+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    well gravity is a force... it is just a force. 'Gravity' is the name we just give it.
    Much like your Australia example.

Gender as a social construct I get.

I would personally give define Santa as a myth though. (okay yes it is a myth constructed by cultures - but it is a bit different to the gender social construct IMO)
    I think she meant Australia as a nation moreso than simply just the name correlation. In that sense, to me, it definitely is just another social construct or myth-often interchangeable!

Edit:thread moving too quickly-better worded earlier! Ignore
    Last edited by tootsiegirl; 28-11-2013 at 16:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    For what it's worth... and this may be going terribly off topic, but it's been mentioned before... we are Christians and we are obviously aware that not everyone shares our beliefs. We know there will be times when our children are told things such as 'God isn't real' etc.

If you believe something to be true though, it doesn't really matter what other people think iykwim?

On the other hand we have taught our children to be respectful of people that believe differently to us, and sometimes it's best to not say anything at all.

I will never silence them from talking to one another about God, even if we are in public and people might overhear them.

I have no idea if that makes any sense whatsoever!! I guess what we are trying to teach our children is respect and discretion. They have the respect pretty down pat, but the discretion is obviously harder to learn. Heck, even us adults have trouble with it at times.
    This! Beautifully said

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Massive thread and only read he first page.

She was rude. Your DS is 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Seriously?? Rightio ok I'm done arguing with you on this one if you're going to start playing that way. You say extreme lengths, I say extending the argument. And as for shifting the goal posts, I think what is actually happening here is that my position has you flummoxed and you're not sure how to argue against it, so you are accusing me of effectively cheating to win. So I shall now bow out. Shame as I just thought we were having an interesting discussion, but apparently I am a Santa extremist

Please tell me you are galloping away on a pink unicorn... that would be the best departure EVER

ETA> did you watch the link I posted. It's pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    I think she meant Australia as a nation moreso than simply just the name correlation. In that sense, to me, it definitely is just another social construct or myth-often interchangeable!

Edit:thread moving too quickly-better worded earlier! Ignore
    yes I see that now - once the goal posts were shifted.
    Before that 'Australia' was ONLY being referred to as 'land'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Haven't read any replies. If there were other kids within earshot I think you should have asked your DS to be quiet. If there weren't other kids around then the lady was way out of line.

Either way your poor DS wasn't at fault.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To the people wailing over the fact that we want to deny a five year old freedom of speech....

Having freedom of speech does NOT mean it is appropriate to say whatever you want whenever you want it! Seriously. How many times do we bite our tongues or say something differently to how we do in our heads... All the time!

It's called politeness. I don't believe in lots of things but I don't go around vocalizing it. I don't see that as a violation of my right to freedom of speech for goodness sake.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (03-12-2013),haveheart  (29-11-2013),Jakois  (29-11-2013),Jellyfishie  (28-11-2013),JungleMum  (28-11-2013),LaDiDah  (28-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    To the people wailing over the fact that we want to deny a five year old freedom of speech....

Having freedom of speech does NOT mean it is appropriate to say whatever you want whenever you want it! Seriously. How many times do we bite our tongues or say something differently to how we do in our heads... All the time!

It's called politeness. I don't believe in lots of things but I don't go around vocalizing it. I don't see that as a violation of my right to freedom of speech for goodness sake.
    I agree actually. But this was a private conversation between 2 brothers that was overheard by a shop assistant. It wasn't like he was announcing it publicly.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),MissMuppet  (28-11-2013),SAgirl  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I agree actually. But this was a private conversation between 2 brothers that was overheard by a shop assistant. It wasn't like he was announcing it publicly.
    I agree... The thread has evolved a bit since the start though lol!

It sounded like he was saying it so it would easily be heard by others. I still think that's wrong and would tell my DS not to say it around others in case it upset them. As I would about many other things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Again I agree! I think the OP said she has done the same actually.

I think we are basically agreeing with each other, so I'll just shut up now ('finally!' they all said... haha)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

kw123  (28-11-2013)