+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency c-section under general anaesthetic at 6am and wasn't allowed out of bed until the next morning. I had a morphine pump for pain, catheter & those machine things on my legs. All of it came out/off the next morning & I got up walked around a little and showered.

Because DH stayed the first night the midwives/nurses left him to do all the nappy changes and bring DS to me when he needed feeding. If DH had not been there DS would have been either taken to the nursery or I would have had to have buzzed for help every time he needed picking up/changing etc.

We were supposed to stay 6 nights but after 4 nights I couldn't take being there anymore (I hate hospitals) so left on day 5 after getting paediatricians clearance (DS had bad jaundice).

I was actually surprised about how fast I recovered. The only thing I found hard was going up and down our stairs - we have a high set house - for the first week.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babybump08 For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013),KaraB  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    First time round I had placenta praevia so had an elective c section as I wasn't allowed to go into labour. The actual c section itself wasn't bad as I was so focused on meeting our new baby but I ended up losing a lot of blood and they had to insert a bakri balloon to help stop it. I ended up needing a couple of blood transfusions so I ended up not being allowed up and out of bed until Sunday lunch time (DS was born Friday morning). Once I was disconnected from the drip, getting up for me was incredibly painful. I needed the nurse and hubby on either side of me to stand up and hubby had to help me shower as I felt so weak. While I wasn't allowed out of bed my hubby and nurses had to get bub for me if he was in the bassinet. This was crap the first night as hubby couldn't stay (they didn't have a room for me so was in a 4 bed ward) and the nurse took bub and only brought him back to feed. Second night was better as we had our own room and hubby stayed. I stayed 4 nights (could have stayed one more but I felt like the nurses pushed me to leave). My milk came in right on day 3 and didn't have too many issues breast feeding. Once home my recovery went ok except when I pushed myself to do stuff around the house too soon and ended up in a lot of pain.

Second time round I had an elective c section (no medical reason this time). It all went perfectly. They left the catheter in overnight and I was up and showering the next morning. Getting up this time was not painful and I felt pretty good! I stayed in the 5 nights (figured it was as close to a rest as I was going to get with 2 under 2). I was picking up my 16 month old a week after I got home (he weighed around 13kg then) and driving 3 weeks after the surgery as my hubby went back to work so I needed to be completely functioning (he works away). Recovery this time round was a lot quicker and easier, partially due to no blood loss and partly because my body was used to it it suppose.

Good luck x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can I ask does everyone have to have the leg machine thing for blood clots?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post

I didn't. I didn't even have ted stockings as my legs were so swollen from pe that they didn't have any that fit. I did have an ultrasound on my legs before dd was born to make suit I didn't have any clots. I was also on clexane injections.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I just had the stockings put on prior to the surgery.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013),KaraB  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two csections, recovery was very similar with both.
    For the first night I had a catheter so I was in bed till the next morning, not much pain and I could have the bed up and watch tv.
    The next morning the catheter goes so I can get up and shower, a bit more pain because I'd walk around but nothing major. Shower and a walk around the ward.
    After day two I'd say I was pretty mobile, up and down the bed unassisted, showering comfortably, walking about no problem.
    I was pretty recovered by day 7, no lifting heavy things but no pain and completely mobile.
    I do keep up with the pain meds so maybe that's why I don't feel pain. I also suggest to take any physio info you can like how to get in and out of bed without straining the muscles. I also wear a tight (not too tight) band just to hold things in but also to remind myself not to use my core muscles.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mine round 6pm and I think they made me stand up for a shower round 10am the following day. That was ok because the drugs hadn't worn off but the next day was a lot tougher. I felt like my insides were falling out every time I went to the toilet. I was also really uncomfortable with constipation for the first three days from codeine so if that's an issue for you, make sure they give you a laxative! I got home after about six days and was generally ok, albeit moving very slowly. The hardest bit was getting in and out of my bed at home as it's a bit high, and coughing or sneezing hurts. Best of luck with it all - just accept all the help you are offered, take any pain meds offered and let the house go to rack and ruin while you get a handle on this whole motherhood thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post

I didn't have anything on my legs just the drain, but my friends all had the leg stockings but no drain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!!
    This is actually my third (& final) little darling baby, after two natural births a little bit shaky on the change in how bub will enter the world but whatever gets her here safely I appreciate reading all your posts thank you

16. The Following User Says Thank You to babymac2014 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babymac2014 View Post
    Thanks everyone!!
    This is actually my third (& final) little darling baby, after two natural births a little bit shaky on the change in how bub will enter the world but whatever gets her here safely I appreciate reading all your posts thank you
    Snap! Its my 3rd too and first c section and im totally there with you on the shaky bits! When are you booked in?