+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ..the magic sleigh that brings gifts? ...the anticipation of receiving gifts?

I was actually quoting the line that Santa enablers use.

*note, light hearted use of 'santa enablers'
    :P
    I think this is the first time we've disagreed on something. It feels a little weird tbh it's ok though, you can't always be perfect.......... jokes

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),FiveInTheBed  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ummmmm Santa is real- who else leaves the stocking of chocolates and socks and other things at my parents for me every year.
    For the non believing families to me the magic of Santa is about the anticipation, the mystery etc.
    Writing a letter to Santa, posting it, baking Choc chip cookies, leaving out cookies, beer and some carrots, struggling to get to sleep as you listen for those reindeer hoofs to land on the roof, sneaking out of your beds first thing in the morning to see if your stocking is full. That's the magic- the presents are such a small part of it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meags82 For This Useful Post:

bini86  (28-11-2013),Chippa  (28-11-2013),dee1  (28-11-2013),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think this is the first time we've disagreed on something. It feels a little weird tbh it's ok though, you can't always be perfect.......... jokes
    awww...I'm glad you've had some time of self reflection and come to that conclusion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We do Santa, Easter bunny and the tooth fairy. I would of hated my child being spoken to like that from a stranger but maybe it just rattled her.. Of course it's ok for your child not to believe but other children do and she may of just been horrified that another child may hear it. Kids are only kids for such a short time and they only believe in the "magic" of Christmas for such a short period... If a 7 year old heard that when they were already doubting it that probably would of been enough for him/her to go oh I knew it. I have always told my children that whatever they believe in is real, whatever they want to think is magic is magic. Santa is one of those things that they do want to believe in and I'm happy with that, I would be sad if I was at the shops and my DS whom is 5 heard some other child singing that Santa is not real but I would deal with it and hope that he wasn't shattered and that he would make his own decision regarding it.
    But yes the way she spoke was def rude!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to clarify, I'm staunchly atheist lol I just cringed reading my child being raised in a christian family I worded it badly so my fault not yours. But my point still stands - as a parent that thinks god and religion is a lot of made up stories, much like santa, I would be cross if my kids (who know I'm atheist) tried to tell a religious child god doesn't exist. Bc that would be disrespectful.

Sorry, didn't mean YOU specifically...just someone more generally :P
    I guess my point is that I'd find it very strange for a staunch Christian to be upset because a kid said god wasn't real. If a child really strongly believes something, then that shouldn't be enough to stop them. If it IS enough, then it seems odd that someone would be so upset about it. Isn't that more about what the parents want (to see their children enjoying something in particular) than what the child may want?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My kids are older than that and still believe DD though I think is starting to catch on, if she asks me for the truth I will tell her the truth.

It's a tiny lie, it's not like it's a bad one. And the idea santa is just about presents? you don't know how other families do xmas, what they buy etc. That's a pretty big generalisation.

OP you did ask WDYT - who was the rude one. I don't think anyone is saying your child is rude per say, and again, she had no right to speak to a 5yo like that. I think people are more getting annoyed by a bit of a self righteous air. If you buy your kids presents still at xmas, you are still buying into theconsumerism , it's just from you??

Live and let live.
    Actually lots of people have said he was rude. It was also implied that i was a bad parent because he said it.

As for the consumerism, I was referring to the man in the red suit that historical was made up by coke. I have also said we know/talk about the story behind St nick etc...

Del maybe I should have worded better.

AS for "I think people are more getting annoyed by a bit of a self righteous air." That is exactly how i feel. Why is your kids feelings more important than comforting my frighten child.

NOW if my child went up to another child and told santa isn't real and I backed him up Than that would argument would stand up. But he didn't and never would. He was being kind to his brother. We have taught I our kids to be tollerant of other beliefs.

I am ****ed off that some people think it alright to tell my child that he should not be able to believe what he wants. I guess That is reserved only for people who believe in santa.

That he should be punished for telling the truth is well disgusting to say the least.

I don't tell everyone that says to him santa is real to stop lying to my child. We just say merry Christmas and leave it at that. There is no reason to burst there bubble on purpose.

So yes I am leaving this thread now as i am going out to do a full day of christmas shopping and than attending my child christmas play and concert. Wearing our santa hats.

I AM NOT ANTI SANTA - I am against rude so and so yelling at my kid for comforting his brother and telling the truth.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),MissMuppet  (28-11-2013),Purple Lily  (28-11-2013),Renn  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Back to the OP - I've noticed over the course of the thread, that no one has acknowledged that anewme actually teaches her children about Saint Nicholas.
    [and I'm guessing her choice for this option is based on her family's religious beliefs?]

Saint Nicholas - a real person who lived in Turkey.

So teaching history = bad?

Fluffing up a fantasy = good?

..bizarre little world we live in today.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Actually lots of people have said he was rude. It was also implied that i was a bad parent because he said it.

As for the consumerism, I was referring to the man in the red suit that historical was made up by coke. I have also said we know/talk about the story behind St nick etc...

Del maybe I should have worded better.

AS for "I think people are more getting annoyed by a bit of a self righteous air." That is exactly how i feel. Why is your kids feelings more important than comforting my frighten child.

NOW if my child went up to another child and told santa isn't real and I backed him up Than that would argument would stand up. But he didn't and never would. He was being kind to his brother. We have taught I our kids to be tollerant of other beliefs.

I am ****ed off that some people think it alright to tell my child that he should not be able to believe what he wants. I guess That is reserved only for people who believe in santa.

That he should be punished for telling the truth is well disgusting to say the least.

I don't tell everyone that says to him santa is real to stop lying to my child. We just say merry Christmas and leave it at that. There is no reason to burst there bubble on purpose.

So yes I am leaving this thread now as i am going out to do a full day of christmas shopping and than attending my child christmas play and concert. Wearing our santa hats.

I AM NOT ANTI SANTA - I am against rude so and so yelling at my kid for comforting his brother and telling the truth.
    But if we coming at this from being religious and it being about jesus.... xmas is actually a pagan festival, and apparently Jesus was actually born in March.. or was it Sept??

Look, I'm sorry your child was upset. I have similar aged kids and a son that just blurts stuff out without thinking. It's not your fault he did it, nor was it ok how she spoke to him. But I think people's angst is that the fact you choose not to do santa is your choice - but you may be effectively taking that choice from others to do santa when another child overhears your son saying santa isn't real.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @delirium
    Christmas wasn't a pagan tradition. 'Yule' was the pagan tradition - that got absorbed into Christian festival of Christmas.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    @delirium
    Christmas wasn't a pagan tradition. 'Yule' was the pagan tradition - that got absorbed into Christian festival of Christmas.

yeah that too But wasn't the date 25 Dec a pagan date?