+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Frustrated trying to find a GP - ACT

Does anyone have any recommendations for a GP in Canberra who is experienced dealing with women who are TTC, pregnant and then beyond the pregnancy?
    We haven't been here long and I am having trouble with a GP.
    I went to one and she was average, I'd go back but she only works one day every second week, they don't bulk bill and she isn't going to be increasing her hours at all. Not ideal.
    Then I went somewhere else and had an absolutely awful experience where the doctor told me I was being silly and to talk to her when I wanted IVF.
    I prefer north side but can travel.
    I prefer bulk billing (doesn't everyone?) but it's not at all essential.
    I don't have a preference for male or female.
    If I find a great GP I'd like to consider doing shared care when I finally do fall pregnant - again not essential but nice.
    Basically I need a nice GP with an understanding of women's medicine and pregnancy while isn't an imbecile!!
    Can anyone help??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi #Mama
    I've struggled to find a new GP aswell, they're either full or crappy, and I'm not waiting 3hrs to see a GP at the medical centre.

try either Majura Park Medical Centre. They've just opened, I hear they're not too bad.
    Unit 1, 25 Mustang Avenue. Majura Park Medical Centre. Majura Park ACT 2609. T: 02 6248 2600. W: www.airportgp.com.au

or Majura Medical Centre

3/151 Cowper St Dickson ACT 2602
    (02) 6247 5833
    They have a couple of docs there, our family has been going there for quiet a few yrs, we see Dr Ros who only works Wednesdays though and it's annoying esp when TTC (So I'm looking for a new one too), not sure about the other docs.

Are you TTC? We will start TTC early next year.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mybabyjade For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I see Dr. Madden at Wentworth Avenue Family Practice. I did shared care with him and the hospital antenatal clinic with no dramas, and he has been great since my son's arrival. He started bulk billing me when I was pregnant (no complaints!) and also bulk-bills another patient I know. There are lots of doctors at the practice and I have seen a few of them over the years when my regular doctor was away and found them all to be pretty good. They are located in Kingston. My grandmother sees Dr. Henry Haden and Dr. John Deery at the practice at the Dickson shops, I have found them both to be very helpful and seem to genuinely care about assisting their patients.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    West Belconnen Health Co-op bulk bill for a yearly fee of around $60 for a family or about half that for a single person. Several locations including Belconnen, Kippax, Charnwood, Evatt. I like Dr. Hasitha at Kippax who arranged for my fertility blood tests and gave a referral to the Canberra Fertility Centre who were excellent. Dr. Kingsley (male) and Dr. Oguns (female) are also good. I can usually get same day appointments if I am not fussy about who I see. Recommend them definitely

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ps. If you fall pregnant I highly recommend the birth centre at Canberra hospital! My continuity midwife was amazing. Brilliant service

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou, there's a couple of names in there I haven't tried yet that I will give a call.
    I definitely didn't realize how lucky I was with my old doctor in the NT! She was just amazing and I've been a bit disappointed since I've been down here. I think it might have something to do with my age as well - I'm 24 and we are TTC and I think I get dismissed very quickly because I'm still "only young".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't realise how bad it was until I went to Sydney then came back. And yes I think age has something to do with it. I'm 30 and still get told I'm young and there's still plenty of time. Tell that to my body clock that screaming blue murder and stressing out about ease of fertility in older years...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mybabyjade For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mama, I had the same problem earlier this year. My doctor retired. I had an awful experience with one doctor but eventually found Dr Helen Caulton. She is at the city family practice and she is wonderful! She has been through ivf herself so completely understood what was going on. I recommend her highly!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mona424 For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mona!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I highly recommend Dr Tang at florey medical centre. He was our family dr for 7 years and now that we have moved to melbourne I miss him every time I have to go to a dr. Dr tang is cheery, great bedside manner, really looks after his regulars (if we had to go back for the same thing because it didn't clear up etc or if we only had an appt for one of ua but I needed something for DD whilst we were there he wouldng charge us).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

#Mama  (27-11-2013)