+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Del I pretty much smudge everything! I'm sure I should have a permanent blue stain on my ring finger! My pencil grip is a little unusual though. Just try different ones and find what works for your DD

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't ever remember having a problem with scissors??? I just use normal ones. I do remember my grandparents taking me to a left handed shop in Sydney once (they had left handed soap!) and buying scissors but I'm sure I didn't gave any issues using normal ones.

Something else I find, whenever someone gives me a pen, say to sign a Medicare form, they always give it in the direction if my right hand but I take it with my left and it's always a bit awkward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I was younger, some scissors were contoured to only suit your right hand, but now they all seem to be universal

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a leftie and it did not bother me during primary school (there were few issues, like stitching, knitting, cutting, some sports as the teachers assume we were all using right hand or in some cases they really do not know how to teach those skills to leftie). It was bit tricky in high school, specially during science, chemistry (or any other) labs as all most all experiments were set up for right hand students. There were group of us, it took us while to learn how to use all equipments properly, however at the end and we all did well.

There are couples of things as an adult I am noticing, it seems chairs in university lecture halls are designed for right hand people. Common study spaces like computer rooms, workshops, labs are all setup for right hand people. Even most kitchen benches are design in such a way that right hand people can use them easily. I am yet to find computer mouse for lefties (I might have to look harder). All most all ways people assume you are using your right hand (like taking blood, inserting iv drip, giving you a pen to sign etc). I know I look kind of funny when using a camera, cutting, etc.

Your DD will learn to live in a world dominated by right hand people. May be it will give her advantage as she will learn from early stage to thrive in different situation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hksl For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm left handed...lefties adapt.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm left handed for writing, but rightie or ambidextrous for almost everything else. Except a few random things, like I hold a table tennis racquet with my left hand, but a full sized racquet with my right. It sucks learning a new skill that requires a dominant hand (knitting for eg) as it takes me a long long time to figure out which hand will work better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hksl - you can change the buttons in a computer mouse through the computer settings, I'm a leftie and have mine set up on the left with the buttons switched around... Just make sure it's one that isn't curved and is symmetrical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I am purely ambidextrous. It is annoying trying to give directions as I have trouble telling left from right.

I print left handed and do cursive right handed. I apperantly cheat at mini golf as I just swap hands with the putter for hard to reach spots. It also comes in handy when I have a broken arm.

Both my children are right handed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Left handed? Advice please

Just stumbled across this thread I started a couple of years ago.
    Dd1 is definitely left handed.
    And it's already obvious at 9 months that dd2 is too. It's weird as nobody on either side of the immediate family is left handed, yet both my daughters are.

The main thing I struggle with is teaching/helping dd1 spread butter on toast. As she swipes the other way it's really difficult to do it together lol. It means the butter is on the wrong side for it to work.

Devils children lol.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS is very definitely left handed too! Even at 2, he's just always picked up things and done things with his left hand.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-08-2016)