+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
    I do love how it seems that because no one has any evidence of Santa coming into homes and leaving presents that he is not real. Yet there is no evidence of god being real either. But because god is a religious diety (?Sp) we must respect others belief in that, but can flat out say that Santa isn't real.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Who has said it is ok to tell others Santa isn't real? I assume that's what you meant by saying he isn't real...

My kids don't believe in santa, but they have been taught it is definitely not ok to ruin it for others. This is what I have read others saying as well...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    well gravity is a force... it is just a force. 'Gravity' is the name we just give it.
    Much like your Australia example.

Gender as a social construct I get.

I would personally give define Santa as a myth though. (okay yes it is a myth constructed by cultures - but it is a bit different to the gender social construct IMO)
    It's different in that "Australia" isn't just a name for a piece of land, it's the name for a country. There's a whole lot more meaning attached to that, relating to histories, national identity, values, population, etc. When you talk about a country you're not just talking about the actual physical land, but an entire social construct of a place where people live, belong, things happen... etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Who has said it is ok to tell others Santa isn't real? I assume that's what you meant by saying he isn't real...

My kids don't believe in santa, but they have been taught it is definitely not ok to ruin it for others. This is what I have read others saying as well...
    I was referring to every post that has said that Santa isn't real (I can't be bothered going through the whole thread to cite each poster who has typed those words).
    If this had of been a thread about a child singing that god isn't real then I'm sure there would be a lot more people telling the parent that they shouldn't be teaching their kids stuff like that, because it could ruin others beliefs in god.
    But because its just about Santa it isn't important.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I think you've lost me.

I don't believe santa is real, but I'm not advocating going around saying that to small children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    It's different in that "Australia" isn't just a name for a piece of land, it's the name for a country. There's a whole lot more meaning attached to that, relating to histories, national identity, values, population, etc. When you talk about a country you're not just talking about the actual physical land, but an entire social construct of a place where people live, belong, things happen... etc.
    okay so we are talking about context now too?

This thread now reminds me of this>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbcS234hvQc

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    well gravity is a force... it is just a force. 'Gravity' is the name we just give it.
    Much like your Australia example.

Gender as a social construct I get.

I would personally give define Santa as a myth though. (okay yes it is a myth constructed by cultures - but it is a bit different to the gender social construct IMO)
    Yeah but the only part of gravity that is made up is the name. Humans haven't defined how it works, they have explained how it works. Australia has been defined by humans. Its borders, language, culture, name, history, etc etc. it doesn't exist as a whole concept apart from how it is imagined, unlike gravity. Massive massive difference.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Renn  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yeah but the only part of gravity that is made up is the name. Humans haven't defined how it works, they have explained how it works. Australia has been defined by humans. Its borders, language, culture, name, history, etc etc. it doesn't exist as a whole concept apart from how it is imagined, unlike gravity. Massive massive difference.
    Dude, I think you are going to extreme lengths to keep the Santa dream alive.

Much like a Christian shifting the goal posts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm getting confused - are there people who, as adults, do actually believe Santa is real? Because it sounds that way from some posts in this thread.

I'm not religious myself, but there's a big difference between belief in God and Santa. Parents who tell their children Santa left them presents do know they bought the presents themselves, and that Santa did not deliver them by reindeer. It's very different from parents telling their children about God where the parents do honestly themselves believe God is real and has an influence in the world.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (28-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2013),SAgirl  (29-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Santa's not real?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharlee32 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),FrothyFrog  (28-11-2013),MissMuppet  (28-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dude, I think you are going to extreme lengths to keep the Santa dream alive.

Much like a Christian shifting the goal posts.
    Seriously?? Rightio ok I'm done arguing with you on this one if you're going to start playing that way. You say extreme lengths, I say extending the argument. And as for shifting the goal posts, I think what is actually happening here is that my position has you flummoxed and you're not sure how to argue against it, so you are accusing me of effectively cheating to win. So I shall now bow out. Shame as I just thought we were having an interesting discussion, but apparently I am a Santa extremist