+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I'm kind of spun out that people are putting Santa in with 'belief systems'.

The shop assistant was way out of line.
    I'm not just talking about belief systems. As I said in a PP, I don't believe in marriage. I don't tell my kids 'people do this thing called marriage because they think it makes them into a union but it's not real it's just words and a piece of paper' I can't think of any other examples personally but I'm sure there are many other small examples that aren't big world view stuff. I just strongly disagree with teaching kids 'we are right and others are wrong'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    And *I* said I was going by your OP, where you didn't mention that. That's why I mentioned your OP, and my thoughts on just that information. You didn't say he wasn't singing loudly. You didn't say you told him to stop. So that was my reaction to your initial information. But it could have been another kid who walked past and heard, and cried for 45 minutes. It's not outrageous that another adult told him it wasn't on. Because it's not on. And if my kid said something like that in public I would tell them sternly to stop. And finally I don't think it's right to teach your kids that Santa isn't real, not in those terms. I don't agree with it at all. I don't agree with teaching kids that our beliefs are real and other people's beliefs are made up. I don't care if it's 'just Santa', I think there is a principle there about respecting other people's beliefs, even if those people happen to be little.
    It would've taken you all of five seconds to read anewme's subsequent posts which provided more info and clarification.

As for what people teach their kids about (insert fictional character) well, there's nothing you can do about that, so I'd prepare for the fallout rather than try and tell people it's wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    See if my DS overheard him singing Santa's not real he would probably a ) not care or b) be concerned that the little boy won't get any presents from Santa as only kids who believe get presents from Santa !
    I love the fact that everyone has different beliefs. , DS thinks Jesus is a story the same as Rudolph the red nose reindeer is a story , I would hate him to have such a low self esteem that he would be upset if someone told him they believed something different to him
    I think the lady in the shop is an idiot , mainly for having a go at a 5 year old and OP , thankfully we live in a country where your son can say what he likes and if other people are too precious about it that's their problem not yours !

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (27-11-2013),Purple Lily  (27-11-2013),Renn  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    Mm. It's not that surprising. For a little kid, their belief in Santa can match an adults devout belief in God. It seems weird to adults who know Santa is just mum and dad who put presents under the tree, but there it is.
    But to the point of saying people shouldn't teach their kids Santa isn't real? That seems bizarre to me - after all, Santa truly is not real and all adults know that. It's not up for theological debate. I've always seen Santa as a bit of childhood fun. Not a serious belief system. I'm honestly surprised others take it so seriously.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (27-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (27-11-2013),misskittyfantastico  (27-11-2013),NoteToSelf  (28-11-2013),~Marigold~  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    It would've taken you all of five seconds to read anewme's subsequent posts which provided more info and clarification.

As for what people teach their kids about (insert fictional character) well, there's nothing you can do about that, so I'd prepare for the fallout rather than try and tell people it's wrong.
    Why cant I tell people I think it's wrong, if I do think it's wrong? Why can't I do both?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    But to the point of saying people shouldn't teach their kids Santa isn't real? That seems bizarre to me - after all, Santa truly is not real and all adults know that. It's not up for theological debate. I've always seen Santa as a bit of childhood fun. Not a serious belief system. I'm honestly surprised others take it so seriously.
    Whether Santa is real or not is irrelevant to the level of belief children can have in him. Like I said, we as adults know Santa isn't real. We know it's us who put the presents there. But to a little kid, it's a mythical guy who comes down a non-existant chimney to put presents under their tree as a reward for good behavior for the previous year. It's the belief that's the important bit there, not fact that we as adults know. It's something that a little kid can understand and have belief in. So I can understand the parallels between religion and Santa.

ETA: As to what gets taught by parents to their kids, that's got nothing to do with me, unless it were to directly and negatively impact the belief my kids have. But I'm one of those people who believe that belief is important, regardless of what you believe in, whether it's science or God/The Gods or Santa Clause and the Tooth fairy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Why cant I tell people I think it's wrong, if I do think it's wrong? Why can't I do both?
    You can do what you like. I honestly don't care. I'd just invest my energy elsewhere. Ahh diversity!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    ok than why can't he?

edit...
    He hasn't. But going on that theory...
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 27-11-2013 at 22:27.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (27-11-2013),~Marigold~  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    See if my DS overheard him singing Santa's not real he would probably a ) not care or b) be concerned that the little boy won't get any presents from Santa as only kids who believe get presents from Santa !
    I love the fact that everyone has different beliefs. , DS thinks Jesus is a story the same as Rudolph the red nose reindeer is a story , I would hate him to have such a low self esteem that he would be upset if someone told him they believed something different to him
    I think the lady in the shop is an idiot , mainly for having a go at a 5 year old and OP , thankfully we live in a country where your son can say what he likes and if other people are too precious about it that's their problem not yours !
    Perfectly said!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    ok than why can't he?
    Ok I shouldn't have said 'wrong' but I was mirroring how kitty worded it. I don't think you are 'wrong' to teach your kids that your beliefs are right and others are wrong. I disagree with it, I don't believe in teaching kids in absolutes. That is the difference.