+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you plan overseas holidays in advance when ttc?

Hi everyone im wondering how any of you plan overseas holidays in advance while ttc?

Me and dh want to go overseas again for a decent holiday, maybe 3 - 6 weeks & a minimum 10-14 hr plane flight away. I had a miscarriage early this year and im scared to book an overseas holiday in advance. My main issues are that booking it in advance means I obviously wont know if ill be pregnant or not by the time we are meant to leave. If I did get pregnant in the meantime, I wouldnt want to go overseas under any circumstances. I am a stresshead & would be stressing about every little thing like their water and food etc. I wouldn't be able to do or enjoy alot of tours with speed boats or rides. I could have morning sickness badly. The list of reasons why I wouldnt go if I was pregnant is endless. And after the miscarriage im going to be even more cautious! I know there is nothing wrong with going overseas while pregnant just in my personal situation I couldnt do it.

Travel insurance wont cover for change of mind or pregnancy im pretty sure. I know u can book fully refundable hotels on certain sites but from what ive looked into it seems almost impossible to get fully refunded for flights. Unless u pay triple the price for a fully flexible ticket? Ilooked these up and prices arent even justifiable.

We could book a holiday last minute so if I was going to be pregnant I would find out when I was overseas which I would be ok with if I was coming home shortly after. Just couldnt LEAVE for a holiday knowing im already pregnant.

Booking flights last minute tho is going to be quite expensive. As well as getting time off work would be difficult.

Does anyone have any tips? I dont want to put our lives on hold while ttc but also under no circumstances could I leave for a holiday if I was already pregnant.

There is a chance we might need ivf next year so I want to do everything I possibly can before then to avoid it.

I know alot of ppl might not know where im coming from as I know most ppl would just go on the holiday if they were pregnant. But after my miscarriage I really wouldnt be able to bring myself to.

Does anyone know anymore about booking flights and if u can get full refunds for change of mind or if ur situation changes? Or how would u go about booking overseas holidays in this situation?

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    all up I had 7 misscarriages.. after number 3 hubby and I decided to go overseas for 6 months doing tours of Europe and USA... best thing we did as I fell pregnant on the trip and came home with about 6 months to go... I know that the trip was a life saver for me, gave me something else to focus on. In regards to booking flights- etc I would ask a travel agent... I don't think you can get a refund if you change your mind but I could be wrong.. Check what the insurance they use says...I know if you book hotels thru say Booking.com, you can cancel them up to a certain date... All the very best and please don't stress too much about it all,,, travelling when pregnant isn't that bad xxxxxxxx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

hummingbird1  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks louise41. Thats great u fell pregnant on ur holiday!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Hummingbird,

You certainly shouldn't put your life on hold while TTC. Especially when you are long-term TTC. It's bad enough being miserable about infertility, missing out on great life opportunities on top of that just adds to the woe. Giving yourself something to look forward to is the best thing you can do!

In Mar this year I booked us a holiday to Thailand for October, knowing full well that we had an IVF attempt coming up in Aug and I could potentially be 8 wks pregnant. In the back of my mind I never thought the cycle would work, but it did! I thought about cancelling as we have been waiting 8.5yrs for this baby and it was our 7th IVF transfer. I was so worried and paranoid about miscarriage. We went ahead with our trip, but first I organised travel insurance that covered IVF pregnancies. We had a great time on our 'babymoon' and nothing went wrong.

If I were you, I'd book the holiday as though you're not going to be pregnant. Travel insurance will cover you if you have to cancel on medical grounds, just be sure that it specifically includes high-risk pregnancy or being late term. That way if you fall pregnant and you're worried about travelling, your OB can write you a letter that you can use to claim against the insurance policy, or request refunds directly with the airlines.

Getting back deposits from hotels is fairly easy if you give them enough notice (as per their cancellation policies), you don't even have to give them a reason if you're inside their cancellation deadline.

Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks alot simpsondesert. I hate not being able to plan in advance. And def dont want to put our lives on hold while ttc!

Thats great news u got ur bfp and went on ur holiday, congratulations!

We r still trying naturally atm so no idea what could happen. Which travel insurance covers ivf pregnancies? If its an ivf pregnancy does that automatically class u as high risk even if u dont have complications?

I looked into a couple of insurances and they all said there is no cover for pregnancy unless its a serious complication. So if we fell pregnant naturally before then I dont think we would be covered to get anything back. Its really only flights im worried about. Either way I dont think I could go on the holiday knowing I was already pregnant. If something happened I would never forgive myself. I wish flights were as easy to cancel as hotels!

No idea what to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you maybe book a holiday locally instead?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could reschedule your holiday once you knew? You'd have to pay the difference though. We booked for o/s for jan 2015 (air asia has a massive sale on atm) I was hesitant at first because we've been ttc no:2 for 3 years now and no luck and I'd worry traveling o/s whilst pregnant but we can always reschedule closer to the date. I won't be booking accommodation till about 5-6 months before. Alot of hotels have specials + 14 days minimum notice cancellation notice. Don't put off traveling to ttc. What if u don't get pregnant? It would be more depressing putting off traveling and u don't even get pregnant. That's why I booked out trip. Who knows if ill even get pregnant again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Hummingbird, still pinching myself

I used CoverMore for my insurance. IVF does not automatically equal high risk as far as I know (I haven't been classed as high-risk).

Another option would be to pay the extra for "flexi" fares that allow refunds if you can't travel. The refund is processed with the airline and not through travel insurance. There are cancellation fees so you may want to check those out before you book anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went away last year for Xmas overseas....ended up conceiving dd there haha.