+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From my perspective - out situation was a little different to yours in that we were renting in the eastern states (inner city suburbs in both Sydney & Melbourne - 10 mins train trip to the CBD in both cases) - had an awesome lifestyle. We moved back home to Adelaide in order to "be able to afford a mortgage" cause everyone knows living expenses are cheaper in Adelaide......biggest falsehood out there!

Yes, rent/mortgage is cheaper, but the salaries are so much lower, so you don't get the benefit of the lower mortgage. Add the fact that electricity, gas, water etc is more expensive in Adelaide than anywhere else in the country, & financially we are far worse off than what we were before.

Sure, we're near family now so have babysitters, but we can't afford to go anywhere!!!!

Financially we were far better off in both Sydney or Melbourne, our lifestyle was way better, & we were flying home once every three months to see out families anyway, so we still had good relationships with everyone.

Personally I am now of the opinion that the dream of "owning your own house" is overrated, if it means you can't afford to enjoy your life!

I'm not sure what living expenses are like in Brissie but it's worth some research before you make your decision!

My advice to you is work out your most important motivator for your move -- be it housing, financial, family, friends, whatever -- and that will help you decide.

Good luck, it isn't an easy decision!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with pp to work out your number 1 motivator to help you decide. We're moving back to my home 'town' (Melbourne haha) from regional WA. There are lots of minor factors in the decision but number 1 is my mum's health, it's not bad yet but it's clear she'll only be around for another 10 years or so and I want her to get to enjoy her grandchildren while she's still able to actually do fun stuff with them.

Knowing my top motivator means if the other lesser things don't work out as we hoped we still know we made the right decision.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you looked into cheaper suburbs within sydney as an option? We are in the shire - it's good and bad. Coming from London it felt tooooo suburban at first but we are near beaches, shopping, cafes etc but without the crazy traffic and $$$$ for housing (tho not cheap). I miss the buzz of a city and dp travels an hour to work each way - hard for me to work as mainly good jobs in city and then too far for school pick ups etc. I do like to be able to go into the city when I want but avoid traffic most of the time. Sometimes I would love to move to nz to be near grandparents but I'm not that keen for complete restart again. It's very hard to find somewhere to live that's affordable with space but near people/facilities/jobs etc. I would be inclined to wait to get a job first and if that happens try out Brisbane for a year or 2? If you time things with starting school you will meet people that way but its not the same as keeping your close social circle

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Naboo View Post
    Haha yes without trying to be snobby I'm talking about northern suburbs of Brissy vs inner Sydney. And either way i have little to no friends in Brissy as the ones I have are spread out.
    How do you think you would cope without your friends? DH and I moved to a different city for better jobs (so different situation) but we had neither friends nor family there and we lasted only 8 months before returning to our previous city. We couldn't live without our good friends!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DH and I moved from inner Sydney to a regional town where we had no friends or family, we knew no one. 2 years on, we have an amazing group of supportive friends, a mortgage that is about half what we were paying in rent in Sydney and a great lifestyle, great food, great shops, great scenery and animals. I love it, I would never move back to Sydney, even though at the time I thought I loved it and could never be happy anywhere else.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Move to Brissie hands down!
    Last edited by Gracie's Mum; 27-11-2013 at 10:39.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gracie's Mum For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleMum View Post
    Would it be possible to have your Sydney home rented? And either rent or buy a lower value property in Brissie (rather than mortgage free)? That way your not fully committed. I would personally like to spend time with my parents whilst I could.

Also, re friends in Brissie, you'll make them easy enough through work & your 5 year old who no doubt will make friends through schools & activities.
    This!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies everyone.

To answer a couple of questions:
    1. I wouldn't have the heart to move up to Brisbane then move back to Sydney. It would devestate my parents. It would be better to not move up there at all. They don't even know we are toying around with the idea.
    2. No not interested in moving into a cheaper suburb in Sydney. WE may as well stay where we are and not at all interested in commuting into work with the traffic.
    3. The motivation to move is that we would buy a house outright, live close to my parents, have money to study and travel especially more regular trips back to Ireland for DH family (where as now it would only be once every 5 years). So yeah very big motivation.
    4. I would be very very lonely without my friends. When I moved to Sydney it took a long time to make proper friends and I was absolutely miserable. I would miss being able to walk to friends houses. All our friends know eachother etc.
    5. My biggest fear is what happened to Heids89 however in the back of my mind what if we ended up like beebs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I just add, having moved pre-kids and having moved with kids, making new friends when you have kids I found to be so much easier. You just have access to more social things beyond clubs and bars.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    The second options.