Might try it if I'm allowed to though, but I have to find someone to drive with.
    I don't know? Probably not. I would do it and on the very off chance you got pulled over say you forgot to take them off from someone else i just thought it might give other drivers an indication of your driving ability and to give you some space

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner once showed me how to use my side mirrors when reversing - it changed my life! I use them all the time now to see the gutter, or posts etc if I'm reversing. I have to sit up a little to do it but so worth it. As for the distance between front and back to an object the only thing is practice practice practice. And this will change in other cars.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a suburau, a medium-sized car. I've had my licence for about ten years & although I've rarely driven alone in the past I spent months & months on end (almost daily) driving with someone else practicing & I still could not understand where my car is on the road, how close I am to things etc. I feel like I have some kind of impairement.

My DH says you just 'visualise' where the front/back of the car is etc but that just doesn't make sense to me. I don't know how 'visualising' tells me how close I am to something when it already looks like I'm about to hit it.

And every time I do get the confidence to go somewhere & park in a parking lot, I always pick a spot right at the back away from everyone else with lots of empty bays around me. And literally every single time I come back to the car someone has parked next to me So then I spend FOREVER reversing back at a snails pace and stopping every half a second to get out of my car & check I'm not going to hit them. That's the only way I can get out of the space. I don't even want to think about trying to reverse into the space.

I just wanted to give my kids good opportunities, the chance to go to sport, see their friends etc but I guess I can never do that. DH works so late that there's no way he'll be home at an appropriate time to drive them places. I also can't help thinking about taking vomiting screaming children on the bus or in a cab to the doctors..................

Thanks
    Reviews
    Possibly not a viable option but a lot of new cars have reversing cameras and sensors for front and back. I test drove a Hyundai ix35 I think and it had both. Can you upgrade to a new car?

If you have a car that is less then 5 yrs old you may be able to but something from the manufacturer and have it installed. I have an Mazda cx5 it has a reversing camera standard and but I could have upgraded to have front parking sensors and can still get them installed if need be.

Re: reversing out of the carport, can you leave your car in the street/verge overnight or not an ok area to do? Get DH to put it out for you and then have a go driving 'round the block'. If you're worried about it being broken into only leave it up there mon to thurs nights and leave absolutely nothing in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you get a reversing camera put into your car? Our car came with one and I love it!