+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    A 3 hour day nap for a 3 year old .... Likely to cause sleep problems at night.

I think your plan of a 1 hour nap at 12:30-1 is a good idea.

Please don't let your hubby continually smack your child at bedtime. It's not her fault if she's not tired and smacking will just cause fear, a hate of bed time and continual problems.

Good luck
    thanks vp, im not going to allow it anymore and he hates it too, he feels so rotten afterwards and then wants to go and apologise to her

We are both under alot of stress from family atm and havent handled the situation as best as we shouldve so thats why we wanted to post to get some advice. We are just exhausted.

I feel ive got some clarification on the situation. Its partially my fault because im pregnant, tired and stressed ive left her to sleep 3 hrs so I can get some sleep. Its not her fault

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post

I feel ive got some clarification on the situation. Its partially my fault because im pregnant, tired and stressed ive left her to sleep 3 hrs so I can get some sleep. Its not her fault
    It's not your fault either love, don't beat yourself up about it. You've identified a problem, tried some strategies, sought other suggestions when they didn't work, and now you can try something new. Sounds like good parenting to me

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-11-2013),Chippa  (25-11-2013),Lalasmooch  (22-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013),VicPark  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Drop the day sleep, or reduce it to an hour, tops. Or you might find she only needs a day sleep every second day.

Prepare for a few months of awful behaviour from about 5pm onwards, they just can't cope without the day sleep at this time but don't go to bed at night if they have one - it's a really crappy stage! DS1 used to lie on the floor and cry at dinner time some nights so I definitely agree with FL's suggestion of making the main meal lunchtime to ensure she is getting enough food into her.

Re the continual getting up, we did the super nanny trick of repeatedly returning DS1 to bed, no interaction, eye contact or emotion. After 3 nights he never got out of bed again, the first night I think he got up 13 times, 2nd night about 5 times, 3rd night once. Works a charm and I like it because you aren't ignoring them and they still feel reassured.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also meant to say, on the days there is no midday sleep, put her to bed at 6.30 or even 6. DS1 was almost 4 before he could hack being up until 7 with no day sleep.

It's awesome when they're fast asleep at 6.30!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If u need the day rest I would be hesitant to drop the day sleep cos seems once its gone its gone! My DD went from 3 hour naps to nothing in the space of a month. Nearly killed me!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to carleena For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all replies but I think I have the world's worst sleeper. Almost 6 and still not sleeping but I've read it all and tried it all. Thevestsuccess wevehad is when she gets up just take her back to bed without talking to her, interacting at all. You might have to do it 20 times a night at first but if she gets nothing from getting up then she'll figure what's the point? Even a smack is attention to a 3 year old. Don't talk hug be mad. Don't interact at all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CleverClogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverClogs View Post
    I haven't read all replies but I think I have the world's worst sleeper. Almost 6 and still not sleeping but I've read it all and tried it all. Thevestsuccess wevehad is when she gets up just take her back to bed without talking to her, interacting at all. You might have to do it 20 times a night at first but if she gets nothing from getting up then she'll figure what's the point? Even a smack is attention to a 3 year old. Don't talk hug be mad. Don't interact at all.

We tried that for about 2 weeks and she thought it was a game abd literally went on for hours every night!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think 3 years is way too old for a 3 hour nap.

My 3 year old is up late if he has even half an hour of sleep.

It's normal for them to be tired when growing out of their nap.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-11-2013 at 07:29.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

delirium  (22-11-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I would definitely be dropping the daytime nap! My 3.5 year old goes to bed between 6-6:30pm without a fuss 95% of the time, and crashes straight away.

The first few days of no nap was a bit tough but he adjusted quickly. Now it is if he sleeps that we have a grumpy horrible afternoon!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nearly ds dropped his daytime nap around 2.5 -3 by himself. But I still made him have an hour quiet time. Sometimes a rest is as good as a sleep. Id let him choose between reading with him or putting a movie on for him. I still drew the cutains and follwed his sleep routine but he knew he didnt have to sleep. I put him to bed around 7 everynight he was exhausted.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast