+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feeling lost

I wasn’t sure where to put this but I’m hoping other working mums have been in a similar position :-)
    I’m a SAHM to a 5 month old DS. I love it but I’m feeling a bit lost in regards to my career. I was an accountant prior to having DS. I really enjoyed where I was working however I wasn’t there long before I fell pregnant so after that I think things were a bit tense. I told them I’d be coming back in February but DH has said that I could stay at home until DS turns 1 at least and I’m taking him up on that. I can’t even imagine going back to work any time soon and feel so so grateful I can stay at home.
    Accounting isn’t really a profession where you can take lots of time off and slip back into it. I took 10 months off at one stage and had a hard enough time getting back in! Plus there are not many part time jobs at all. Even my work was trying to push me to 4 days a week once I go back :-/
    I also have my personal training certs. I’ve had my own business but I’m not sure I want to return to that as I know how hard I worked to try and attract clients. I don’t think I want to spend that time doing that whilst I have young children. It was a similar story when I worked within the gym environment.
    Now I have no idea where to go from here. DH is going for a new job and he mentioned that if he is successful I may not have to go back to work at all until all the kids are in school. I’ve never pictured myself as a SAHM so I’d still like to do something, but I have no idea what. I’ve gone from job to job, studied and tried so many different things that I’d feel so silly going in a complete new direction. But to be honest I feel like that’s what I need.
    I’m not sure if this has made any sense but has anyone been in a similar situation and what have you done about it? Has anyone had a complete career overhaul post children? ugh sorry about the lack of paragraphs, it's not letting me press enter :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi teenz,

My story is kind of similar to yours.

I had been employed as temporary part time for 7 years as a teacher in a job share position. This was around taking mat leave for my kids. When I left to go on mat leave this time my boss and I had worked out that I would be returning at the start of next year for 2 days/wk. this was the case a few weeks ago too.
    I got a phone call from him earlier this week saying he doesn't have anything for me until term 2 and it's only 1 day/wk for two terms
    So now I'm looking at an alternative career too. No advice, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I'm sure there are plenty of women in our situation who has to take on other work since having kids. It sucks but it's reality unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you do book keeping from home? My book keeper is a sahm and cpa but is in between having babies and working. She only has about 3 clients and she comes to us or I go to her once a fortnight with the accounts and she saves me heaps of time. She does them at night or when baby sleeps. I found her by an add in the gold coast bulletin.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, my husband and I run a small business and our bookkeeper (cpa) is a mum to 3 boys and maintains a few clients to keep herself busy. Sometimes she does our work by remote access to our pc, and also after hours, so that could be an option.

Also, have you thought about getting involved in a charity? Since my DS was born I spend half a day a week with him in tow, working with some other women for a local charity which does work in Africa. It's so rewarding and flexible. I get to use my professional skills and have half intelligent conversation! Lots of charities need treasurers or you could be involved in other ways.

Good luck - it's so important to look after yourself and having a life apart from bubs is sometimes really helpful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi

i started doing private practice work after i had my DS and was on mat leave..it seemed like a good idea at the time ...but actually was sooooo time consuming trying to build a business etc so i gave it up when i had DD and there is no way i could do it now with 2 kids (im an allied health professional)....im lucky that i was fully employed also in public health so have the option now of part time so i understand that even tho private business seems flexible..building it up is full time for sure and i was warned that starting a business with really little kids at the same time is very hard.

i guess there are a number of things to consider...like if you dont want to give up your "profession" do u do the 4 days a week eventually, how long is the job available for...do u get or go back to a permanent job in that field so that if you have another baby you can maybe get part time later??? my SIL is an accountant and works 3 days per week for a telco after having kids for 5 years now......are u planning on working Full time when the kids are school aged...its hard..there are so many variables....i would consider carefully throwing a "profession" away that youve worked hard for so to speak cos u could regret it later...if u take the option of being a SAHM can u do volunteer work in your field so that at least your not out of the 'loop'..
    eg my dad was an accountant and after he retired he had his own business doing tax etc that kept him busy enough with some extra $$$ but he also sat on a few community organsiations as thier "accountant" etc....

i found making a decision about work quite hard when your trying to balance your own interests/ family needs / childs needs / personal wants / availability of work optiosn etc...complicated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone for your responses Bookkeeping is actually something I considered, however I was never sure if I could use my degree or if I'd have to do a short course in bookkeeping. I'm going to look into this now. At this stage I don't plan on working full time even when the kids are in school. Well maybe high school but I think I'd like to be there after school for them in primary school. Volunteering is also a nice idea, I will look into this as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jfblady72 View Post
    i would consider carefully throwing a "profession" away that youve worked hard for so to speak cos u could regret it later...
    Yes I do worry about this. Since I have already studied etc I'm hesitant to go in a completely new direction as I kind of see it as a waste of time. I actually hated accounting prior to my last job as I realise now that I just wasn't in the right jobs for me, so I guess it kind of opened my eyes to the fact that I may not want to be out of the industry completely. You're right, I already have the degree and experience, why throw that away?!