+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to go see a midwife after just finding out?

Hello everyone,
    I've just done a home pregnancy test and it's positive yay! But now I am unsure what to do next!
    I rang the hospital and asked about when I go and see the midwives she said after 12 weeks. Prior to finding out I was pregnant a few of my friends who are already mums stated that you need to call the midwives ASAP to get I to the midwife group program in wollongong?

Is this true or do I go see my doctor first and go from there?

Thanks so much everyone. It's all so new and so much to learn! Little bit out of my comfort zone now hehe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    See your doctor and get them to do your referral to the mgp the hospital will send you a form to fill out, you send it back then they'll send you a letter with your first appointment date

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm not in Wollongong but the first step anywhere when pregnant is to see your local doctor/GP. Without a referral from them you generally can't get accepted into any birthing program.

- your doctor should be able to give you a run down of birthing programs in your area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic thankyou all so much!
    I am knew to this baby hub and I am loving it already!

Thankyou!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica123 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go to your doctor, they will send you for bloods and upon confirming it all, they will send a referral to your hospital, and you should then get a letter out with your first OB/Midwife appointment around about the 12 week mark, you just make sure you go to the GP first, because they are the ones that send all your info, and your blood results in - and congrats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wollongong MGP books out super fast. Call the hospital again (don't mention you called earlier) and ask to be booked in to the MGP. They will ask if you have a referral for your GP.. say yes... and then go to your normal GP and get the referral. Booking yourself in for the program is more important at this point than being seen by the midwife (which doesn't happen til later down the track - your GP will manage you until then). My friends in Wollongong call and book themselves in as soon as they see a line on a stick or else they miss out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree, call and book yourself in ASAP. At my birth centre we don't need a referral at all, but even if you do you don't actually need it when you make the phone call. They will just ask name and personal information etc, and your estimated due date.