+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 198
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,920
    Thanks
    1,148
    Thanked
    953
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I dont think it was up to the shop assistant to say anything.

    TBH - i am flat out getting DD to listen to ME at the shops let alone her overhearing a conversation between 2 brothers in a shopping trolley that i am no doubt dragging her past to get in and out as quick as possible.

    Your son could have been swinging from the lights and singing at the top of his voice and i doubt it would register with her.

  2. #142
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Wowsers. It's not right to tell kids the truth about Santa when in actual fact telling kids he is real is a lie....I don't have an issue with people doing sant and my kids respect that too but, hmmmmm, I really don't know what to say to this. Santa *is* made up.
    Santa is a social construct just like a bazillion other things. Marriage is made up. God is made up. Gender is made up. Australia is made up. They are not 'real' apart from the meanings we attach to them. I don't see how Santa is different. But it's cool, I am all good over here with my post modernist ways. I saw my mate Santa today, so I'm happy

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (28-11-2013),JungleMum  (28-11-2013),Renn  (28-11-2013)

  4. #143
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Australia and gender are made up?

    Australia was named but as far as I know I'm standing on solid ground in a country called australia. You mean someone has been lying to me this whole time and one day I'm going to find out this country is not real?
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 28-11-2013 at 15:24.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

    MissMuppet  (28-11-2013),SAgirl  (28-11-2013)

  6. #144
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Australia and gender are made up?
    Of course they are. They don't actually exist without humans having conceptualized them. And there is not universal belief in their existence in the way you or I believe in them. For an indigenous Australian 300 years ago, Australia wasn't a 'real' thing. I don't see why, just because there is consensus amongst adults that Santa is not real, that he is less real than Australia. Both are made up. One is just more widely believed in than the other.

  7. #145
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Of course they are. They don't actually exist without humans having conceptualized them. And there is not universal belief in their existence in the way you or I believe in them. For an indigenous Australian 300 years ago, Australia wasn't a 'real' thing. I don't see why, just because there is consensus amongst adults that Santa is not real, that he is less real than Australia. Both are made up. One is just more widely believed in than the other.
    Santa is not real lol.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (28-11-2013),MissMuppet  (28-11-2013)

  9. #146
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Santa is not real lol.
    I saw him today with my own two eyes. He looked real to me. I think that's pretty good evidence. Just as much evidence as the ground you're standing on.
    Oh, that was a man dressed up as Santa you say? Well the ground you are standing on is just ground. You've just been told its called Australia.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 28-11-2013 at 15:33.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    NancyBlackett  (28-11-2013),Patience Belmont  (28-11-2013),Pina Colada  (28-11-2013),RobinSparkles  (28-11-2013),tootsiegirl  (28-11-2013)

  11. #147
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    4,094
    Thanks
    1,386
    Thanked
    1,357
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I saw him today with my own two eyes. He looked real to me. I think that's pretty good evidence. Just as much evidence as the ground you're standing on.
    Oh, that was a man dressed up as Santa up say? Well the ground you are standing on is just ground. You've just been told its called Australia.
    Oh dear..

    Sorry but that's slightly different! Santa never existed, in the way kids believe it, no matter what you name him.

    Australia, no matter what name, is still REAL. It's land you can see, touch, smell etc. you cannot see, touch and smell Santa - unless he's just the guy dressed up at the mall. But the way kids believe in him, like the guy flying in the air with his reindeers and delivering gifts his elves made in the North Pole - is not real. And u cannot touch see or smell him!

    Different.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (28-11-2013)

  13. #148
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I saw him today with my own two eyes. He looked real to me. I think that's pretty good evidence. Just as much evidence as the ground you're standing on.
    Oh, that was a man dressed up as Santa up say? Well the ground you are standing on is just ground. You've just been told its called Australia.
    ..are you gonna be cool with that dressed up dude you met today - peeking through your windows to spy on the behaviour of your children and letting himself into your house on December 24th?



  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (28-11-2013),MissMuppet  (28-11-2013)

  15. #149
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Santa is a social construct just like a bazillion other things. Marriage is made up. God is made up. Gender is made up. Australia is made up. They are not 'real' apart from the meanings we attach to them. I don't see how Santa is different. But it's cool, I am all good over here with my post modernist ways. I saw my mate Santa today, so I'm happy
    Yes. You've explained the connection I was trying to make to god much better and succinctly than me. They are all social constructs.

  16. #150
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ..are you gonna be cool with that dressed up dude you met today - peeking through your windows to spy on the behaviour of your children and letting himself into your house on December 24th?


    If he's bringing presents? Darn tootin!

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    FrothyFrog  (28-11-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. WDYT of:
    By mordygordy in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 00:45
  2. WDYT of?..... and which do you like best?
    By mordygordy in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 12:21
  3. WDYT of Lara?
    By MsJBO in forum Choosing Baby Names
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 10:24

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Einsteinz Music
Fun & interactive music classes!
Classes are taught by professional musicians! Children are taught the fundamentals of music: beat, pitch, rhythm and tempo through hands-on experience. Click for more details!!!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!