+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3yo ds is up half the night even if he has a quick 10min nap. We found with dropping the nap and going back to basics dinner, bath, story or half an hour of a DVD he is usually asleep around 7.30 and making sure he doesn't sleep in too much of the morning either or this will throw him out as well. He has quite time of an afternoon while I put dd down for her afternoon sleep and we read books or draw.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chickenfoot83 For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Coming in a bit late, but yeah, I'd drop the day nap.

My 3yo DS2 can still get horrid during the say/evening if he's really tired, but we hold out until bedtime, between 6-6:30pm. We still sit in his room until he's asleep because that's just what he likes.

On the odd occasion he falls asleep on the couch or in the day during the day, even if it's just for 15 mins, he can be a right PITA at bed time, because that power nap, is enough to keep him going like the energiser bunny!

When you first stop the day naps, it can be hard on them to adjust for a few days, but the earlier bed time should help sort it out. Good luck!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found the main sign that my girls were ready to drop their day sleep altogether was difficulty going to bed at night. They would still sleep during the day if I let them, but then would be later going to bed by more time than they had napped for. In other words if they napped for 1 hour they would take up to 3 hours to go to bed that night. So obviously they were worse off in a 24 hour period if they had a day sleep.

The silver lining of a tired, cranky child is early bedtimes! Well, at least it was for us. Gives you a nice long evening.

Regarding difficulty settling down for the night - My kids love it if I tell them I will be back to check on them in 10 minutes, and if they have anything they want to tell me, they can tell me then. 99 times out of 100 they are asleep when I go check on them, where as before I started doing that they would be in and out of their room, stalling basically.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013),Vonnie89  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Dh and i would like some advice or other parents experiences on how to handle getting or 3 year old dd to stay in bed.

She has a bedtime routine and once we say goodnight, we warn her to stay in bed or she looses her teddy bears and close the door.

Within seconds she opens the door, rolls around on the floor, plays with pillows, reads books etc and when we catch her, dh will remove her teddys that she sleeps with and warn her if she gets up again, she will get a smack and that its bedtime.

She always gets up again, so he will smack her and this can go on for hours with her getting multiple smacks on the backside.

We both hate the smacking and it doesnt appear to be working as she keeps coming out.

Ive tried telling her she wont watch any pepper pig the next day or be allowed to play with a certain toy etc, but makes no difference.

Im really not sure what else we can do.

I have thought of just letting her read etc quietly in her room (she does this in the doorway) and virtually ignoring her until she is ready for sleep but we feel then she is getting away with it and makes a mockery of her bedtime

Currently she is making grunting noises and ive just checked on her and she has changed her top :/

Please some advice? Thanks.
    Sorry haven't read any other replies. I would try the Super Nanny technique of putting the child back in bed repeatedly until they stay, no matter if it's 20 times or 180 times. No smacking, negotiating, talking or bribing. Just keep going back in.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I didn't see she's still having a day sleep. Definitely be dropping that and if she's tired plan for it. Give her dinner earlier and get her to bed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry. At work and haven't read all replies.

Ds1 will stay awake sometimes. When we realise he isn't tired enough, we tell him it's ok to have a play in his room, and to go to bed when he's ready.
    He plays for a short time, then gets back in bed. Only once we found him asleep on the floor, surrounded by cars and trucks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds2 has transitioned to a big bed. He is put to bed, we say goodnight. If he gets out of bed but doesn't come out of his room we let him be and he will eventually just go back into bed and go to sleep. If he comes out of his room he is placed back to bed, if this continues for half hour or so then so be it. I refuse to give in to me by ignoring him when he is out of his room and I will not get into the habit of having to remain in the room with him until he goes to sleep. He is getting a lot better though and will quite often go down without fuss. The first few weeks he played up a lot. Once they realise you won't give into them they soon change their tune!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Also maybe discuss a plan for a way to not smack from frustration. A couple of months ago we went through a bad patch with Katelyn and if I'd get frustrated I'd get df to take over so I'd go brush my teeth, because that takes 2 minutes, it's very routine so I'd feel like it would reset me into a normal head space. Plus - bonus - teeth would get brushed.

Whatever works though. Just to calm and centre if you or DH are getting wound up.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

CleverClogs  (23-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And just to add op that I would NOT drop the day sleep. If she is grumpy when she doesn't have a day sleep she obviously does still need it. It's wouldn't be fair to keep her up if she is obviously tired and make her stretch out til night time. At 3 she does still need her sleep. Perhaps don't let her sleep as long through the day sleep or try putting her down earlier for her day sleep and see if it makes a difference to night time but keep the day sleep going as long as you can.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well dropped her day nap today, she seemed fine and was put to bed at 7 and was asleep by 8. And we had people over too!

Huge improvement

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-11-2013),KillerHeels  (22-11-2013),NoteToSelf  (22-11-2013),RobinSparkles  (22-11-2013),VicPark  (25-11-2013)