+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Attachment issues in 6 month old

Ds is six months old. For the past two odd weeks I have been having issues with attachment on the right side. It is progressively getting worse.
    But its not my nipple that is sore it is the area around it. I feed him under the arm, as on the right I have never been able to get him attached any other way.
    It is getting to the point that I am dreading feeding on that side and as such feed off the left more often but am worried this will cause issues with mastitis.
    I use hydrogel discs and have been putting paw paw on but nothing is working. When I had cracked nipples these both worked a treat.
    The area around the nipple is bright pink and very tender to touch.
    Any ideas?
    I did think of thrush but would have thought both nipples and baby would be affected.
    I fed dd with nipple Shields till twelve months and have fought not to use them with this bub even through issues with being prem and pumping etc.
    I would love to feed till twelve months but the pain is starting to get to me.
    Any help would be great.

Sent from my MB526 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think thrush. I had it on both nipples, one a lot worse than the other though and dd never got it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do you treat it?
    Do you have to go to a doctor?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I did, it was awfully painful. Is around your nipple red at all? My doctor gave me cream for it and it cleared up fast. He told me to put it on after a feed and any residue that was left at the next feed wouldn't hurt bub and would help prevent her from getting it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes around my nipple is bright red and last night I let it air out and it actually got more painful.
    Getting into a doctor here is hard work do you think I could get something over the counter at a chemist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are several over the counter treatments. The one they recommend first is nilstat (I think that's the name, 4am feeding in the dark here so can't check my packets) which after finding it wasn't working a quick Google revealed it only works for 60% of cases. So I got the daktarin gel which worked. My lactation consultant said to use it for at least 2 weeks. Like you, my bub didn't have it either.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive got thrush also & my dd is 12mths. We're using daktarin gel for both of us, and sunning a few times a day. Keep treating for 2weeks, I didn't do this and its come back again within 3wks

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app