+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen14 View Post
    It worked for us. Dad got up to resettle instead of me getting up to feed. He slept through after 3 nights of this.
    This for my DD.
    DS has taken about 6 weeks of it and as we were at our wits end he has finally figured it out. They are all so different

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mmumm For This Useful Post:

Pen14  (25-11-2013),sajimum  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Sorry no. My lot just kept waking. It took more energy to resettle them it would to feed them.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I agree with this. Ds3 who i weaned at 19 months continued to wake just as often, if not more often and was a lot more painful to settle.

Only thing that made a big difference to us was that dh could settle him after a little while (he still objects a lot more but he can do it) which he wouldn't have a bar of when I was still feeding.

I regret weaning him, but i think it was a good thing for us

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am still so undecided on what to do. My daughter slept through for a month after weaning at 16mths but then got sick alot during winter and slept terribly. There were many times I wished I was still breastfeeding her so I could easily settle her back to sleep. I am scared that the same thing might happen with DS. The plan would only be to night wean though, so I suppose I could always just go back to it if needed. I would so love a full night sleep!!
    @btmac - I don't know how you do 2 hourly feeding all night, I think that would break me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it worked off us, but DD was just over 2.5 years old so it was about time she started sleeping! She went from waking 2-3 times a night to sleeping through.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope.

Mummy of Max 2 from donor eggs from my lovely sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Sorry no. My lot just kept waking. It took more energy to resettle them it would to feed them.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Lol, yes this with DD! Little bugger wasn't having a bar of it until she was two!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    @sajimum sometimes I think it has broken me. I have tried to reduce his feeds overnight but without anyone to help its just nightmarish!!

Best of luck and I hope bub sleeps through soon.

bx
    Hugs. I can imagine he doesn't want a bar of you resettling when he just wants a feed.....fingers crossed he stretches it out a bit soon

I am not even expecting DD to sleep through necessarily - I am just thinking that even if his sleep doesn't improve I might be able to get a break via DH or my parents. The last few nights have been better (after an awful week which prompted my initial post) so I am now back to being undecided!
    Last edited by sajimum; 01-12-2013 at 20:38.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (01-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I night weaned at 14 months and DD started sleeping through.

I was really tired at that stage and one night DD didn't wake for a feed so knew she could do it so let her grizzle it out the next night rather than feeding. The next night was better then the next night she slept through.

It's tough, I wasn't ready to night wean till I got really desperate. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I night weaned my DD at 12 months and within 3 nights she was sleeping through. She's now nearly 26 months and still consistently sleeps through apart from when she's sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I am slowly becoming exhausted with DS and his night waking. He is 12mths old and generally feeds 1-2 times overnight (sometimes waking more often than that) and then getting up for the day at 5am. I usually just go with the flow of what he wants/needs, rock or feed to sleep, etc and hoped to feed during the night until he dropped it himself. However I am starting to get angry and resentful of it, and I am considering night weaning to see if it helps. Has anyone else tried this with success?
    I didn't over night wean DD1 until after 2 years of age - and then when I did - she still fed to sleep. She still woke over night constantly.

Eventually, when I dropped all feeds and the bedtime feed dropped at 3.5 years, she finally would sleep most of the night. This was a huge improvement from waking up within one hour of sleeping crying and screaming because I was not longer there.

At 4.5, she wakes once a night still to come into our bed, but we are working on that as we speak.

DD2 still feeds overnight at nearly 2 and it's tiring and very annoying as she pinches the other nipple! She feeds probably 4 times a night but I don't even know. I understand what you mean about feeling resentful - you get burnt out pretty quickly when you feel used.

I just don't have the energy right now to break the habit because I am going to wait until she's two and wean then. So hopefully will get better sleep.

If you have the energy and are feeling resentful - go for it! Tank him up during the day. Lovely filling meals at dinner time and maybe a bottle of water instead overnight. If it wakes your partner - settle in another room as I found it took a while once they cottoned on they weren't getting milk to calm down.