+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Reactions to wine

I'm quite the seasoned drinker ... I've gone through periods of binge drinking on weekends, to drinking daily to not drinking at all.

Anyway I've eased up heaps and just have a glass of wine or a beer here and there with friends but in the last month or so (since I've started drinking again after my surgery) I find I get pains in my tummy, can't drink much and feel horrid the next day even if I've only had one beer.

I'm not sure if it's just coincidental - but tonight I've had two glasses of red and I'm in bed with tummy pains again.

Can you start having issues with alcohol if you've never had them before??

I'm going to lay off it now for a while

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep I have that, I used to be able to drink, but now if I even had half a glass I would be doubled over in agony with tummy pains. I do have ongoing stomach issues though (ulcer it seems), and I find alcohol and coffee flare it up incredibly badly. I can almost feel it burning my stomach not long after I've had it, then will be sore for a few days. The stomach problems have been ongoing for years, I used to be able to tolerate the alcohol with it, but not anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Yep I have that, I used to be able to drink, but now if I even had half a glass I would be doubled over in agony with tummy pains. I do have ongoing stomach issues though (ulcer it seems), and I find alcohol and coffee flare it up incredibly badly. I can almost feel it burning my stomach not long after I've had it, then will be sore for a few days. The stomach problems have been ongoing for years, I used to be able to tolerate the alcohol with it, but not anymore.
    Oh no!!! Actually I didn't even make the connection between coffee and pains as well when asking the alcohol question. Just last weekend I had to rush home from a cafe with a friend and started vomiting pretty violently after having two flat whites.

At work on Thursday last week a colleague bought me a coffee and I only drank half of it and felt like I was going to vomit. I was asking my work mate if you can become lactose intolerant later in life but didn't even think that all of a sudden both alcohol and coffee are affecting me when neither have before!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it can be a sign of an ulcer. Are you drinking it on an empty or full stomach?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just read up a bit on ulcers and it sounds plausible. How do you get checked for ulcers??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    Yes it can be a sign of an ulcer. Are you drinking it on an empty or full stomach?

Both

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Both
    Endoscopy usually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Far out I feel horrid. I feel like just curling up and crying. My jaw surgery didn't even bother me like this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was wondering the same thing! Except I don't get tummy pains-my throat feels like it's closing up... Not enough to stop breathing or anything, but just making it a little more difficult to swallow.. It starts happening after having just a few sips, it's been the case for a couple of years now-so I try to steer clear of it (only happens with wine)... Strange..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor thing. Do you have any anti acid on hand? Mylanta or an u thing you could try? Raw honey soothes irritation to stomach lining as well.