+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never understood why educating a child was a tax deduction either now why we pay people to have babies etc..... Surely if we cut all of these welfare payments taxes would be lower therefore supporting the average family more anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    I never understood why educating a child was a tax deduction either now why we pay people to have babies etc..... Surely if we cut all of these welfare payments taxes would be lower therefore supporting the average family more anyway.
    We don't pay people to have babies, babies cost a hell of a lot more then what the government give. It may help people that couldn't afford to have a child without government support, but that's not a bad thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cluckcluck View Post
    I thought it was brought in to make lodging a tax return easier, less things to claim etc ? I could be wrong.
    Yep, it was. It was always something you could claim on your tax return. So it was nothing new when it was essentially rebranded as the 'school kids bonus'.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'm sure if we keep cutting away at welfare payments we will have more homelessness, less educated members of society, higher unemployment, more people staying in unhappy and abusive relationships, etc..
    Education is vital for society.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (28-11-2013),haveheart  (29-11-2013),Purple Lily  (09-01-2014),wilding  (28-11-2013)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For people in WA with a health care card or pension card with high school kids you can get the $115 uniform allowance & $235 towards school fees this we come in handy for dss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As someone with 5 kids (so stand to loose a lot of money over the next 18 years of schooling) can I ask why it's the governments responsibility to provide money to clothe our children for school and buy books etc for them????? I know probably not a favourable view but shouldn't we as parents be providing basic necessities for our children without the government covering everything.
    100% support this...... its a view I have supported for many years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As someone with 5 kids (so stand to loose a lot of money over the next 18 years of schooling) can I ask why it's the governments responsibility to provide money to clothe our children for school and buy books etc for them????? I know probably not a favourable view but shouldn't we as parents be providing basic necessities for our children without the government covering everything.
    I totally agree with this - and I am glad someone with 5 kids says the same, I was in a facebook group for mother expecting in April '14 - someone was having a whinge about this being axed and I voiced my opinion... I got slandered!!! Facebook is just facebook so I left the group. But seriously - I think how can you depend on a school kids bonus to buy your kids uniform or shoes etc? Shouldn't that be something you don't count on or are entitled to? One woman on there with 5 kids to 5 different men and another on the way called me a rich ***** and a couple of other nasty things, for my opinion. I am sorry but if you cant provide the essentials for your kids, without a government hand out you shouldn't be thinking about having more....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had turn up, so greatful, Got every ready just need some new uniforms once the school opens!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must admit even though a PITA I think it is better for it to be a tax deduction than to give a flat payment. Although a lot of people I'm sure use it sensibly I am sure others may spend it elsewhere and the child still doesn't have a decent uniform or textbook.

Although I see the advantage of getting it at the beginning of the year instead of halfway through.

Maybe a card system like the PBS - you collect stickers along the way when purchasing school supplies then send the card in for a refund up to the value of the school kids bonus...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it is necessarily paying kids to go to school - more like a tax break when you need it. As mentioned the baby bonus hardly covers all the costs associated with having a baby.

Think of it more as an insurance into the future. More educated kids means more higher paid local jobs filled - more taxes paid. So when we go to retire these taxes go towards pensions, hospitals, free/cheaper healthcare that we will want to utilise when we retire...