+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face 3rd year student midwife seeking pregnant women in Brisbane! :)

Hi ladies!

My name is Jess and I'm going into my third year of a Bachelor of Midwifery at The University of Queensland. As part of my course, I'm required to 'recruit' pregnant women who are under 32 weeks gestation to follow and support them throughout their pregnancy.

"The central educational focus of this program is based on a 'with woman' philosophy that is a belief that the woman's experience of pregnancy and childbirth are unique to each woman and that birth is a normal life experience. The role of the midwife is to facilitate a professional relationship whereby both the woman and the midwife are committed to a partnership of mutual empowerment and learning. The relationship between a woman and her midwife is central to the students' teaching and learning process."

The expectations and commitment from women participating in this experience

Should you agree to participate in this experience, you will be required to engage in:

- a professional relationship with a midwifery student, who is under the guidance of an academic midwifery mentor, from early pregnancy to the first few weeks following your baby's birth; this will require the student to negotiate suitable meeting or telephone conversations times with you

- basic health assessment of yourself and baby by the student, which includes interviewing, history taking, assessing wellness, discussion of your experiences of pregnancy, family dynamics and health promotion

- offering the student the opportunity to accompany you to pregnancy/prenatal visits, childbirth education sessions, exercise classes, visits to the agency where the birth of your baby will take place, and the after birth visits during the first weeks; where time and circumstances permit, and with your consent, the student will be able to be with you during your labour and the birth of your baby.

It's a great opportunity for women to participate in because you can just think of it as having your own personal midwife! I would attend appointments and classes with you (as time permits) and answer any questions or queries you may have. We would exchange mobile numbers and communicate your appointment times that way. As the paragraph above states, if you felt comfortable, I would love to be present for your labour and birth but will completely understand if you didn't feel comfortable.

My email address is jessicadean@live.com.au and my mobile number is 0432 394****+ show full number so send me a message if you'd like more information or if you'd like to be apart of this exercise.

Ideally, I'd like to recruit women who are going through The Mater Mother's Hospital however if you're going through another hospital, let me know and we can work something out.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Cheers, Jess.
    Last edited by vumidstudent; 25-11-2013 at 17:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I might be interested. I'm hoping to get a referral to the mater on Monday. I'm due sept 19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey! Cool, that sounds great. Let me know if you get a referral today. My email: jessicadean@live.com.au. Thanks, Jess.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I might be interested too, I am going to Mater Mother (private) does that matter? I have a private Ob too....
    I would like more info as to what is required of me?
    I am also having a c-section due to medical reasons so would this still be an option for you?

I am currently 18 weeks, 1 Day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    My doctor didn't give me a referral today but will in 3 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I am going through Redland Hospital and am keen to find a student midwife who'd be interested to assist me and learn at the same time. I'm 25 weeks tomorrow. Let me know I you'd be interested and we can exchange details. Thanks