+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    I think in this area men have lots of responsibility and very little rights. Sadly children are also caught up in this and women have all the rights- the right to fall pregnant, the right to terminate/continue the pregnancy and the right to decide access to the child involved.
    How is carrying a pregnancy and having to make decisions that will affect the rest of your life significantly, NOT having responsibilities? Men have a lot of responsibility... Really?

what you describe above aren't rights, they are responsibilities!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (28-11-2013),Mokeybear  (28-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the end of the day, sex is for procreation (among other things) so ANY time you have sex, a child could result.

It would be very hard for a man who's partner has an abortion when he wanted the child but men simply cannot carry children. You can't force a woman to carry a baby if she really doesn't want to, it's her body.

I hate the way children of these situations are only talked about in terms of "child support payments" that have to be paid, like they are only a financial burden.

Life is messy and sometimes people get burnt, it's unavoidable.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (28-11-2013),Leafy  (28-11-2013),Lillynix  (28-11-2013),Mokeybear  (28-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What's the alternative? Women forced into abortion if the father doesn't want a child? Children living in poverty because the father decides he doesn't want to contribute financially? Women forced through pregnancy and birth because the father does want the baby?

I agree, it can be sh!t for a father who wanted the baby but the mother doesn't, but the thought of the alternative is abhorrent.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (28-11-2013),Lillynix  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And this is why am I envious of the reproductive tract of the female duck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've seen the story about the young man on facebook.

If it's all 100% true than I think it's an injustice.

If a baby is going to be given up for adoption instead of given to it's biological father who is stepping up and screaming out to be a loving dad to his child, well, that's just not right IMO.

I actually know a guy in real life who was faced with the same dilemma. He got his girlfriend pregnant, they broke up, she wanted to adopt out the baby. He stepped up and insisted he would raise the baby girl on his own, and did (she's about 13 years old now).

I think the fathers rights can only come into the equation once a child is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh I 100% agree that if a baby is going to be handed over for adoption it has to be with the consent of both biological parents. A baby is better off with one good biological parent than in the foster/adoption system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not sure fair is the right word, but it is the only way. No one should be able to make decisions about another persons body. Ever.

If said husband/partner didn't want to have a baby, then they shouldn't be having sex. Sex can lead to babies, even whilst on contraception, you'd have to be living under a rock not to know it.

So yep, a woman's body, her choice - always.

PS- I am talking about termination here.

If the baby was born and the mother didn't want it, then of course the father should be able to raise the baby. It is 50/50 when the baby is out!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-11-2013),MermaidSister  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Women should always, always have the bodily autnomy to choose to continue or not continue a pregnancy, the alternative is completely abhorrent to me.

Men too have bodily autonomy, they wear a condom every single time they have sex unless they are trying for a baby or are in a relationship where they would be open to having a baby. If the risk that comes with using condoms is too high, then they either abstain or have non penetrative sex. It is not that hard.

Adoption needs to be consented to by both parents in Australia, unless the woman said she did not know who the Father is, but even then I imagine he could go to court and fight.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

MermaidSister  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It will only ever be "fair" on both parties when the process of babymaking/birthing occurs in a neutral place..ie, not just in the body of the parent who has the womb. Maybe in a laboratory instead. Until that day comes, men and women have to make decisions at different times in the process. It's all been said...grown men know how babies are made. They know they may not get to decide what happens once it's in the woman's body, and that's just how it is. They get to make their decision early, or take the consequences. If you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to become a parent- which is about a lot more than just money! That's what I believe.

As for the adoption story, I think there's probably more to it than what's been said on social media. I'm pretty sure both parents have to sign their rights away for an adoption to occur, even in America (though I'm no expert). Maybe there's another reason for the decision being considered, maybe he has a record showing that he wouldn't be fit to look after a child, who knows. Absolutely I agree dads should be allowed to take full custody of an unwanted child while the mother signs her rights away. Likewise, men can sign their rights away if they really don't want the responsibility of a child here...