+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Very upset :( Worried about baby weight gain and low supply

On Friday I had an appointment with a Chn who was SUPPOSED to be helping me with different sleep techniques for bub but ended up being useless. Anyway, she weighed ds while we were there and he had put on 210grams in 10 days. She said this was a concern and we need to look at whether my supply is dropping. She charted all his weight gains since birth (he was born 3.660kgs but lost 8% in the first few days due to my milk not coming in till day 5 and bad jaundice, he put it all back on though by the second week and has been averaging 150gram weight gain a week, he was 4.3kg at his weigh in on Friday. He was exactly six weeks. Also he is quite long about 56cm and was 51.5cm at birth). Anyway she said he is sitting around the 25th percentile and would like to see him gaining a lot more so I now have to come and get him weighed each week. I don't really understand the percentile thing but no other chn has ever mentioned a problem to me and I've been seeing them fortnightly so surely they would have said something by now? I'm just so upset and worried. It would break my heart if I had to formula feed.
    Also I'm six weeks post partum and noticed my boobs no longer have that hard full feeling.. Isn't it top early for that to be normal? Is there anything I can do to boost supply? I'm already eating lots of lactation cookies..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs. There is nothing wrong with your babies weight gain - as long as they are having plenty of wet nappies they are getting enough. If your other nurses are happy I would stick with them. 25% is fine - some babies are just small and as long as he isn't dropping down through the percentiles quickly you shouldn't need to worry.
    As for supply your boobs can settle by the 6 week mark. To help supply you can take blessed thistle and fenugreek (herbs of gold breast feeding support is awesome) and eat lots of things with oats in them and drink plenty if water. I found anything with caffeine in it upset my supply. Also check out the breast feeding section on this forum for heaps of tips.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fenugreek is great for increasing supply. It's a herbal supplement. You can also try expressing after every feed to increase supply.

I'm five weeks post and my boobs aren't rock hard and feeling full anymore but I know there's still plenty of milk. By six weeks it's fairly normal for it all to settle down.

As for growth, keep in mind that every baby is different. Some are just smaller than others. My daughter was in the 90th percentile born and by 1 year was in the third percentile. She is just a petite person though - her father and I aren't big, she eats well - she just burns it off quickly

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    By 10 days dd3 had gained 200grams and the chn was very happy and impressed with her gain
    Dd3 was born at 3.9 then went down to 3.8 day 5 was birth weight then day 10 4.1 kg

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Hugs. There is nothing wrong with your babies weight gain - as long as they are having plenty of wet nappies they are getting enough. If your other nurses are happy I would stick with them. 25% is fine - some babies are just small and as long as he isn't dropping down through the percentiles quickly you shouldn't need to worry.
    As for supply your boobs can settle by the 6 week mark. To help supply you can take blessed thistle and fenugreek (herbs of gold breast feeding support is awesome) and eat lots of things with oats in them and drink plenty if water. I found anything with caffeine in it upset my supply. Also check out the breast feeding section on this forum for heaps of tips.
    Great advice here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I would stop seeing a chn. As others said if bub is feeding well, plenty of wet nappies and gaining weight (I think 210 in 10 days is great) then what's the problem? I'm pretty sure around 5-8 weeks was when my boobs settled down and weren't so engorged anymore.

Are they the same scales as previously used?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

Bambibambino  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your baby's weights are fine. It is completely normal to lose 10% or more of birth weight, normal for it to take 5 days for your milk to come in, and normal for your breasts to start to not feel as full at around 6 weeks.

I don't see any indications that you have a supply problem, or that baby needs top ups.

You can give the ABA a call on 1800 686 268, 24 hours a day, and talk it through, but it sounds like you are both doing great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone....she just had me really shaken and kind of left me feeling likens failure...can't get my baby to sleep on his own let alone nourish him properly! Ugh.
    A different set of scales has been used every time hes been weighed.
    I tried expressing with a manual pump today. Only got 5mLs in about 5 minutes and clearly not doing it right cause my left nipple is now bruised

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are doing great! Put the pump away and just keep demand feeding. CHN are the reason so many women worry unnecessarily I am sure of it. The weight gain is fine, the only time to worry is if he loses weight.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never go back and see her again

As everyone has said there isn't a problem! My dd slipped slowly down the percentages from the 50% to the 3rd% and no-one ever told me I had supply issues. Infact I am still feeding her now (pregnant) at 2 1/4.

Expressing is really tricky for lots of people and definately isn't indicative of supply. I never had much luck with it but did find using a quality pump (medela swing) helped and also expressing while feeding bub (from the side she had already taken) worked well.

Try and relax and enjoy your newborn, you are doing great

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bambibambino For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-11-2013),MummaOJ  (24-11-2013)