+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenfoot83 View Post
    I have read on fb that this is the American version angel care monitor and doesn't affect the australian design. Very sad that a product to give peace of mind caused two deaths.
    I have just read the box and mine says designed in Canada, made in China, distributed by a company in Victoria. We purchased it in 2008.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I have one of these and the cord from the pad to the monitor is quite long so it can reach a fair distance. I ran the cord right under the cot and had it secured along the skirting boards then up behind the dresser, unreachable for a little one.

It's heartbreaking for the families, but it reminds me of the bumbo recall to add straps (as well as many other recalls). You need to use common sense.
    Exactly! My unit is 4 years old. Used for 2 bubs. Cord goes out the slats under the mattress the under a set of drawers so its not slack anywhere to get pulled.

You can also turn the sensor part off so it is only sound (doesn't beep).

It's awful but common sense needs to be used with lots of things.
    Since having kids I've heard of varied avoidable babies deaths, all tragic and must be awful for those involved - strangulation from blind cords / plastic nappy bag suffocation where baby could reach changetable next to cot / cosleeping deaths etc.
    I've had a close friend lose a toddler through an accident which on paper is "avoidable" but could happen to anyone. it breaks my heart hearing of them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenfoot83 View Post
    I have read on fb that this is the American version angel care monitor and doesn't affect the australian design. Very sad that a product to give peace of mind caused two deaths.
    Mine is model # AC201 and was purchased in Australia in 2011. I couldn't imagine they would use the same modek # for a different design

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear I have that monitor! Model AC1100 bought June 2013. Will look on the Aussie website

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.angelcarebaby.com/usa_voluntary_recall/

Nothing on their website re Australia and diff model numbers to the article.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On the Angelcare website, they have contact details for the Australian distributor - I've found their distributor to be very helpful in the past when I needed my parent unit replaced (have no idea where my original one went! Vanished off the face of the earth!).

I also think that this product is safe providing it is set up properly as others have detailed. People gotta use common sense.