+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But you have already discussed the idea that religion is a point of view with your kids. That some believe in god and others don't.

For most parents, they have told their kids santa IS real.
    Then those kids will probably believe their parents over a random kid in the shop.

My twins debate about Santa all the time - should I silence the one who has figured it out on his own that it is a fanciful, fun story? ..for the sake of his fantasy loving twin?

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    How ridiculous. Anewme's 5 year old was not saying anything offensive or prejudicial. This is a world away from an older child deliberately ruining Santa for a younger child for kicks - he was having a private convo with his family in public. As long as he's not being vulgar or offensive he can say/sing what he likes.

FL I find it very hard to believe that you couldn't deal effectively with the situation if your son overheard something like this and some random kid at the shops isn't going to undo what his biggest influence - YOU - do and say.

That woman should have said, "what a lovely boy you are for singing so nicely to your brother", or nothing at all.

5 year old boy: Ben 10 is awesome
    Me: Ben 10 is super lame

Keeping in mind that DS has never ever seen Ben 10, guess who he believes?

For me the issue is there was a parent there, who going from the OP I believe should have been far quicker at cracking down on her DS saying something like that in public. In the school yard, yeah not much you can do. A 5 year old with his mum, that shouldn't be happening. And it's the difference between 'I don't believe' and 'Santa isn't real'

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (27-11-2013),dee1  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post

5 year old boy: Ben 10 is awesome
    Me: Ben 10 is super lame

Keeping in mind that DS has never ever seen Ben 10, guess who he believes?

For me the issue is there was a parent there, who going from the OP I believe should have been far quicker at cracking down on her DS saying something like that in public. In the school yard, yeah not much you can do. A 5 year old with his mum, that shouldn't be happening. And it's the difference between 'I don't believe' and 'Santa isn't real'
    Me: Ben 10 is fricking annoying. *Twitch* Gods that omnitrix. If I ever get a chance, I'm pretty sure I'm going to smash it with a hammer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I always find this really interesting. Kids are *incredibly* honest. Not because they're malicious, but simply because the idea of tact hasn't occurred to them or been taught to them yet.

I'm fairly certain if your kid went around telling larger people that they're fat constantly, you would educate them very quickly on what is and isn't appropriate. Or if someone has bad BO. Or funny teeth. And these would all be "home truths" as you put it. But it still isn't okay or allowable.

I kind of put it on the same thing. It's our job to educate children on proper behavior in public or at home and the differences. Just because other kids are little and we don't believe in Santa, we can't decide that Santa is a little thing for a kid and their beliefs. So the "home truths" could be just as hurtful and upsetting as telling an adult they're fat/have bad BO/funny teeth. So, might as well just educate your children at the same time to not tell other people that Santa isn't real, because that might hurt their feelings or upset them.
    Perfectly said!

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    I always find this really interesting. Kids are *incredibly* honest. Not because they're malicious, but simply because the idea of tact hasn't occurred to them or been taught to them yet.

I'm fairly certain if your kid went around telling larger people that they're fat constantly, you would educate them very quickly on what is and isn't appropriate. Or if someone has bad BO. Or funny teeth. And these would all be "home truths" as you put it. But it still isn't okay or allowable.

I kind of put it on the same thing. It's our job to educate children on proper behavior in public or at home and the differences. Just because other kids are little and we don't believe in Santa, we can't decide that Santa is a little thing for a kid and their beliefs. So the "home truths" could be just as hurtful and upsetting as telling an adult they're fat/have bad BO/funny teeth. So, might as well just educate your children at the same time to not tell other people that Santa isn't real, because that might hurt their feelings or upset them.

Anewme's son was not going around telling other kids about Santa, he was singing a song to his younger brother who was upset. That is a world away from saying someone is fat to their face.

Everyone has their own opinion, I don't think Anewme's son did anything wrong, you clearly did.

If my son overheard that and asked me about it I would just say something about him knowing the Santa at the shops is not real, it is a helper.

It is not the end of the world.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (27-11-2013),misskittyfantastico  (27-11-2013),Purple Lily  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can someone please explain the difference between, "I don't believe in Santa" and "Santa's not real"

...because in my experience, young kids don't often play the semantics game like us adults.
    Both phrases would basically mean the same thing to a youngin' IMO.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (27-11-2013),Donnab739  (27-11-2013),Lauzy  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Can someone please explain the difference between, "I don't believe in Santa" and "Santa's not real"

...because in my experience, young kids don't often play the semantics game like us adults.

One is an absolute and one is subjective. Surely that's pretty obvious I don't see how you CAN'T see the difference to be honest. It's not semantics, the two sentences have completely different meanings. If I say to my DS 'there will be no ice cream after dinner' he sure as sh!t knows that's completely different to 'I don't believe/think there will be ice cream after dinner'

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

I tend to agree on the semantics part, but it's about the "I" statements. "I feel xyz" as opposed to "XYZ is...". But yeah - eye opening thread. I ha no idea some parents were so invested in Father Christmas!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    One is an absolute and one is subjective. Surely that's pretty obvious I don't see how you CAN'T see the difference to be honest. It's not semantics, the two sentences have completely different meanings. If I say to my DS 'there will be no ice cream after dinner' he sure as sh!t knows that's completely different to 'I don't believe/think there will be ice cream after dinner'
    See, if I say, "I don't think there will be icecream after dinner"
    ...my kids would fall around, mouths agape screaming, "nooooooooo!! We wanted icecream."

I guess tone plays into it too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

delirium  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See, if I say, "I don't think there will be icecream after dinner"
    ...my kids would fall around, mouths agape screaming, "nooooooooo!! We wanted icecream."

I guess tone plays into it too.
    LOL my DS would put on his know it all voice and say 'oh *i* think there will be'