+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I dont think it was up to the shop assistant to say anything.

TBH - i am flat out getting DD to listen to ME at the shops let alone her overhearing a conversation between 2 brothers in a shopping trolley that i am no doubt dragging her past to get in and out as quick as possible.

Your son could have been swinging from the lights and singing at the top of his voice and i doubt it would register with her.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Wowsers. It's not right to tell kids the truth about Santa when in actual fact telling kids he is real is a lie....I don't have an issue with people doing sant and my kids respect that too but, hmmmmm, I really don't know what to say to this. Santa *is* made up.
    Santa is a social construct just like a bazillion other things. Marriage is made up. God is made up. Gender is made up. Australia is made up. They are not 'real' apart from the meanings we attach to them. I don't see how Santa is different. But it's cool, I am all good over here with my post modernist ways. I saw my mate Santa today, so I'm happy

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-11-2013),JungleMum  (28-11-2013),Renn  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Australia and gender are made up?

Australia was named but as far as I know I'm standing on solid ground in a country called australia. You mean someone has been lying to me this whole time and one day I'm going to find out this country is not real?
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 28-11-2013 at 15:24.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-11-2013),SAgirl  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Australia and gender are made up?
    Of course they are. They don't actually exist without humans having conceptualized them. And there is not universal belief in their existence in the way you or I believe in them. For an indigenous Australian 300 years ago, Australia wasn't a 'real' thing. I don't see why, just because there is consensus amongst adults that Santa is not real, that he is less real than Australia. Both are made up. One is just more widely believed in than the other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Of course they are. They don't actually exist without humans having conceptualized them. And there is not universal belief in their existence in the way you or I believe in them. For an indigenous Australian 300 years ago, Australia wasn't a 'real' thing. I don't see why, just because there is consensus amongst adults that Santa is not real, that he is less real than Australia. Both are made up. One is just more widely believed in than the other.
    Santa is not real lol.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),MissMuppet  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Santa is not real lol.
    I saw him today with my own two eyes. He looked real to me. I think that's pretty good evidence. Just as much evidence as the ground you're standing on.
    Oh, that was a man dressed up as Santa you say? Well the ground you are standing on is just ground. You've just been told its called Australia.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 28-11-2013 at 15:33.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (28-11-2013),Patience Belmont  (28-11-2013),Pina Colada  (28-11-2013),RobinSparkles  (28-11-2013),tootsiegirl  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw him today with my own two eyes. He looked real to me. I think that's pretty good evidence. Just as much evidence as the ground you're standing on.
    Oh, that was a man dressed up as Santa up say? Well the ground you are standing on is just ground. You've just been told its called Australia.
    Oh dear..

Sorry but that's slightly different! Santa never existed, in the way kids believe it, no matter what you name him.

Australia, no matter what name, is still REAL. It's land you can see, touch, smell etc. you cannot see, touch and smell Santa - unless he's just the guy dressed up at the mall. But the way kids believe in him, like the guy flying in the air with his reindeers and delivering gifts his elves made in the North Pole - is not real. And u cannot touch see or smell him!

Different.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, that was a man dressed up as Santa up say? Well the ground you are standing on is just ground. You've just been told its called Australia.
    ..are you gonna be cool with that dressed up dude you met today - peeking through your windows to spy on the behaviour of your children and letting himself into your house on December 24th?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),MissMuppet  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Santa is a social construct just like a bazillion other things. Marriage is made up. God is made up. Gender is made up. Australia is made up. They are not 'real' apart from the meanings we attach to them. I don't see how Santa is different. But it's cool, I am all good over here with my post modernist ways. I saw my mate Santa today, so I'm happy
    Yes. You've explained the connection I was trying to make to god much better and succinctly than me. They are all social constructs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ..are you gonna be cool with that dressed up dude you met today - peeking through your windows to spy on the behaviour of your children and letting himself into your house on December 24th?

If he's bringing presents? Darn tootin!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

FrothyFrog  (28-11-2013)