+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our DS is a leftie. Was very clear from around 10 months. He has had no issues whatsoever (he's 7 now). I just made sure I had left handed scissors for him.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two of my children are lefties, it causes no problems at all

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    2 lefties in this house. No problems for either of us. Don't see why there would be?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I write left handed but to everything else right handed. Biggest issue is smudging letters when you write.
    DD is left handed to. DP thought i made her that way because i am left handed i automatically hand things to her left hand.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am left handed and so are both of my sisters. It hasn't caused any problems here. I think kids often change their preference though - we were convinced my DD was going to be left handed when she was younger, but now she almost always uses her right hand (she's 3.5).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only problem with being a leftie is smudging the ink as you write But kids probably won't use pens soon anyway! You may also find that your DD switches hands depending on what she is doing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hijack the thread but at what age was it clear your kids were lefties? I think DS (3yo) might be a lefty. He prefers to use it left hand to colour and use scissors.
    I kind of hope he is a lefty, i think its kinda cool. I always wanted to be a lefty when i was growing up cause my bestie was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD3 is left handed, it became obvious around the age of 12 months, as she would always reach for her drink or finger feed with her left hand. Once she started showing interest in scribbling around 18 months it was obvious that she was left handed, she just refused to hold a pencil/crayon in her right hand. Nothing you can do about it as far as writing goes.

One thing I have done is encouraged her to use her knife and fork as if she was right handed, I just felt that this would make things a bit easier for her as she got older. I always set her cutlery at the table the same as the rest of us and she didn't resist - if she had I would never have forced her, but she just accepted it. She does use a spoon with the left hand though.

Also scissors can be tricky to use, we got her some left handed scissors when she was about 3 but I have also worked on her using her right hand to cut with as well - as left handed scissors are not always going to be readily available when she grows up.

My brother was ambidextrous as a kid and could swop between left and right without any problems, mum encouraged him to use the right hand as she felt it would be easier for him in a right handed world - but she didn't force the issue. Even now, although he is right handed, he can easily use his left hand for writing etc if he wants to.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 and I are both lefties, apart from occasional smudges it doesn't have any negative impacts. DD1 is a rightie, so I don't think I encouraged it, it was just the way it happened.

Although many years ago when I was in primary school (80's) they sat all us lefties on the one table so we didn't bump arms with the righties when writing. I don't think schools would do that anymore though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tootiredtosleep For This Useful Post:

Mopoke  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm left handed and like others said your writing can get smudged, also if writing in a book with a ridge where the binding is it can get hard cause you are leaning on that ridge for the first few cm of the line.
    I use right handed golf clubs but apparently left handed ones are expensive.
    I always looked funny using cutlery but think I've outgrown it.
    It's a bit awkward using a bolt action rifle left handed cause the bolt is on the wrong side.
    I've started quilting and it's a bit backwards to cut things but you work things out fairly easily.

DS is almost 3 and I used to think he was left handed but lately he has been using his right hand for things.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post: