+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's up to you how you strongly you feel about the bedtime. Just some ideas...

You could give her the option of reading quietly until she's sleepy (or some other agreed-upon activity) - she might feel that she has some control over it, which is what I find my 3 yo really wants most of the time.

Otherwise, maybe try to just keep calmly but firmly putting her back to bed, no fuss, no smack, no arguments. Just keep it boring and unemotional. If she's doing it for attention or a reaction, don't give her one. You'll probably have to do it a thousand times but it might do the trick! Also, make sure she's getting enough time/attention from you during the day.

Or you could use some kind of reward system - this usually works well with my 3 yo. You can discuss it with her during the day, that it would be really great if she could stay in bed and make a chart so that after a certain number of nights where she stays in bed she can get a special treat.

These are only some suggestions, as it really depends on what might work with your DD's personality. Good luck

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

DailyDiversion  (21-11-2013),SAgirl  (21-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013),Wise Enough  (21-11-2013)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think I would try dropping the day sleep and moving bedtime back to 6.30/7pm with some quiet time in the afternoon for quiet pursuits - stories on her bed with you, sticker book etc

Perhaps try a sticker chart and start small to start with - 3 nts staying in her bed and 3 stickers in a row means a small but desirable reward and gradually increase that time perhaps.

The smacking sounds like it's not much fun all round and probably not a nice way to finish off the day for anyone and it doesn't seem to be having the desired effect anyway so maybe ditch that for now?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Well you wrote this at 9.30 or so, so yes it's late nd I understand your frustration. DS is the same most nights, very frustrating but I usually hop in bed with him and read books to get him to relax, I then get him some milk and his eyes start to droop while drinking it. It's much easier on the days he doesn't nap, he's asleep by 7! But I don't force him not to nap in the day if he needs it. It's a hard age for that reason.

Are you sure she's not overtired? What time do you get her ready for bed?
    Depends on what state she's in. Vic or NSW then it's 9:30. It's earlier everywhere else.

(we've just moved to Melbourne so my kids are still adjusting to daylight savings time so at 9:30 here and they'd just gone to sleep.)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stay next to her in bed until she's asleep

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I would also drop the nap and move bedtime to 6:30

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree on dropping the day sleep and having her in bed by 7. When DS has a day sleep he farts around until about 9, he has a torch in his room and will look at books or whatever. He does not run in and out or muck about though which would be frustrating. It really sounds as though she is not tired.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah she stays in her room but sits in the doorway, her room is next to our family room and we are usually in there ourselves so see her straight away.

Will drop the day nap i think unless we have had a big day and she seems really tired and then limit it to an hour in the early afternoon like a pp said.

Then pull her bedtime back to 6:30

Seem like such practical suggestions but when your tired and frustrated you dont always see things very clearly.

Thanks so much for the helpful, non judgemental replies x

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (22-11-2013),ertgirl  (21-11-2013),Miados2007  (21-11-2013),SAgirl  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend wrapped a present & put it high up on a shelf where her DD could see it but not reach it, she then explained if she did xyz for 5 days in a row she would get the present.

She does it for every behavior she wants changed (dummies, sleep, dry nights etc), it works every time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post
    My friend wrapped a present & put it high up on a shelf where her DD could see it but not reach it, she then explained if she did xyz for 5 days in a row she would get the present.

She does it for every behavior she wants changed (dummies, sleep, dry nights etc), it works every time.
    Love this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I definitely agree with dropping or limiting the day nap. I started doing this with mine when they were about 2.5/3 and they initially did still have a nap some days but they eventually could get through to bed time which is 6.30pm.

Good luck -it's soooo bloody frustrating when they won't go down at night!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post: