+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I started Uni and left home at 17 so
    I got my first mobile phone then. I didn't figure out SMS for about 6 months though.

I distinctly remember where I was when someone told me about Google. I got them to spell it out for me so I could write it down and check it out!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ahh yes I used to stay up all night at sleepovers watching rage on abc as you never knew what clip was coming up next! You could ring to find out but it was very expensive....
    Mind you it helps that music wasn't crap back then either

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I had a pen pal as well, in NZ. I contacted her via a pen pal wanted ad in Dolly lol.

I loved Ugly Phil as well. What did annoy me though was when they spoke for too long over the start of a song when I wanted to tape it, or when they played the short version (like they always used to do with November Rain by GnR. It was the first single I bought because I never got a taped version I liked)
    God I hated when that happened lol! "Tunny" from triple j was the worst! I used to put my tape recorder next to the tv to tape rage as there was no dj talking over the top, but sound quality was just awful and many songs had me going "shhh I'm taping!!!" in the background.

They say illegal downloading is a new problem but with cassettes and vcrs we were always copying and sharing double cassette decks were sought after lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not the internet but I remember when our local supermarket got a barcode scanner at the checkouts, before that everything had a price on it and the checkout operator had to key in each individual item. We were all, "ooh aah, how does it work?! Amazing!" I remember feeling quite awed by it.

One Christmas I was conflicted about whether to ask for a new cassette player or CD player because CDs where new technology and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the music I wanted. Plus you couldn't tape off the radio onto cd.

I think we were the last generation to have technology where you could still see how everything worked. Press a button on the typewriter and up comes the metal bar to smash the letter through the ink tape. The overhead projector used mirrors and light to magnify the image. Now everything is microchips and touch screens - there's a disconnect between our actions and the reactions.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (23-11-2013),Little Miss Sunshine  (23-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (23-11-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
    Blast from the past!

In high school my best friend and I had an exercise book that we passed back and forth every day. I would take it home one night and write a message to her and pass it to her the next morning. Then the next day I would get it back from her with a message in it. We didn't talk on the phone a lot but we had big conversations in those books. Plus, I've still got them - none of this IM stuff! .
    OMG we did this too - I still have them tucked away for when we're 80 lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember being in primary school and Dad coming home with an Apple 2E computer. He taught me to write basic programs in DOS. Graphics were really poor, and to run a program you had to type RUN/karateka or whatever the name was!!
    I remember pong.
    I remember VCR coming out and being one of the last to buy a VCR. We weren't allowed to borrow from the video shop though. Thieves could access the books and knew which houses to rob!!! (Okay Dad).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    Not the internet but I remember when our local supermarket got a barcode scanner at the checkouts, before that everything had a price on it and the checkout operator had to key in each individual item. We were all, "ooh aah, how does it work?! Amazing!" I remember feeling quite awed by it.

One Christmas I was conflicted about whether to ask for a new cassette player or CD player because CDs where new technology and I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the music I wanted. Plus you couldn't tape off the radio onto cd.

I think we were the last generation to have technology where you could still see how everything worked. Press a button on the typewriter and up comes the metal bar to smash the letter through the ink tape. The overhead projector used mirrors and light to magnify the image. Now everything is microchips and touch screens - there's a disconnect between our actions and the reactions.
    OMG I remember my first 6 months as a checkout chick was without a scanner. I was super quick at keying in item codes. Xmas was horrible! Plus, we had the old school credit card machines that involved paper and swiping the thing over back and forth. We also had to call up the bank to get approval to process cheques lol. We also had one EFTPOS machine for every 4 registers for debit card payments.

The introduction of the scanner revolutionised the job of the checkout chick.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    The FB thread got me thinking about life before the Internet. I was 22 when we got broadband at home (and it was ssoooooo sloowww!!) and was 21 when I got my first mobile phone.

Before the internet I used to spend 2+ hours a night on the phone (which had a cord). We even had an old rotary dial phone until I was about 14. I actually remember twirling the curly cord around my finger when I was talking.

My friends and I used to write letters to each other every night, the longest written was 34 pages back and front!

Another friend and I used to record ourselves having a one sided conversation, hand the tape to the other person at school, then listen and respond that night (that's a bit weird actually).

Instead of googling stuff, I asked my parents or had a squiz in the ever reliable Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia. Or in an Atlas. Or in a dictionary. I also used the library a lot and even the microfiche at uni.

I bought tapes, taped songs off the radio and listened to my dad's vinyl records when I wanted to listen to tunes. I carried my Walkman with me everywhere. I watched movies and tv shows as they were shown on tv or borrowed videos from the video shop. None of this new age fandangle downloading business!

I'm only 34. I don't consider myself even close to being old. Until I realise that so many young adults today don't remember life without the Internet :-/
    I knew that as soon as I started reading that we were the same age.
    I'm 33 and could have written your post word for word.
    My cousin and I use to tape "radio stations" on cassette and send it.
    Such awesome memories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember the exact day and conversation I had when my brother told me about "texting".
    I actually really wish we didn't have the technology we had now. I'd be such a better mum.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (24-11-2013),HearMeRoar  (23-11-2013),Jakois  (23-11-2013),Little Miss Sunshine  (23-11-2013),ourbradybunch  (23-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my first cell phone at 15 and only had 2 other friends with one Yup every night I was on the old school home phone,dragging it as far as the cord would go (mostly hiding in bathroom) talking to friends for hours. We had friendship books at high school,we would all take turns swapping them and writing notes.Sadly mine was lost I have never been one to keep up with technology,I was 24 5 years ago,and when I was in labour with DS2 I was listening to my discman to take my mind of contractions