+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That's the thing - I'm afraid she will because the midwife told her!!

I told her it wasn't something I would be doing or comfortable with and she said to me "but you do, so&so told me"..

I will speak to my obstetrician's private midwife on Tuesday and hopefully she can pop in & see her as we share the same obstetrician.

Her hubby believed it too

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was totally having a freak out moment thinking I was missing something. I even called my mum who laughed and said do not listen to her if she is the midwife on duty.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do NOT take her advice. Actually, she shouldn't be allowed to give such outdated advice to new mums who perhaps don't know any better. I would be mentioning what she said to her superior and asking if this is standard, because potentially this could be very damaging advice to follow.
    I can't even IMAGINE a poor little newbie crying it's heart out for 4 hours a day and being ignored. How sad!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I just sent her a copy of this so hopefully she might think twice about listening to her again.

We have some great midwives at our small hospital but it seems I will be exposed to all sorts of "information" while I am there. Just got to listen to my own instincts and work out what is best for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sadly I have a child who cried all day every day but it's sooooooooo not normal and the stress levels in my house was crazy. We did everything to settle her and if a midwife had dared tell me to let her cry for 4 hours I would have killed them. I'm a nicu/scn nurse and I would not say 4 hours of crying is healthy for mum or baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's terrible. I can't believe she was told that.. Imagine how many other mothers have been given this 'advice'..

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yikes, it's certainly very dodgy advice. Did she mean at a time, or 4 hours total through the day? (Because if it's the second scenario than at least I can believe that it's meant to strengthen the lungs rather than just being plain neglectful).
    Either way, no, leaving a newborn to cry for any extended period of time is pointless and could be harmful (my Bubs crying effects me deeply, it makes me get anxious and upset, I could also never believe it's not causing some harm to the Bub as well). I hope most people ignore this type of advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I was told 2 hours total a day by one of the midwives when I gave birth. I can't even let ds cry for 5 minutes it breaks my heart.

Me + Him = Perfection born 05/11/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by dee1; 20-02-2014 at 20:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think my little one cried for 4hours total in his first 6months. 10 months old now and nothing wrong with his lungs....he probably woke the neighbours at 5:30 this morn