+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have no idea wtf an OC class is... so I don't know.

I just know that this school just isn't working for us. We've met with the teacher, the deputy principal, the guidance officer several times. It's just not working, and I want to move her to somewhere that WILL advance her.

The teacher has slacked off. She used to give DD advanced homework and home readers (even though she didn't provide any extended in-class work) but now she doesn't even bother with that.

She's starting to get very bored with school because it's far too easy... I don't want this to continue, because I fear she'll get to the point where she just doesn't bother because it's never a challenge anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the meantime, I find extra curricular activities are a great way to increase interest in school. Choir, gardening club, art classes, tech classes, strings program etc are all during school hours. 'Sit down and learn' is only one part of the school day.

Of course the teachers should continue challenge her though and if her teacher is not making arrangements then I would be peeved as well. And make sure that the current teacher provides a report on your DD to her new teacher so the new teacher knows to give her extension work straight away. Nothing worse then wasted weeks before the new teacher realises.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    OC means opportunity class. It's for year 5 students. They must sit a test to get in. Must only be in nsw.

I would go up to the principal and express your concerns and ask which teacher she will have next year. Tell them your child is now becoming bored as she's not challenged anymore. Ask if they know other schools that might be more challenging.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-11-2013 at 19:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have told the deputy (the only one who will see me) about my issues before, and she wants to push DD up a year level, but is restricted in doing so.

DD is only in Grade 2 so not sure an OC would be helpful at this point anyway.

Pina, she's not interested in that sort of thing and work hours dictate that it's impossible for us anyhow. She is the kind of kid who LIKES sitting down and learning. She spends her free time at home solving maths problems, doing logic puzzles, reading and writing. She pretty much does school work for enjoyment... I don't get it, because that so wasn't me, but yeah, she's not interested in music or sport or anything like that.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sorry I haven't had a chance to read through the other replies yet so apologies if it has already been mentioned, but have you looked into the programs offered at public schools? My DS goes to a Select Entry highschool that caters for regular main****** as well as advanced children. He was required to sit an exam and was accepted- the benefits are fantastic, at his particular school the program is regarded as equal to that of one of the most expensive and exclusive private school in my state. One example is the ability to study subjects at a university level in year 10 and complete the same certified courses that they do.
    The exam itself cost me approximately $100- best I've ever spent.
    Are you researching what your local schools offer? Have you spoken with her teachers?
    ETA: sorry, I am talking about highschool. In primary school all that offered my DS was a special class where they studied things from a philosophical point of view- the school chose 2 children from each year level to take part and DS was chosen in grade prep :-)

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 27-11-2013 at 20:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Already took the best local public school I could Marigold... and that's turned out to not be so great... hence looking into private schools in the area. If we were in another area, a public school might be great, but there's nothnig good here.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Would a private school help to arrange a payment plan?

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 27-11-2013 at 20:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just enrolled Dsd in a private school and you can pay the fee off all through the term aslong as it's paid by the end of that term. So our plan is to pay the levy fee upfront and then divide the actual tuition fee by the weeks in that term. It ends up seeming like a lot less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would speak to the private schools in the area. Our kids are all booked into a private school and we were very upfront that 6k per kid per year for 6 kids was going to be difficult but we would move heaven and earth to give our kids a good education. We have been given the option of paying weekly, fortnightly, monthly, per term or per year. Ask what payment options they have. The school we are enrolled at are mostly middle class working families so they are used to payment plans and other arrangements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes a lot of private school have them. Ring and ask.

The 3 private (Christian) schools my kids have been to also offer discounts for low income earners and payment plans.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app