Closed Thread
Page 62 of 92 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Jacky - I am so so sorry to hear about your experience with CFC. I feel absolutely sick in the stomach reading it. I went over in Nov last year. Going back shortly. I am not overly happy with some of the things I have heard since been over & some of the questions I have asked of the clinic. To be honest and I too agree & believe it is the luck of the draw as well to a certain extent - like most of us do. If you are still reading this, I would really like to get hear how you're going now & what clinic you decided on in JBurg.

I was going to PM you but unfortunately I think you have to post a few more times before anyone can send you a message.

I agree that you should ask for a complimentary cycle. Mistakes happen, yes, but at who's cost? Your time off work, airfares, etc? A friend asked for the same after her first failed cycle in SA (she will be on her 5th next time around) and they obliged and reduced it considerably, which surprised me at the time.

Good luck to everyone else. I don't hop on here much anymore, as it's a difficult journey the 2nd time around for me at the moment (Jodi I hear you). A fellow ED CFC friend told me about this post hence my drop in.

Thembs so sorry to hear you may be looking at going back. I don't think the reality hits you until you get home and realise it hasn't worked Here's hoping both you and I and everyone else gets what we all deserve so much - after such a long road.

Excellent news Rainbow - how cute.

Danny is a great driver, we also found a lot of the other taxis were good too, they would give us their cards, as they are all after the business, then we just phoned the same company and asked for that driver, or phoned their mobile direct. As Danny said to us, just don't go in the dodgy looking cabs - you'll know them when you see them

CFC is very busy. It blew me away, probably the same as here, but sometimes you are waiting a long time, they don't seem to run on time very well. This forum was great for things like that, as I remembered reading that & thought whilst trying not to get impatient in the waiting room of that post! Also, be prepared to follow up if you want to. Ie. we were told we would get fert results that afternoon & the next day - but got nothing - I was prepared, having read that on here previously & didn't chase them up until the 4th day. I always copy the Dr in too if I want an answer. Elaines emails have been bouncing back to me too & it can take a few days for replies. Another BHubber that is 3 months pregnant now, also commented to me afterwards about the lack of information back out of the lab on any frozen with her left over embryos, all that sort of thing, so be prepared for it. Sometimes I think you strike it lucky with their communications, others not so good.

Anyways Jacky, would love to chat to you. I hope you have made a formal complaint as well. I don't think they should be allowed to get away with that, that is not right trying to sweep it under the carpet and hope you'll go away.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, I'm trying to be diplomatic here, so I don't get crushed in the stampede , like one other poor girl did when she stood up & said something against the clinic. We always hear all the positive on here, and the girls that it doesn't work for, don't always come back to this forum (I know, as I chat to them privately & some of us are going back or planning to at some stage). I personally think it would be nice, if for those of us that it didn't work for, or if we didn't find everything milk & honey - that we are able to let others know, without fear of an upstanding so everyone has the full picture.
    I'm going back myself. I just think we all deserve the respect of answers to our questions and well researched Doctors who are knowledgeable in their field. I guess its difficult on a forum like this, as you don't want to upset anyone.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sootymay For This Useful Post:

Jacks69  (22-02-2014),laned  (22-02-2014),thembs  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thembs- sorry you didn't get the result you wanted. Have a good rest and good luck with the next cycle.
    all the best to everyone which ever stage you are at. There seems to be a lot happening at the moment.

plimpy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Plimpy For This Useful Post:

thembs  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    From what I have read it is ICSI Angelmama

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Em

Thanks, I just heard back from Jenny and she said ICSI, they also said they offered PICSI. Has anyone used that option, if so what are the price difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello all, thanks so much for your comments. I did not post to try and discourage anyone at all. As I said, I really think so much of it all comes down to luck. And there have been some wonderful success stories here. That's part of the reason we decided to have a go I guess I really got swept up in everything and its just really a prompt to make sure you have everything you are not sure about written down and take with you so you get the answers you want. I think of so many things I should have asked now and been more persistent with and wished I had done the same. I have read all the threads from start to end, high fived every success story and almost wept with every unsuccessful one. It really is the hardest thing to go through (second only to losing a child) and I really do commend all the brave strong women and couples that have to go through it. Especially more than once. We have seen the inside of fertility clinics way too many times for my liking. As for CFC, the two things that really did bug me were obviously the lack of testing the sperm (we were adamant we would go donor sperm if there was any sign of trouble, and they knew that) and not so much being left alone at the end of the transfer, just the way I was totally ignored afterwards when they knew I was really upset by what they had done. I did not think it would have been too hard for any one of them to phone or email the following day and just check I was ok. I know its a very emotion environment they work in and must see so much every day and become a bit immune to it all but really felt the care factor was nil! Dare I say it but "got your money, too bad!"
    Anyway, I have now pulled up my big girls pants and just got on with it all. I am just using it as an (expensive) learning curve and moving on. As mentioned, I will go to J'burg, do one last cycle with Medfem, hopefully in about 6 weeks or so, with donor egg and sperm. Am feeling a lot more realist this time. I will be disappointed if it doesn't work but if that's the outcome, then so be it, I am ready to accept that. I really feel like our lives have been put semi on hold for so long, it will be then time to start planning for other stuff. Mind you, if its successful you will hear my squeals al the way from Perth. I am not too worried about travelling on my own, have done so lots of times in the past and am pretty sensible with that side of things. I am hoping to be only there for as minimal time as I can and its a much better flight from Perth.
    So to everyone heading over to Cape Town soon (and there seems to be so many!) I am wishing you every success. Its a long road you have all travelled and may you be blessed with having your dreams and prayers answered. The threads are brilliant because really, unless you've gone through it all, you don't really understand the anguish of the whole process. My every best wishes to you all oxo

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks69 For This Useful Post:

laned  (22-02-2014),sootymay  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Angel - wow only two more sleeps

Sooty - I believe a balanced view is very important in an informative forum like this and I think we should encourage the open sharing of honest experience.

Of course we all have to remember that albeit our chances are remarkably increased with DEs there are unfortunately no absolutes in this fertility game. At the time of our TF day with our 2 I was certain we were going to have to embark upon another journey. Hence, we left DH sperm there just in case.

Many people have written of the often poor communication or protracted response time of CFC. Having physically been to both Medfem in Joburg and CFC in CT, I can honestly say that CT on its face appeared to be a more professionally run practice. I am just truly blessed that by some miracle we got our little man and thankfully we did not have to endure the heartache of having to do another full donor cycle. That said, even with our positive, I would personally not return to the Joburg clinic for a future process. That is not saying it is not for someone else.

I do have to emphasise for Jacks sake that Medfem DO test the sperm, as they questioned why we wanted ICSI (noting their view it wasn't necessary). In our instance we needed it as it was discovered early in our own IVF caper that DH sperm are lacking an enzyme to break through the egg zona, but are otherwise normal.

Whilst positivity is imperative in this emotional journey, I believe it is important that we hear the good, bad and ugly concerning clinics. That way we are better informed to ask certain questions and make a more informed choice.

I believe the issues with a previous posters comments were moreso in relation to comments about one of the Drs personal lives, which as someone at the time quite rightly pointed out is irrelevant.

Likewise good luck to all ladies wherever you choose to go. Just state your expectations right at the forefront.

Jacks - I agree with other posters, in that I would be sending copies of the terms of agreement in relation to the optioned use for donor sperm. Essentially you could argue the failure to test the sperm was a breach of an essential term of the agreement/contract. I would be pushing for a further cycle prior to being any further out of pocket.
    Last edited by laned; 22-02-2014 at 01:17.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to laned For This Useful Post:

sootymay  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rainbow - thanks for sharing your wonderful news. So pleased you and your beautiful bub are doing well. Those scans are just precious. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jacks, Sooty, Laned - as a newbie about to embark on our first DE trip to SA can I say I am very grateful for your honesty. I too want a balanced view of this whole process. It certainly doesn't scare me off trying but it does make me more realistic about expectations of the process and outcomes. As I am sure is the case with most of us here, I have been through too many of my own procedures and cycles to know there is no guarantee in any of this fertility stuff. With all the science involved there is still an element of miracle involved. I think in this forum it's important to be reminded of this, not just by the successes, which we all cheer along.. But also by the failures. In the same way it's great to know the positives about the clinic and their staff but also their shortcomings.

I know for myself, Jacks story reminded me that even though they know what they are doing and they have a good success rate ; I still need to be the advocate for me (hence my later question about sperm testing.), if I have a question I need to ask it, if I have an expectation I need to express it.
    I'm not one who likes or seeks conflict but with age I have learnt there are times I need to be heard.... So with that in mind I will be prepared ..

Angel : I asked Dr Le Roux, they do ICSI , they will be doing it for us.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blinky76 For This Useful Post:

laned  (22-02-2014),sootymay  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ICSI is included in the price. I believe that is the way they do it. ICSI, every time for ED.

Copied from an email I sent a few months ago:

"It will be a pleasure to do the PICSI for you. The cost of this is 2500 rand. You must just remind me at the time.
    We do have IMSI equipment but I think there were some software problems with this and our lab stopped using it because it can delay the time taken to inject the eggs etc.

Probably best to stick to PICSI"

Quote Originally Posted by angelmama74 View Post
    Hi Em

Thanks, I just heard back from Jenny and she said ICSI, they also said they offered PICSI. Has anyone used that option, if so what are the price difference?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sootymay For This Useful Post:

thembs  (22-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that. Really in the grand scale of things another few hundred is not much to spend. We are using donor sperm so I would think it would be of good quality but an extra hand could be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by sootymay View Post
    ICSI is included in the price. I believe that is the way they do it. ICSI, every time for ED.

Copied from an email I sent a few months ago:

"It will be a pleasure to do the PICSI for you. The cost of this is 2500 rand. You must just remind me at the time.
    We do have IMSI equipment but I think there were some software problems with this and our lab stopped using it because it can delay the time taken to inject the eggs etc.

Probably best to stick to PICSI"