+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Scholarships to private schools?

Does anyone have any info or experience with this? For primary education. Do they exist?

I need to do something about DD not being challenged enough at school and am considering a private school that has more facilities and a gifted program.

One school I'm looking at will cost me about $8000 (fees alone) a year which is a decent amount of our annual income... So am going to investigate to see if there's a scholarship program and just curious if anyone can share stories about your experiences with this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I got a scholarship but that was in high school and was an academic and athletic scholarship where basically my grades had to stay at a certain level and I had to train and compete to keep my scholarship. The process was probably different though, as I was older and had to write an essay for my application.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll be interested to see what responses you get. I've not come across scholarships for primary school aged children (at the schools we have looked at) The earliest I've seen is from Year 5 in some of the boys high schools where Year 5 is their intake year.

To my knowledge a scholarship test is sat in Year 6. You sit the one test, and pay the application fee to however many schools you want to apply for a scholarship. Scholarships may or may not last until Year 12, it may be a scholarship for say Year 7-10 and then you have to reapply for Year 11 and 12 or you are on your own with the fees.

A good school with those programs doesn't have to cost $8000 a year. I have lots of friends with children at an Anglican School in North Brisbane and they are always complaining and certainly feel they don't get value for money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you'll struggle to find a primary school that offers scholarships.

I work at a school that has years 5-12 and students aren't eligible for scholarships until year 8. If they are academically gifted, Look into the ACER exams. This is what schools often use to ascertain talented academic kids with statewide comparisons.

For now maybe look at additional program's or schools that offer specific gifted and talented program's.

if you do manage a scholarship, grades need to be maintained to a high standard or you risk losing the scholarship.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I would be looking at other public schools to see if they offer gifted programs. DD attends a public and has been involved with the gifted program since year 1 when it starts.

I would also talk to her teacher and ask them to be offering C extension work, more complicated spelling lists, a seperate maths homework sheet just for her. That's what DD's teachers have been doing and it works well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Scholarships for entry into year 5 is the earliest I know of.

What about a school that does the IB primary years program? I know of a few government schools in Victoria who do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.

It's just something someone was (forcefully... lol), suggesting I look into, and I wasn't even sure if it was a possibility.

I know that DD needs further challenges and that her current teacher is focused pretty much solely on the kids who are struggling rather than challenging the kids who are excelling... and the school isn't offering a gifted and talented program at this point in time, so I really am at the mercy of how willing to challenge DD the teacher is. Previous teachers have been very good with her... I think her current teacher just isn't too interested in furthering her.

I may just arrange some appointments with a few of hte private schools who offer extension programs and decide if we can actually afford it at this point or not...

The public schools around here are pretty... well, we put her in the best one we could and it's not that crash hot.

I wish I could put her back with her year 1 teacher... she was great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Will she have a different teacher next year? Maybe wait and see what happens. The school should provide some sort of meet the teacher at the start of the year and you could explain your current concerns, asking for an ILIP. Technically kids who aren't being extended appropriately and not continuing to make the same gains each semester should be classes " at risk" and have and ILIP to ensure they continue to move ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband and I work in a P-12 private college. Scholarships are offered from year 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Do they have oc classes in qld?