+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Chipped teeth

My 2yo just chipped his 2 front teeth

They look really rough.

I know a dentist won't fix them but is it worth taking him to a dentist to have them looked at?

I'm so sad. He had such beautiful big chompers and now they just look yuk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I chipped mine when I was quite young and the dentist did a temporary repair job.

It might be worth taking him incase a nerve becomes exposed or something which is really painful from memory!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on how he did it they might want to do an X-ray to check that the teeth underneath are fine and they can file off the rough edges which is a good idea if there is jaggerd edges as they can inflict more harm. My then 2 yr old was hit in the mouth by her sister with a hammer and it chipped a tooth but when she fell over later the sharp edge split her lip open badly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2yo chipped hi 2 front teeth jumping on his bed (landed teeth first on the bed rail). I rang the dentist and they said bring him in but it was gona cost me $300 for xrays etc so i didnt bother. He was eating fine and not crying so i figured he was ok. I kept an eye on them for a few weeks to make sure there was no discolouration (there wasnt) so i never bothered taking him to the dentist.
    Almost a year on and hes fine.
    Is he eating (using his teeth). Keep an eye on them and if they start to discolour then id take him. He'll get new teeth in a few years so i would worry.

How did he actually do it?? Was there blood? There was no blood when my DS did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two of my boys have done it. I've taken them to the dentist both times for check ups as it doesn't cost anything with private health... They just made sure there was no looseness etc. my ds2 pushed his back into his gums a bit. He wouldn't eat for days but they think they're fine. They didn't file them or anything, but the chips aren't big.
    Unfortunately it's just cosmetic til they lose those teeth... Luckily they're the first to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I reckon it could be worth taking him in for a look. The dentist might be able to reset them if there has been any movement. My DS2 did the same when he was 2 with a huge chip off one of his front teeth, and the dentist mended it by putting a putty type material there that set hard and you couldn't even tell it was a repair job. Still looks like a full tooth 4 years on. Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I'll take him to the dentist, there's a kiddy dentist near our place so I'll call tomorrow.

He had a shower with me, got out of the shower, I wrapped a towel around him and while I wrapped mine around me, he must of stepped forward, tripped on his towel and fell on his mouth.

There was no blood. A few tears but I didn't even realize he had done it till half an hour later when I could see him licking his front teeth and checked his mouth. They're really jagged so they look quite yukky. And he's such a beautiful boy (as they all are). I feel so bad.

I'm so upset. I feel like such a bad mum. I was so vigilant with my ds1 and this sort of stuff coz I wanted to look after his teeth yet it's happened with ds2.
    Last edited by misho; 24-11-2013 at 10:41.