+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 198
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,532
    Thanks
    1,313
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
    I do love how it seems that because no one has any evidence of Santa coming into homes and leaving presents that he is not real. Yet there is no evidence of god being real either. But because god is a religious diety (?Sp) we must respect others belief in that, but can flat out say that Santa isn't real.


    Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Who has said it is ok to tell others Santa isn't real? I assume that's what you meant by saying he isn't real...

    My kids don't believe in santa, but they have been taught it is definitely not ok to ruin it for others. This is what I have read others saying as well...

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,731
    Thanks
    1,522
    Thanked
    1,963
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    well gravity is a force... it is just a force. 'Gravity' is the name we just give it.
    Much like your Australia example.

    Gender as a social construct I get.

    I would personally give define Santa as a myth though. (okay yes it is a myth constructed by cultures - but it is a bit different to the gender social construct IMO)
    It's different in that "Australia" isn't just a name for a piece of land, it's the name for a country. There's a whole lot more meaning attached to that, relating to histories, national identity, values, population, etc. When you talk about a country you're not just talking about the actual physical land, but an entire social construct of a place where people live, belong, things happen... etc.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    237
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Who has said it is ok to tell others Santa isn't real? I assume that's what you meant by saying he isn't real...

    My kids don't believe in santa, but they have been taught it is definitely not ok to ruin it for others. This is what I have read others saying as well...
    I was referring to every post that has said that Santa isn't real (I can't be bothered going through the whole thread to cite each poster who has typed those words).
    If this had of been a thread about a child singing that god isn't real then I'm sure there would be a lot more people telling the parent that they shouldn't be teaching their kids stuff like that, because it could ruin others beliefs in god.
    But because its just about Santa it isn't important.

    Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,532
    Thanks
    1,313
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry, I think you've lost me.

    I don't believe santa is real, but I'm not advocating going around saying that to small children.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    It's different in that "Australia" isn't just a name for a piece of land, it's the name for a country. There's a whole lot more meaning attached to that, relating to histories, national identity, values, population, etc. When you talk about a country you're not just talking about the actual physical land, but an entire social construct of a place where people live, belong, things happen... etc.
    okay so we are talking about context now too?






    This thread now reminds me of this>>>

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbcS234hvQc


  6. #166
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    well gravity is a force... it is just a force. 'Gravity' is the name we just give it.
    Much like your Australia example.

    Gender as a social construct I get.

    I would personally give define Santa as a myth though. (okay yes it is a myth constructed by cultures - but it is a bit different to the gender social construct IMO)
    Yeah but the only part of gravity that is made up is the name. Humans haven't defined how it works, they have explained how it works. Australia has been defined by humans. Its borders, language, culture, name, history, etc etc. it doesn't exist as a whole concept apart from how it is imagined, unlike gravity. Massive massive difference.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    Renn  (28-11-2013)

  8. #167
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yeah but the only part of gravity that is made up is the name. Humans haven't defined how it works, they have explained how it works. Australia has been defined by humans. Its borders, language, culture, name, history, etc etc. it doesn't exist as a whole concept apart from how it is imagined, unlike gravity. Massive massive difference.
    Dude, I think you are going to extreme lengths to keep the Santa dream alive.

    Much like a Christian shifting the goal posts.

  9. #168
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in a wormhole
    Posts
    2,769
    Thanks
    4,600
    Thanked
    2,802
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm getting confused - are there people who, as adults, do actually believe Santa is real? Because it sounds that way from some posts in this thread.

    I'm not religious myself, but there's a big difference between belief in God and Santa. Parents who tell their children Santa left them presents do know they bought the presents themselves, and that Santa did not deliver them by reindeer. It's very different from parents telling their children about God where the parents do honestly themselves believe God is real and has an influence in the world.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (28-11-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (28-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2013),SAgirl  (29-11-2013)

  11. #169
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Townsville
    Posts
    791
    Thanks
    220
    Thanked
    364
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Santa's not real?

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharlee32 For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (28-11-2013),FrothyFrog  (28-11-2013),MissMuppet  (28-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (28-11-2013)

  13. #170
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Dude, I think you are going to extreme lengths to keep the Santa dream alive.

    Much like a Christian shifting the goal posts.
    Seriously?? Rightio ok I'm done arguing with you on this one if you're going to start playing that way. You say extreme lengths, I say extending the argument. And as for shifting the goal posts, I think what is actually happening here is that my position has you flummoxed and you're not sure how to argue against it, so you are accusing me of effectively cheating to win. So I shall now bow out. Shame as I just thought we were having an interesting discussion, but apparently I am a Santa extremist


 

Similar Threads

  1. WDYT of:
    By mordygordy in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 00:45
  2. WDYT of?..... and which do you like best?
    By mordygordy in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 12:21
  3. WDYT of Lara?
    By MsJBO in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 10:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Philips AVENT Australia
Pregnancy and early parenthood is an exciting and challenging time, but it’s good to know there is expert advice on hand to ensure that your baby gets the best start in life.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!