+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally wouldn't drop the day sleep as you said she seems tired during the day and it affects her behaviour. But I would just make it shorter instead and see how she responds.

My DS is same age and really needs his day sleep. But sometimes has phases of taking ages to fall asleep at night, for no obvious reason. We just ignore him or if he's being loud go in and say go to sleep please then leave. Its an attention thing for him when he does it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Electric Boogaloo gave you some excellent advice.

I do the exact opposite approach to you and rather than punishment I resort to bribery. She's allowed milk and a cheese stick in her bed, and also allowed to choose toys to play with in bed. It works for us most nights, I don't want her crying herself to sleep. Staying in there isn't an option for me, she won't fall asleep if I'm near her.

It's not about her winning, it's about finding a compromise you can all agree on. Your DD is a person and has wants and feeling too, and is just trying to communicate that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so maybe keep it really early - 12:30-1pm and strictly for an hour and try that? If not i might try cutting it out alltogether

Currently she still naps about 3 hours during the day

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-11-2013),SAgirl  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have 2 doing this and I recently bought a rocking chair (for baby that's on the way) and that's in their room and I sit in it with headphones on ignoring them just putting them back to bed. We have gone from 10:30ish crashing on the floor to a 7:30 into bed and 8:30 asleep. A few more weeks and they will be asleep before I put them to bed

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DS was that age I hopped into his bed with him and gave myself lots of time to just chill with him, we would read heaps of books and sing quietly. It was wind down time. I knew if I spent 30 minutes or a hour doing it he would sleep well through the night, rather than just putting him to bed because the clock said so. This was more than 10 years ago now, but I remember those times snuggled up with DS until he was asleep or sleepy enough for me to leave fondly. It's an age where they just want and need help winding down.

I agree with pp, ie the smacking not being a nice way to end a day. Wouldn't be a nice memory for her to have regarding bedtime. And you said yourself it wasn't achieving anything and hated doing it- a smack can't make her sleepy so definitely try the alternatives. And schedule it in, say between 7-8 you just commit to her bedtime; at least then if it works you and your DH can enjoy the rest of your evening together in peace. Kind of make bedtime enjoyable bonding time by staying with her in her bedroom or bed reading etc.
    I know it's not everyone's style but it worked for me so it's the only advice I have.
    Good luck, it gets better- DS is now 13 and I can't get him OUT of bed, lol..

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It does sound like she's ready to drop the nap. Some suggestions to make the transition a little easier:

Rest time in lieu of sleep time in the day. Something quiet like a talking book, reading lots of stories or watch some tv. For quite a few months you might need to keep this quiet time going from her usual nap time all the way up to when she actually goes to bed at night. She will be super bloody grumpy for a while!
    Plan to spend the afternoons at home as much as possible- no play dates or trips out if you can help it.
    When DS dropped his nap he was far too tired to eat a proper dinner- try to give her a nice big wholesome lunch so dinner can be something simple and that you know she will eat without a fuss- for us it was things like omelettes, ravioli with no sauce, sandwiches or muffin pizzas. And you might need to bring dinner all the way back to 4.30-5 and then maybe offer some warm milk or fruit or something a little closer to bedtime.
    Good luck!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-11-2013),misskittyfantastico  (21-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    Ok so maybe keep it really early - 12:30-1pm and strictly for an hour and try that? If not i might try cutting it out alltogether

Currently she still naps about 3 hours during the day
    Oh wow, 3 hours does seem a lot of sleep during the day for her age, hopefully if you shorten or cut out that nap it will make a difference.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-11-2013),SAgirl  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    It does sound like she's ready to drop the nap. Some suggestions to make the transition a little easier:

Rest time in lieu of sleep time in the day. Something quiet like a talking book, reading lots of stories or watch some tv. For quite a few months you might need to keep this quiet time going from her usual nap time all the way up to when she actually goes to bed at night. She will be super bloody grumpy for a while!
    Plan to spend the afternoons at home as much as possible- no play dates or trips out if you can help it.
    When DS dropped his nap he was far too tired to eat a proper dinner- try to give her a nice big wholesome lunch so dinner can be something simple and that you know she will eat without a fuss- for us it was things like omelettes, ravioli with no sauce, sandwiches or muffin pizzas. And you might need to bring dinner all the way back to 4.30-5 and then maybe offer some warm milk or fruit or something a little closer to bedtime.
    Good luck!
    Thank you, this is great advice x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I found if you leave her door open and put a chair outside but to the side just out of sight and sit there. Every time she gets up go in quickly and put her back into bed. Do not speak to her, just put her back put the covers back up and walk out. It will take a few days but it really works.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    A 3 hour day nap for a 3 year old .... Likely to cause sleep problems at night.

I think your plan of a 1 hour nap at 12:30-1 is a good idea.

Please don't let your hubby continually smack your child at bedtime. It's not her fault if she's not tired and smacking will just cause fear, a hate of bed time and continual problems.

Good luck

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-11-2013),delirium  (22-11-2013),SAgirl  (22-11-2013)