+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im booked in for 8am surgery, so is there's a chance I could be up that afternoon looking at everyone elses timeframes of when they were up having showers?

Another question about visitors. With it being an 8am op would visitor's be advised that afternoon or wait til the next day. Im not a huge fan of anyone seeing me a bit groggy or hooked up to a heap of stuff. But i know certain people will want to come up.

Im also ff so will a nurse prep the bottles for me in the night? Im pretty sure dh can stay as they have day beds in the room but ill double check this morning with my middy do he could do bottle prep.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had DD at 9am and stayed in bed for 24hrs, I was in no rush and quite happy to let my wound sit for a bit. I had visitors straight away, I was so pumped on drugs I couldn't sleep so I kept calling people I even snuck my friends in during the 'no visitor' period (I had my own room so wasn't disturbing anyone).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    Im booked in for 8am surgery, so is there's a chance I could be up that afternoon looking at everyone elses timeframes of when they were up having showers?

Another question about visitors. With it being an 8am op would visitor's be advised that afternoon or wait til the next day. Im not a huge fan of anyone seeing me a bit groggy or hooked up to a heap of stuff. But i know certain people will want to come up.

Im also ff so will a nurse prep the bottles for me in the night? Im pretty sure dh can stay as they have day beds in the room but ill double check this morning with my middy do he could do bottle prep.

Miados my advice would be tell your visitors to wait until the following day to come and see you. Perhaps allow close family (your parents, in laws and siblings) if you want, but tell everyone else to stay away until the following afternoon. If you do allow certain people, ask them to come in small groups rather than all at once. Morphine in the spinal will make you itchy, the midwives will be wanting to check your wound and blood loss regularly and you'll probably feel just a little bit crap. It can be very overwhelming too to have so many people there.

In terms of being up that afternoon it depends how things go. Usually the catheter has to stay in for a minimum of 8-12hrs after the spinal to ensure you have full and complete sensation back in your legs and bladder. Where I work the catheter will usually be taken out first thing the following morning. If they take it out 8pm and you have problems getting up to the toilet etc it's worse to be doing all of that at night.

The hospital would most likely prefer/expect you to have someone there with you to do all of the baby cares (particularly as it's a booked elective, so you know you'll be unable to do it all), inc feeding and preparing bottles. Plus a postnatal ward is a very busy place and sometimes the staff just won't have the time to be doing all of that for you. It's very hard when you have lots of stuff going on and someone is buzzing to change a nappy and prepare a bottle of formula. If you end up in a shared room, then partners can't always stay, in which case they'll have to help you :-)

I hope your Caesar goes well and you have a positive experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou. Thats pretty much what I thought. My hospital is private rooms and early on they mentioned dh could stay. I would rather not anyone see me until the next day for those reasons. I didnt even want anyone to know my date but dh is too excited so hes blabbed. Ive already asked my parents not to bring my kiddies up until the night after (friday night) as they are only 5 and 6 and my dd is already freaking out as im there everything and she knows i have to go to hospital to have the baby but just not the ins and out so they dont even know the date. Just that they are having a few sleep overs at nannys house which isnt unusual.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c section 3 weeks ago. Had a spinal block - didnt hurt. Was cold after the op. only had panadol for pain. Was up walking later that night and had the catheter taken out the same night. Haven't had any problems. Scar is already healed. Have been back doing normal things for the last two weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ive had 2 c-sects (1 planned, one emerg) and recovered really well from both. I found getting up and moving around straight away to help the best. As soon at cathater came out, i got up and showered. It was hard to get out of bed to feed bubs a million times, so i co-slept in hospital. DH got bubs for me at home if i was a bit tender.

i was in hosp 2 nights for both and back to normal duties like driving, washing, lifting toddler within the week.
    I kept on top of my pain meds in hosp, even if i wasnt in pain i'd get the top up if due for it. I left hosp on panadol and voltaren. Which i took when required.

everyone will recover differently. Just how your body responds to the surgery. remembering its major surgery. Take it easy, keep wound clean and well dressed and protected (midwives come to your home and dress the wound) and keep on top of pain.

As for visitors, we didnt announce birth untill 2 days later (when i was going home anyways) i was alot more comfortable at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I recovered really well from my DD (7 months ago). I was up moving basically as soon as they took my catheter out. From all the research the girls said on here the faster you move the better you recover. So that's what I did! (no Olympic sports) lol... I had a shower etc washed my hair and put on some fresh clothes. Especially to try and use my bowels. It was after the hospital that I over did it.. please LISTEN to your doctor/physio... I was lifting things more than DD.. moving furniture even though DF was there to help. Now i'm preg again and booked for a c section 3rd march at night time and whenever I walk I can feel pain in my scar tissue. I said no visitors until we rang. People got ****ty but um? Deal... I will send you a photo, I will announce in my own time and I want to enjoy my baby before you do with a c section! You never know what will happen etc. How the drugs will effect you etc....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post

Personally I would say no visitors until day 2. I felt blergh for a while, its hard to move around for quite a few hours and I needed the nurses to help feeds because of the angle I was at (FF would be similar I imagine). Remember you will have a cathedar, iv and be in a gown only. We had from when DD was born at 7pm until 3pm the next day and I could have done with longer. It was lovely just having that time the three of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with the itchyness! It drove me bonkers and I only remembered after I got home that they wrote me up something for it lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DD at 6pm and the next morning was up and showering and walking around. Hubby didn't stay with me as we had a ds at home.. I had to do it all on my own but the nurses did take her when I needed to rest. I was home on Day 7 and driving a week later as I had no one to take DD and myself to the paed. ( hubby wouldn't take the time off work, said it wasn't important enough.... hes now Ex)