+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    For the record. He wasnt singing very loud, we walked infront of the staff member and I did stop d's from singing. I also told him other kids do believe in santa and it is up to their mummys and daddy's to tell them he not real.
    I also told him I wasn't mad at him for tell his brother the truth. Ds3 is scared of santa and he was trying to comfort ds3.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 27-11-2013 at 20:09.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Both. I don't have a problem with what she said to him, but it sounds like her delivery was pretty awful. But I would be pretty annoyed at a kid singing that around my kid at Christmas time. And who knows, perhaps some kid had just told HER kid that Santa wasn't real so it's a sore point for her? Tbh I think you should have stopped your DS singing it as soon as he started, it's one thing to not 'do' Santa, but you don't need to spoil it for anyone else. Kinda like how we are atheists but I would never let DS sing about God not being real in public. It's just disrespectful of other people's beliefs. I'm not saying Santa is as important as a deity, but the dude is a big deal for a lot of kids.
    This...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't say both. The staff member was rude, she should know better than to act like a **** and make a little kid cry in such a way. Generally it'd be polite for her to come up to you and ask that you not let your DS sing it at the top of his lungs.

But I also think your DS shouldn't be singing something about Santa not being real at the top of his lungs. I wouldn't say he's rude. He's five and if he's been told Santa's not real then he wouldn't think it's rude to say that. It's simply fact. Like another kid saying that Santa is. But I wouldn't like to think your DS could or would ruin Santa for someone else.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think there was no issue with your son singing that, so of course I think it was her being rude.

I get that people might not want their child's belief dashed, but you can't shield them from every alternative view. If I had a child who believed in santa, I didn't want that to change, and they heard a kid say he wasn't real... I wouldn't be at all annoyed at the parents. Surely you can respond to your child that some people believe that he's not, some people believe he is... or if that isn't good enough you can straight out lie. Noone else should be forced to be complicit in ensuring your kids believe what you want them too (especially when it's false).

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (28-11-2013),FiveInTheBed  (27-11-2013),fullofhope  (28-11-2013),Gandalf  (27-11-2013),misskittyfantastico  (27-11-2013),NoteToSelf  (27-11-2013),Purple Lily  (27-11-2013),~ElectricPink~  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    I think there was no issue with your son singing that, so of course I think it was her being rude.

I get that people might not want their child's belief dashed, but you can't shield them from every alternative view. If I had a child who believed in santa, I didn't want that to change, and they heard a kid say he wasn't real... I wouldn't be at all annoyed at the parents. Surely you can respond to your child that some people believe that he's not, some people believe he is... or if that isn't good enough you can straight out lie. Noone else should be forced to be complicit in ensuring your kids believe what you want them too (especially when it's false).
    I agree with this. Our family does Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy but my kids have always known that all families are different and believe different things. Someone told DD that Father Christmas wasn't real and that it was parents that put things under the tree and she came home and told me this and she just thought that kid was cray cray! So it didn't diminish her belief in any way.

I think if your family doesn't do x, y or z, just be sure to remind then gently that other children do believe and that that's ok too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I agree with this. Our family does Father Christmas and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy but my kids have always known that all families are different and believe different things. Someone told DD that Father Christmas wasn't real and that it was parents that put things under the tree and she came home and told me this and she just thought that kid was cray cray! So it didn't diminish her belief in any way.

I think if your family doesn't do x, y or z, just be sure to remind then gently that other children do believe and that that's ok too.
    Yeah but that's your kid. My kid thinks 5 year old boys are the coolest most awesomest wisest people in the WORLD. If he heard a 5 year old singing that, he would believe it no question. And I would be really really upset. OP, I'm glad you told him to stop. I don't think your DS was rude actually (I forgot that was the question and was looking at it as a 'who was in the wrong' deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah but that's your kid. My kid thinks 5 year old boys are the coolest most awesomest wisest people in the WORLD. If he heard a 5 year old singing that, he would believe it no question. And I would be really really upset. OP, I'm glad you told him to stop. I don't think your DS was rude actually (I forgot that was the question and was looking at it as a 'who was in the wrong' deal.
    So did mine when he was three. Now he thinks 8 year olds are the bomb, but you can't control what they hear. I guess it's just not a big deal in my eyes. Horses for courses I spose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mel04 View Post
    Both. I think the way she spoke is terrible! But I also think it's rude if your son is singing that loudly enough for others to hear in a public space. He could ruin Santa for others.
    She was definitely out of line though. Hope she is real proud of herself making a child cry.
    Both. I don't have a problem with what she said to him, but it sounds like her delivery was pretty awful. But I would be pretty annoyed at a kid singing that around my kid at Christmas time. And who knows, perhaps some kid had just told HER kid that Santa wasn't real so it's a sore point for her? Tbh I think you should have stopped your DS singing it as soon as he started, it's one thing to not 'do' Santa, but you don't need to spoil it for anyone else. Kinda like how we are atheists but I would never let DS sing about God not being real in public. It's just disrespectful of other people's beliefs. I'm not saying Santa is as important as a deity, but the dude is a big deal for a lot of kids.
    Yep to both of these. She was out of line, he's just a little boy and she had no right to be rude to him. But then while I fully respect your right to not do santa, many of us do. Just speaking for myself, but believing in santa is so fleeting. For some of us, it's the magic of christmas that we know doesn't last long and we want to savor it. While I know it wasn't your child's intention at all, it may spoil it for other children.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

bini86  (28-11-2013),dee1  (27-11-2013),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

I get that people might not want their child's belief dashed, but you can't shield them from every alternative view.
    With respect, that's not your place to tell others what they should or shouldn't shield their kids from. I would be furious if one of my children told a child that attends church that god isn't real... which I firmly believe to be true. That isn't their place to be saying that.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

dee1  (27-11-2013),MrJones&Me  (27-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (27-11-2013),starflame  (27-11-2013)