+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also remember before mobile phones at about 14 I would call my parents from the pay phone reverse charge and instead of saying my name and where I was calling from, I would say pick me up from the beach ect then my parents wouldn't accept the call but come and get me. It was a sneaky way of not using 50c to spend at the shop.
    Dh would be forever calling me from pay phones when we first started "going out" to get some privacy we were 16 as my cord phone would reach to my door of my room but the cord had to go under the door. He bought me my first mobile at 17 and we were both with the same provider and the first 20mins were free so at 19 mins we would hang up and then ring back again we would do it for properly 2hrs every night. We are 30 now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenfoot83 View Post
    I also remember before mobile phones at about 14 I would call my parents from the pay phone reverse charge and instead of saying my name and where I was calling from, I would say pick me up from the beach ect then my parents wouldn't accept the call but come and get me. It was a sneaky way of not using 50c to spend at the shop.
    Dh would be forever calling me from pay phones when we first started "going out" to get some privacy we were 16 as my cord phone would reach to my door of my room but the cord had to go under the door. He bought me my first mobile at 17 and we were both with the same provider and the first 20mins were free so at 19 mins we would hang up and then ring back again we would do it for properly 2hrs every night. We are 30 now.
    Ha my parents got me a Telstra home link number so I didn't need any coins to call them from a pay phone. Was great!

I forgot about the 20 minutes free. I used to do that every night with a friend in Sydney. Anything to make my phone credit last longer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 26/6/14
    Omg I remember most of this. My first mobile phone was dads old nokia brick and only because I had my licence. We didnt get dial up internet until we were in high school and the original printer was a dot matrix one that I am sure dad got from his work. We had books full of whole conversations was funny reading them all when I moved out of home. Oh the memories. Taping video clips of rage and video hits, and Taping songs from the radio.

♥me & him = ds 17/9/2013♥

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh the memories! I'm the same age as the OP and relate to everything

I'm glad I grew up when I did - simpler times! The Internet is awesome but it's changed life for kids & teens so much. How distracting all this technology can be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    The FB thread got me thinking about life before the Internet. I was 22 when we got broadband at home (and it was ssoooooo sloowww!!) and was 21 when I got my first mobile phone.

Before the internet I used to spend 2+ hours a night on the phone (which had a cord). We even had an old rotary dial phone until I was about 14. I actually remember twirling the curly cord around my finger when I was talking.

My friends and I used to write letters to each other every night, the longest written was 34 pages back and front!

Another friend and I used to record ourselves having a one sided conversation, hand the tape to the other person at school, then listen and respond that night (that's a bit weird actually).

Instead of googling stuff, I asked my parents or had a squiz in the ever reliable Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia. Or in an Atlas. Or in a dictionary. I also used the library a lot and even the microfiche at uni.

I bought tapes, taped songs off the radio and listened to my dad's vinyl records when I wanted to listen to tunes. I carried my Walkman with me everywhere. I watched movies and tv shows as they were shown on tv or borrowed videos from the video shop. None of this new age fandangle downloading business!

I'm only 34. I don't consider myself even close to being old. Until I realise that so many young adults today don't remember life without the Internet :-/
    Guilty of all these things LOL-especially the tape recorded msg to friends

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ah so many memories...

When someone was late you just had to wait for them and they couldn't let you know or change plans at the last minute.

Having to handwrite assignments (and drafts too!)

That printer paper where you had to rip off the perforated dots on the sides.

Having to buy huge thick photocopied books of required readings for each university subject.

Pulling the aerial up on the cordless phone before you could answer it.

Mum deciding not to buy a new computer with a CD drive cos it was just a fad. Thanks mum!

High speed dubbing cassettes and laughing at the sped up music.

Having to look up numbers in the phone book.

Having to book the weekly phone call to my Granny in England.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (24-11-2013),Ellewood  (24-11-2013),snowqu33n  (24-11-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our primary school got it's first computer when I was in year 6. Just the one computer and it was on a trolley so it could be wheeled into the different classes.

I didn't get a mobile until I was 23 (the ubiquitous Nokia) and only got the Internet at home at 24 (though I had used it at uni and work prior to then).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ahhh the memories! So many I can relate to!

I remember taping Home and Away when Shane died (remember Shane and Angel!) and watching it over and over again. Then getting totally devo'ed cos I didn't snap the tab out and my dad taped over it with stupid rugby league! NOOOO!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember Scott and Charlene getting married. It was such a big deal. And the Angry Anderson song. "Suddenly"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

*Chels*  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to stretch the phone cord as far as possible so I could sit in the cupboard to talk to my friends at night... Then we'd also write letters and exchange thm at school. If you liked a boy you'd have to ring and ask 'hi, is Chris home?' Boys rand up if they liked you, and write love letters saying 'I really like you'.