+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie89 View Post
    If every child did this what would be left?
    All of the toys in my childcare centre were either donated or purchased by the centre or the staff for ALL of the children, not just one child who can't take the word no.
    Sorry - I was just being a turd - completely tongue in cheek

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Vonnie89  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our daycare has kids pinching things from it all the time and its amazing how many parents just don't notice so as a result, any matchbox cars we put out usually disappear within the week so I can totally understand the pg leader's frustration. Despite that, we will often let the parents take something home to borrow to avoid the tantrum and bring it back the next time. The child is taught that it is only borrowing and must be returned and the frustrated parent gets some slack. The difference is that the parents ask nicely and tell us the situation instead of just expecting us to hand out our toys to children who feel entitled to take them. If you want a friendly hand it generally pays to ask in a friendly manner.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twocam View Post
    Playing devil's advocate.......maybe the mother was having a bad day and was at the end of her rope and was trying to get on her way with the minimum of fuss. Maybe she intended to strip the toys out of his pockets & return them the next day but didn't express her intentions well due to her stress levels

Or....maybe she's just a monster
    I think that letting him think that he is able to take cars that don't belong to him and returning them would teach him as much as just letting him take it and keep it. Kids need to know that some things don't belong to them and they can't just take them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    God! If my kids were like that I'd be telling them off that's for damn sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reminds me of the time I let ds1 play on the keyboard of a turned off computer in the local library - I knew it was wrong but I was just sooooooo pregnant and drained emotionally I just could say no for the hundredth time that day... An elderly lady lady asked me to stop ds1 and I burst into tears I was so embarrassed and emo - so I get it even though its lazy parenting we all have these so wrong and so awkward times

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been there a million times, where I can't be dealing with an (autistic) meltdown over something silly like that. I still wouldn't let my DS2 just take whatever he wants whenever he wants. It is just setting myself up for even worse meltdowns in the future. Honestly, kids need to know they can't always have everything they want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sometimes allow kids who are visiting us to take home a toy if they have become attached to it during their play, and yes it is sometimes to avoid a tanty for their mum (my friend).
    The difference is - the child has 'permission' to take it and knows that they have to return it in time, and they have to take good care of it when they have it in their possession.

The toy wasn't allowed to leave the playgroup because other kids would miss out... thems the rules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One time my eldest daughter had orientation day at prep and I had my son and other daughter with me, son was 2 at the time. Well he as playing with some toy cars in the class room and when it was time to go, I told him to put the cars back. He went mental and there were other mums and kids around. The teacher said "its ok he can take one home, there's plenty here anway" I said "are you sure" she said "yes, its ok" (I think she could see I was getting annoyed with the tantrum). I told him to say thankyou and all that. I wouldn't allow him to take anything without permission though.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Not sure if this type of thread really achieves much. Prompts people to say hateful things about people and situations they know little about. Makes me sad.
    I have a 3-year-old boy who has just started throwing some terrible tantrums, and I would not have the audacity to claim that my parenting skills led me to handle them perfectly each time. It can be very hard, we try our best. This lady and her son may very well need a friendly hand extended, rather than snide comments about future delinquency.
    I have never made comment on any thread outside of TTC and Spelling threads, but it just made me a little sad.
    J.
    Sent from my GT-N7000B using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yes, but I didn't "name and shame" the mum. She is anonymous. I am anonymous. It is sad. I was there- she was not a mother having a really bad day who on the verge of a breakdown asked if the playgroup minded if they perhaps borrowed a car to return the next day. She just wanted her to turn a blind eye to her child stealing them. She couldn't be bothered dealing with a screaming toddler or using the situation to teach him right from wrong. I get what you're saying, but it was the way in which it was done as well; the way she stormed out and directed her anger towards the staff members.
    She wasn't/isn't a struggling, fragile parent who I decided to write a thread about to poke fun at or mock- I found her to be rude. Her behaviour is going to have a lasting effect on that boy and her attitude will be very detrimental to shaping him as a good and decent person.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

beebs  (29-11-2013),dee1  (29-11-2013),gizmoduckus  (30-11-2013),misskittyfantastico  (29-11-2013),Mokeybear  (29-11-2013),Zombie_eyes  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Yes, but I didn't "name and shame" the mum. She is anonymous. I am anonymous. It is sad. I was there- she was not a mother having a really bad day who on the verge of a breakdown asked if the playgroup minded if they perhaps borrowed a car to return the next day. She just wanted her to turn a blind eye to her child stealing them. She couldn't be bothered dealing with a screaming toddler or using the situation to teach him right from wrong. I get what you're saying, but it was the way in which it was done as well; the way she stormed out and directed her anger towards the staff members.
    She wasn't/isn't a struggling, fragile parent who I decided to write a thread about to poke fun at or mock- I found her to be rude. Her behaviour is going to have a lasting effect on that boy and her attitude will be very detrimental to shaping him as a good and decent person.
    I think your thread was valid Marigold, it reminds up why we persevere with teaching our kids right from wrong.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-11-2013)