Closed Thread
Page 35 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

As the roll call is getting so extensive I thought I would start a fresh one for 2014. If you are not comfortable being on it please let me know and I will be happy to remove you from it. I understand for some it can be quite confronting.

Emski - I see you have started a blog - good for you I look forward to following your journey to motherhood

Welcome Amethyst13 and congratulations

A New Year and new possibilities

2. The Following User Says Thank You to January For This Useful Post:

sootymay  (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello and happy new year to all. Thought I would give you a brief summary of my journey. I remember thinking it was taking forever. Since then I have read various forums and realise how lucky we were. I'm 43 and my husband is 36 we have been together 6 years. We went to a FS January 2011. Ovarian stimulation cycle x 1 failed. 1 x IVF 1 follicle slow to grow and ovulated prior to collection. AMH <1. DE seemed the best option. Our FS suggested CFC. June 2011 all set and our donor pulled out at the last minute. EDSA were great and organised a new donor for August (my husband's first preference). My beautiful little boy was born 26/4/12. April 2013 FET. BFN. June 2013 cycle with same donor. 4 eggs, 2 fertilised, both transferred day 3. BFP (amazed). 29 weeks with a little boy, all going well. (Must have been out a couple of weeks before you Amethyst)

Judy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by emski72 View Post

Can anyone who has already been over advise if I'll need scans here before going as I'll need to request the referral from my FS.
    Anyone?

Ta Em x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Em, I had a scan as part of my screening testing to ensure everything was structurally ok ie no fibroids etc. I just got my GP to write a referral as I had trouble finding a local FS willing to assist. If you have had a scan within 12 months I think they would be fine.

My first lining scan was done at CFC at my first appointment. If in doubt best to fire an email off to CFC.

We may be in CT around the same time
    Last edited by January; 02-01-2014 at 10:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Em - I was the same, just the pre-testing scans here that were requested by CFC as part of the initial testing, blood work, semen tests etc - if they were over 12 months old as well. First lining scan, was done when we got there, by the Dr prior to retrieval to see how everything was going and making sure no ovulation had taken place.

Plimpy - thanks so much for sharing your story. It just goes to show doesn't it, that anything can happen. Your donor pulling out (something we probably don't even think about happening!) and then a BFP with your little boy and then 2 more goes for another little boy! and from just 4 eggs, 2 embryos fertilising and a day 3 transfer ! Amazing - great story. Thank you and welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Thanks Sooty and January - that's good to know, I have done the general pelvic ultrasound which was all clear and sent that off - it was the lining scan I was wondering about - so good to know my first scan will be in CT. I hope my lining plays 'ball' so to speak.
    January yes it sounds like we will be! Who is your Dr at CFC? Are you staying at the Vineyard again? We'll be there if there's any room at the inn when we get out treatment plan. We could meet for a sundowner!
    Em x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

I am new to hub bub and this forum! I just wanted to share my positive experience with egg donation in South Africa (CFC) and I hope that this will give you the confidence and the hope that you need to fulfil your desire to become parentsby way of egg donation (if that is the route that you have decided to take).

Exactly this time last year after 6 years and 9 failed IVF attempts in Melbourne my partner and I decided to make a change to our treatment in the hope that 2013 would see us get a BFP. We contacted CFC about the possibility of egg donation (as we were planning a holiday to SA so it seemed like the right thing to do). I was very cautious and nervous about the whole thing but figured I had nothing to lose. We were put in touch with a donor agency (Sunshine Egg Donors - Rikki) who was absolutely fantastic and put my mind at ease from Day 1 that I was making the right decision. We scrolled through their website of potential donors and chose a young lady who kind of looked like me (in weight, height, complexion etc and most importantly did not smoke!). We were thrilled when the donor accepted us as her recipient.

We were then put in touch with a Dr (Dr Heylen) and a nurse at CFC who put in place our treatment plan (managed in consultation with our Melbourne IVF Dr as I had a very high number of natural killer cells which had to be contained during my treatment). The treatment plan was easy to follow and any questions I had were promptly answered by email and nothing was too much trouble.

In March 2013 we headed over to SA and had a wonderful holiday amongst our IVF treatment (with some wine tasting, sight seeing and a Kruger safari mixed in).

The clinic in SA had a completely different feel to my clinic in Melbourne which I had become very negative about after 9 failed treatment attempts and only one positive pregnancy test which unfortunately ended in miscarriage 6 years ago.

The Dr's nurses and staff at CFC and our donor agency were so caring and reassuring during the whole process and for the first time in a long time I had a glimmer of hope that things this time would be different.

Our egg donor was a young lady who took her role very seriously and did everything that the Dr asked of her (something that made the process a lot easier for me as a control freak who had to surrender to the process and hope for the best!).

My donor retrieved 9 eggs (5 of which fertilised, two of which were transferred and three of which are still on ice). After the transfer,my hubby and I headed to Kruger National Park for 4 days R & R in blissful and nurturing surroundings. When we returned to Melbourne we were given the news that we had been waiting 6 years to hear. A BFP!! I am very pleased to report that our little Saffy bub was born in December 2013 a very healthy 8lb little boy.

I am forever grateful to our donor and the agency and the Drs and nurses at CFC for making our dream of becoming parents come to life (without undertaking this process our dream would never have been realised). I am happy to speak to anyone who has any questions that they would like to ask of me as I know how nerve wreaking and emotional the whole process can be (particularly when you have been on the IVF roller coaster for some time).

Lots of love and baby dust to you all. May 2014 bring you a BFP and a healthy little bub xx

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JoJoD For This Useful Post:

Biba jani  (26-02-2014),helenmac  (02-01-2014),January  (02-01-2014),KLM0511  (17-03-2014),Pixel  (02-01-2014),sootymay  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    JoJoD, it was so nice to read your story. In fact it gave me goosebumps because it made me realize that you don't have to be alone navigating this difficult path to parenthood - we're all on the same journey together one way or another. Biggest congratulations to you on the birth of your precious little boy

Speaking of similar experiences, Plimpy, my first donor also pulled out which had me gutted because it took me SOOO long to find her. She had a good reason though, she got pregnant!! Anyway, Rikki at Sunshine was excellent and offered my money back or to help me look for another donor which she did. She sent me profiles that she thought were suitable, new ones as soon as they came up and keeping me in the loop for some that might be coming up so she was very good. I see also Plimpy that you had success with a few eggs and a BIG congratulations to you! I got only 5 eggs, 3 fertilized and we transferred two (the third was a bit behind the others on Day 5 so we hoped it would be viable to freeze but it wasn't in the end). I remember when I went in for my first consultation I felt like the sky had fallen in being told that my donor had only 5 follicles. Here I was after months of preparation and planning, in the country for less than 24 hours, and at my first appointment we're discussing the egg bank. I couldn't believe my ears, but as Dr M said, the donor had had a child so that was something. Rikki also said that she had some girls who only produce 3-4 eggs at a time but they ALWAYS result in pregnancy, even twins. I found it so hard to believe but I had to keep reminding myself that these eggs were a good 15 years younger than mine. Sure enough we got the result, the best result even, so my advice is not to despair if egg numbers are low - it's not ideal but definitely not the end of the world.

Fingers and toes crossed for all those about to embark on their journey and look forward to hearing lots of success stories in 2014

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst13 For This Useful Post:

sootymay  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean about being gutted. We felt a bit in limbo for that two weeks. We had been to Cape Town twice already, the third trip was arranged relatively quickly and it was going to be our last try so it didn't really feel like a holiday. To only get one fertilised egg that looked ok at three days was a shock especially as it worked so easily the first time. I promised myself I wouldn't start POS until we got home (3-4 days before my blood test was due) of course that didn't work as it started about a week before. Funnily enough they were negative! Finally got my two pink lines at the airport on the way home. Couldn't quite believe it.
    The second trip was actually the best holiday as we had a 3 day safari before hand which was fantastic. We went to Tau lodge in Madekwe (probably spelt that wrong). Would highly recommend it. It supposedly malaria free which means you don't have to worry about prophylaxis (we had an 11 month old with us).

judy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Plimpy For This Useful Post:

sootymay  (02-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Plimpy, after our first (unsuccessful) visit to Cape Town we went to Madikwe too only we stayed at Mosethla which is much less opulent than Tau lodge but suited us as we stayed in treehouse like accom and there was beautiful atmospheric lanterns (as there was no electricity)and lots of lovely food. We saw the Tau vehicles all the time on game drives. It was excellent therapy for us as we knew by that stage that our attempt was not a success...so that meant a few drinkies at the dusk game drives!
    Amethyst I completely understand getting to CFC only to find the donor had responded poorly...we too discussed the egg bank and we were absolutely devastated when 2 day 3 embryos of poor quality were transferred. I returned on my own for our second successful visit, and this time we ended up with 5 beautiful blasts of which two were put back(my twins) and 3 are in the freezer.
    Welcome Jo Jo. Great to read your story. Isn't it amazing how all of a sudden women appear to share lovely inspirational stories just when they a needed? I know that the only thing that kept me going back was reading stories of eventual success in other people's journeys...after so much disappointment, to know that it was really possible that we could have a family restored my hope.
    I haven't been on this thread much recently as the twins are very active and I am of course very busy. I have however followed everyone's paths as a thread loiterer!
    I wish you all the very best of success this year. XxxxWJ

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilson joy For This Useful Post:

Biba jani  (03-01-2014),KLM0511  (17-03-2014),sootymay  (02-01-2014)