+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Would a private school help to arrange a payment plan?

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Smaller, catholic schools might. But $8000 a year schools...they seem less interested. I've never tried but the school we applied to turned me off with their attitude to fees - it was basically whoever had the cash to pony up was accepted, rather then an interview process and merit based selection. ETA - sorry I read that wrong, I thought you meant fee reduction. Payment options are pretty standard at all schools, by the week, fortnight, term or yearly.

Oh and another point to remember with the expensive private schools - the fees are only the beginning. Extra curricular activities can be a requirement- at least 2 a year from Year 3 for example. The uniforms are very expensive. And they have other requirements eg. if you make the interschool team for something you need to buy a different 'uniform', all the bits for the interschool athletics team added up to $200.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 27-11-2013 at 20:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does her school have mixed grade classes? When DD2 was in grade 1(at a public school) she was placed in a 1/2 class, and then in grade 2 was in a 2/3 class, she did really well and was able to work with the children in the grades above her.

This year in grade 4 she has had another girl in her class who also works above grade level and the teacher has been great at providing them with suitable work.

If private school is going to stretch the budget then is there another public school nearby you could look at?

The 2 non-catholic private schools in our area offer scholarships from grade 5 onwards.

Goodluck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a great Catholic School at Mango Hill, fees are just over $2000. Uniforms are around the same cost as public schools, all books & stationary is provided and there are no additional charges throughout the year for excursions/swimming etc.

Fees can be paid weekly/fortnightly or by term.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    I'll be interested to see what responses you get. I've not come across scholarships for primary school aged children (at the schools we have looked at) The earliest I've seen is from Year 5 in some of the boys high schools where Year 5 is their intake year.

To my knowledge a scholarship test is sat in Year 6. You sit the one test, and pay the application fee to however many schools you want to apply for a scholarship. Scholarships may or may not last until Year 12, it may be a scholarship for say Year 7-10 and then you have to reapply for Year 11 and 12 or you are on your own with the fees.

A good school with those programs doesn't have to cost $8000 a year. I have lots of friends with children at an Anglican School in North Brisbane and they are always complaining and certainly feel they don't get value for money.
    I'm curious about the Anglican school as I've been looking into one in north Brisbane recently - is it the coed prep to 12 one?

Sassy I don't know of any that do official scholarships for primary (and I've been looking around a lot lately) but if you talk to them they may offer a hardship reduction in fees if you show them your daughter's reports/achievement level as its good for them have talented kids at the school, especially for NAPLAN years. On the flip side, not all offer extension classes for primary. In that regard you may be better trying for an out of area place with a large state school that has enough students for dedicated extension classes eg Narangba Valley.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That price seems fairly reasonable for a private school in a capital city. Regional areas are usually a bit cheaper and can also outperform these schools too, but that's another story. Religious schools (ie Catholic) are cheaper, but always check out the NAPLAN data because some are really no different to a state school.

I work at a private school (currently on maternity leave) and it doesn't have scholarships of primary school age. The youngest is year 7. The year 7 scholarship is for years 7-10. The scholarship test is run by ACER which is a cooperative test meaning that if the schools you are interested are involved, it is just one test your child would sit. However, you would still need to pay the exam fee for each school which is generally around $150. It is an aptitude test. The exam is generally held early in the year (ie start of school) for the following year. As in for year 7, 2014, the kids sat and had scholarships awarded at the start of THIS year. That's for academic scholarships, the school I'm at also offers music bursaries (year 8 entry), boarding (year 8) and general bursaries (all rounder) for years 8-12 at any stage. It's all outlined in detail on the school's website so pick some schools and start looking on their website or give their enrolments person a call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And in response to the payment plan, private (not catholic) schools do, at least the one I'm at does. It just is a matter of asking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I mean by that to clarify is yes, the religious schools probably do offer a payment plan, but the school I work at which isn't Catholic or religious, does offer that option too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 goes to a catholic school. In our diocese they have a gifted & talented extension program set up that the eligible children attend, they have workshops & different things throughout the year - pretty sure its primary students though not infants.

Our fees are $2000 a year and you can pay them yearly, term, month, fortnight or weekly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberlina81 View Post
    Religious schools (ie Catholic) are cheaper, but always check out the NAPLAN data because some are really no different to a state school.
    DD1 goes to a cheaper Catholic school and got Band 6 across the board for NAPLAN, when her year level averaged just below state average. Just because the schools average may be lower doesn't mean your child's will be or they don't offer extension work, or classes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I'm curious about the Anglican school as I've been looking into one in north Brisbane recently - is it the coed prep to 12 one?
    Yes that's the one. It is a very good school, but there are other very good schools, and a lot of people I know don't feel like it is value for money (class sizes are growing, facilities are deteriorating, grounds are always untidy). I believe the fees are going up a lot next year as well, I know at least 4 parents who will be moving their children next year. There are others that treat it just as a primary school and move their children for high school, and there are others that love it.
    Last edited by Pina Colada; 28-11-2013 at 06:59.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-11-2013)