+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great thread.

I have actually learned some handy tips about how to better manage my account and "friends", thanks!

I can relate to so many previous posters. My pet peeve is MIL, she actually accesses FB from both hers AND FIL's account, so you never know who is commenting. Actually that's not true, she's an absolute nitwit so it's pretty obvious most of the time. She's a classic "thread-killer": I'm a sporadic status-updater at the best of times, and I go for quality over quantity. I like to think my posts are fairly well thought out and humorous or a bit interesting, hence they tend to get a lot of comments/likes, but often MIL will bumble into the discussion and make an extremely random/misspelt/inappropriate remark and BAM! - discussion over!

Here's a recent example, commenting on a thread where I had posted about a travel experience (loads of other friends had already shared their travel stories beneath my original post, ranging from funny airline anecdotes to someone who had been thrown in jail for a night): "couldn't get me ther for all the tea in chinga no way once when so-and-so (random friend of hers who is not on facebook) and I were in Hobart we saw a sick dog in someone's yard it was so sad"

Tumbleweeds!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-11-2013),Bergeron  (24-11-2013),JungleMum  (23-11-2013),TSW13  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CatesBean View Post
    Yeah I don't get this. Why check in? Others get all worried and ask what is wrong. "Oh, Johnny stubbed his toe " way to freak people out! If you need to go to ED you probably shouldn't be on fb...
    My daughter has a rare blood disorder and has been hospital used 7 times in 5 months. I do post when we are in emergency but it's to let people know what's going on. People are very worried about her/us and quite frankly I don't have time to text/call everyone. However my status updates are not cryptic. I think they are informative and then friends know S and I will be in hospital for at least 48 hrs in isolation. It gives people a heads up and then people start calling asking if we need anything etc
    I'm not doing it for attention :-( I would be very upset if people thought I was attention seeking :-(

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (24-11-2013),LoveLivesHere  (23-11-2013),wigglemum  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My MIL for sure. Comments and likes on just about anything and everything I write/add/share/like. I once received a thank you from a patient via a FB page associated with work, so I liked the post to acknowledge that I had read/seen her post. Next thing I know MIL is commenting underneath it with more personal information/comments than was appropriate. It had absolutely nothing to do with her and annoyed me. I don't think she realises that there are boundaries between health professionals and clients. As it is my profile is as private as I can make it. If you search for me, I don't come up in the list, you can only find me if we have mutual friends/likes etc (although every time FB updates it seems I have to reset all the security/privacy levels).
    MIL is also a chronic oversharer. Her recent cancer diagnosis was all over FB from the moment she had the first appt for routine mammogram and was updated every step of the way. When she phoned us to tell us it was cancer etc it was even said "I wanted to tell you in person before you see it on FB", and it was on FB within half a hour. This from someone who quit FB before because it was becoming too personal. Go figure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think that's what Cate meant. Here's an example that happened irl-
    It was several years ago now, pre everyone having a smartphone. An fb friend updted from her PC that her son was struggling to breath and that they were going to the ED- she literally STOPPED, sat, updated fb then left!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loulabelle View Post
    My daughter has a rare blood disorder and has been hospital used 7 times in 5 months. I do post when we are in emergency but it's to let people know what's going on. People are very worried about her/us and quite frankly I don't have time to text/call everyone. However my status updates are not cryptic. I think they are informative and then friends know S and I will be in hospital for at least 48 hrs in isolation. It gives people a heads up and then people start calling asking if we need anything etc
    I'm not doing it for attention :-( I would be very upset if people thought I was attention seeking :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Loulabelle View Post
    I have a friend whose little one was in and out of hospital so often as a baby. I never once thought of it as attention seeking. It was always a statement like "back in ED. X sick again, but this time with pneumonia. Will be here for a few days". People would offer to meet her for lunch/dinner/afternoon wine esp when her little one was in isolation and actual hospital visitors were few and far between. I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I also have a friend from school who drives me nuts. She started dating a guy, they lasted a few weeks then broke up. They continued to have booty call meet ups and she got pregnant. He wasn't interested in becoming a dad so he cut contact. Cue "x is a terrible person, I hate him", "I'm going to be a single mother", "oh this pregnancy is horrible" etc posts. Fast forward to when she was about 32weeks preg, X decides he wants to be involved, all happy families and they end up getting married and trying for no 2. Never mind all the hate posts are still on FB and he was always a FB friend of hers... He would sometimes comment on her hate posts and call her out on them. I just don't get how a relationship like that works? Now it's all "X is my life and baby Z is the best thing ever".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

CatesBean  (23-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    A girl I went to uni with posts glamour shots of herself wearing very little clothing. The bit I struggle with is she is a professional and has clients as FB friends. I just don't think that sort of thing needs to be seen by clients.
    Maybe that's why her clients like her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    I also have a friend from school who drives me nuts. She started dating a guy, they lasted a few weeks then broke up. They continued to have booty call meet ups and she got pregnant. He wasn't interested in becoming a dad so he cut contact. Cue "x is a terrible person, I hate him", "I'm going to be a single mother", "oh this pregnancy is horrible" etc posts. Fast forward to when she was about 32weeks preg, X decides he wants to be involved, all happy families and they end up getting married and trying for no 2. Never mind all the hate posts are still on FB and he was always a FB friend of hers... He would sometimes comment on her hate posts and call her out on them. I just don't get how a relationship like that works? Now it's all "X is my life and baby Z is the best thing ever".
    Sounds like the mother of my brothers kids.... She always used to write something about him even though most were untrue. He keeps going back for the kids. We currently don't even know if they are together or not... It's messy they have 2 together and she has a girl my brother has pretty much adopted....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    I also hate the pity posts. My cousins a classic. Everytime something goes wrong or she's drunk out comes a pity post. Its usually deleted later.
    Oh I hate that!! Dp's mate does it it almost daily. It's usually a few updates a day about pointless crap that no one cares about. Mean, but true. He openly whinges about his crap job and how rude his boss is, how depressed he is and how he doesn't have a girl to love him, how bored he is. Then there's the crude sexual status's. Seriously, why do you feel the need to share you like eating cats (hahaha sorry the 'p' word sounded so wrong).
    He is also one of those serial taggers that tags everyone in videos and pictures that half the time are just plain stupid. And he wonders why the boys give him sh*t all the time. He brings it upon himself. Most of your notifications are from him. However I don't have to worry about it anymore since he deleted me. I think he realised I was getting sick of it. But in saying that, his posts were entertaining so I just go on dp's to have a read! Yep, I'm hopeless!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I hate it when people post an update saying something like "nobody cares about your boring life, stop whinging about things and get over yourself" yet the person who posts it has whinges multiple times a day about her kids, being a single mother, life in general... yet she complains about others whinging.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

14. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (23-11-2013)