+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Really? I'm sure the SIL has better things to do with her time than purposely mess with a second tier guest. I'm sorry but the conspiracy theories in this thread are a little ridiculous.
    Why else would she invite them to her 21st and wedding if she has no other contact with them? Screams of gift grab to me. Especially when the op said that her parents are good gifters lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I totally read this as it was the OPs brother getting married, so the groom's parents were the ones not returning from the trip, and STILL thought the sil was the unreasonable one.

With the further info I think that b!tch be crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents were invited to DH's brothers wedding, see no issue and think its nice that my in laws see my family as important too.

However I think your SIL has gone a bit bridezilla! If she knew the dates then she shouldn't have booked the wedding if she wanted them to return in time. Fair enough if she didn't know the dates she might be disappointed but to expect them to return is way ott!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really wouldn't see any issue in it if they were close generally. But for people she hardly sees, to invite them to two "gift giving occasions" and knowing that they would be away for one of them, it's a bit fishy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps no-one is being unreasonable.

Perhaps SIL asked for the dates of your parents trip to try and accommodate them... But with other things (more important guests, venue availability etc) it just couldn't be worked out. Perhaps she still wanted to invite your parents to be polite, but doesn't really expect them to change their plans.

I would not blame anyone, it's not as if its important that your parents are there. Stay quiet, let each party handle things gracefully (ie your parents "sorry we can't make it, would have loved to come but changing the flights would have cost too much. Have a great wedding." SIL "so sorry you couldn't make it, I totally understand. I'm just sorry we had to choose a date that didnt fit with your trip.").

Don't hold a grudge against your SIL as I doubt she did this on purpose (she has more important things to worry about than choosing a date for her wedding for the sole purpose of pi$$ing your parents off).
    This.

Doesn't seem like an issue at all to me. Sometimes we make an issue out of nothing (I know i can!) so I just wouldn't worry about it at all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Qwerty For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Neither are being unreasonable. I would think it highly odd if your SIL arranged her wedding so your parents could attend (who after all are no relation to her). People would never get married if they arranged their wedding date around every potential guest.

At the same time I would not see why your parents would give a gift (particularly a generous one) to someone they hardly know for a wedding they are not attending!

Maybe a bowl from Turkey would be a good gift

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (26-11-2013),thesmallestmeasure  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your sil is! If she knew their dates, why didn't she just book for the following week???

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your SIL is being a brat. I wouldn't expect any of my IL's to invite my parents to their wedding and I certainly didn't invite theirs to mine. I am not even sure I would alter my holiday plans for a IL wedding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really? I'm sure the SIL has better things to do with her time than purposely mess with a second tier guest. I'm sorry but the conspiracy theories in this thread are a little ridiculous.
    I think your conspiracy theory about people in this thread having conspiracy theories is ridiculous.

The gift grab thing came from information given by the op. It's not like it was just pulled out of the air. Clearly the sil doesn't have better things to do, as she's the one that's making it an issue!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

J0rdy  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DaenerysT View Post
    I think your conspiracy theory about people in this thread having conspiracy theories is ridiculous.

The gift grab thing came from information given by the op. It's not like it was just pulled out of the air. Clearly the sil doesn't have better things to do, as she's the one that's making it an issue!!
    I don't mean to disrespect the OP but I'm betting that wires were crossed and the Op is over reacting. So I still say the conspiracy theories here are bl00du ridiculous.