+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    yeah that too But wasn't the date 25 Dec a pagan date?
    ..but anewme isn't talking about Christmas festival dates?

She's talking about the character of Santa and who he represents.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    @delirium
    Christmas wasn't a pagan tradition. 'Yule' was the pagan tradition - that got absorbed into Christian festival of Christmas.

There was no getting absorbed, it was taken over by the Christians and given a new name. The Christians needed a way of turning the pagans, so what better way than taking over all the major holidays, give them new names and make them about their religion rather than pagan beliefs. Oh and throw in some gifts, cause no one says no to something free and it is a great way to obtain loyalty.

OP, the shop assistant was totally wrong to approach your son.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But if we coming at this from being religious and it being about jesus.... xmas is actually a pagan festival, and apparently Jesus was actually born in March.. or was it Sept??

Look, I'm sorry your child was upset. I have similar aged kids and a son that just blurts stuff out without thinking. It's not your fault he did it, nor was it ok how she spoke to him. But I think people's angst is that the fact you choose not to do santa is your choice - but you may be effectively taking that choice from others to do santa when another child overhears your son saying santa isn't real.
    I disagree. Your trying to force your choice on us.
    Your saying that if my child is scared that to bad. We cant comfort or tell our child the truth. Your choice to believe is more important.
    Del we will never agree and this really upsetting me so I am not going to leave now.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Of course it's ok to believe what you want. It's not always ok to say it in public. This applies to many, many things, and this is no different.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

bini86  (28-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (28-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (28-11-2013),tootsiegirl  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
    There was no getting absorbed, it was taken over by the Christians and given a new name. The Christians needed a way of turning the pagans, so what better way than taking over all the major holidays, give them new names and make them about their religion rather than pagan beliefs. Oh and throw in some gifts, cause no one says no to something free and it is a great way to obtain loyalty.

OP, the shop assistant was totally wrong to approach your son.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm happy with the term absorbed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I disagree. Your trying to force your choice on us.
    Your saying that if my child is scared that to bad. We cant comfort or tell our child the truth. Your choice to believe is more important.
    Del we will never agree and this really upsetting me so I am not going to leave now.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Your DS sounds so kind and caring towards his little brother. I would be very proud of him if I were you.

There was no malice in what he did. It's not like he is running around telling random children 'Santa isn't real'.

I hope he's feeling better today.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Of course it's ok to believe what you want. It's not always ok to say it in public. This applies to many, many things, and this is no different.
    Yes. I think that teaching your kids respect for other people's beliefs is much more important than saving them from a harmless white lie.

I can't wrap my head around the fact that people are so wound up on the fact that Santa is a lie... Like it's going to teach our kids that lying is okay.

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP can I ask? What was your son upset about that singing 'Santa isn't real' would comfort him? Seems an odd thing to sing about?

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe anewme's youngest son was scared of Santa, hence the reassurance that he wasn't real.

My youngest sister was also scared of Santa when we were little.... it does happen sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ..but anewme isn't talking about Christmas festival dates?

She's talking about the character of Santa and who he represents.
    No but she was hinted that she supports the 'real' meaning of xmas which is a religious one...