+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Recovery from C sections

Hi mummas,

I just would like some experiences on what actually happens from when the bub is born to the first few days.

When could you get up, shower, use bathroom, go home etc

Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had 4 c sections and each recovery has been different. The first was difficult- I still don't know exactly why but maybe just because my body hadn't been through something like that before. The second wasn't so bad. And the 3rd strangly was a breeze- I think because I was given a shot of something afterwards to help my uterus contract back and I had a drain in place for the first day to reduce the fluid build up. My after pains for the first 12 hours were horrendous- I threw up from them. But I swear I was up the very next day and felt great so it was really worth it. My last c section I felt quite tender for the first 3 days and getting up for the first time I was hunched over with a folded towel against my incision site. That's not so much fun. It's not like I just hopped out of bed and walked to the toilet it was very tentative and slow. But after day 4 I felt a little better day by day but probably not what I would call close to my normal self for a month or so.. And my stomach took ages to go down with my last c section as well. But I think my 3rd c section was better because I must had had a better doctor because the whole management of the pregnancy and post partum was different. I guess what I am saying is it depends of the circumstances, your level of fitness before hand and the treating doctor. I always go home asap after I have a baby because I HATE being in hospital. So unless the baby has jaundice I usually leave within 2-3 days sometimes less depending on how well I feel and if I am confident with breastfeeding by then. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions I am going to have a 5th c section in May next year..
    Last edited by KaraB; 21-11-2013 at 16:07.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an emergency section after laboring for 22 hours, I had the op at 10:30 pm.

It was the morning two days later, so a out 36 hours later, that I had the catheter taken out & could go to the toilet again, get out of bed, have a shower etc. DP stayed with me in the hospital the whole time & did all nappy changes, & brought bubs to me for all feeds.

I was in hospital for 6 nights, & didn't move other than between the bed to the bathroom the last few days I was there.

I was on endone for the pain for a few weeks after.

Started going for short walks around the block when bubs was about 2 weeks, & didn't drive til about 6-8 weeks after.

A girlfriend of mine had a planned section the week after me, & was mobile,& driving etc weeks before I was! I think my recovery was longer because I had the combination of labour plus the section. Or perhaps I'm just a sook!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013),KaraB  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way you're not a sook at all If I had someone to look after me after any of mine I would have been the same- I didn't have a lot of choice which is why I needed to push myself to get mobile as soon as possible. Your DP sounds lovely

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013),Monkey'sMummy  (21-11-2013),Stretched  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my csection on a Friday. It was booked in. I had a spinal block. I was up and walking around the Friday afternoon. I had a shower too. Over night I had a machine on my legs to prevent blood clots so couldn't get out of bed even if I wanted to. It was annoying! DD's hospital cot was put close to my bed and the bed raised so I could reach her easier. Hourly obs were annoying too (had to be done). Saturday I was up and walking around. Preferred sitting on the lounge chair rather than the bed most of the time. Could've gone home Sunday but had to wait till Monday morning for the Dr's clearance. Was out at 9am on the Monday.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lauzy For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013),cluckcluck  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauzy View Post
    I had my csection on a Friday. It was booked in. I had a spinal block. I was up and walking around the Friday afternoon. I had a shower too. Over night I had a machine on my legs to prevent blood clots so couldn't get out of bed even if I wanted to. It was annoying! DD's hospital cot was put close to my bed and the bed raised so I could reach her easier. Hourly obs were annoying too (had to be done). Saturday I was up and walking around. Preferred sitting on the lounge chair rather than the bed most of the time. Could've gone home Sunday but had to wait till Monday morning for the Dr's clearance. Was out at 9am on the Monday.
    Pretty much this.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013),Lauzy  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. Im booked in for next thursday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Miados2007 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got up about 24 hrs afterwards once spinal block fully worn off and catheter out. Felt like an old lady, could only shuffle along. Showered that day too, sitting down on a chair as felt too weak. Went home after 3 days but felt it took quite a while to recover.

I was shocked how bad I felt afterwards. But others I know have recovered really well so think I was just unlucky! Wanted to give you both sides of how it can be.

Hope you don't mind me being honest and saying it was hard for me.

Good luck!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013),KaraB  (22-11-2013),Miados2007  (21-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a planned one. Had dd on Friday morning, the next morning I had catheter and drain removed (I found the drain being removed painful) then Dh and a nurse helped me up and have a shower. I was a bit slow on my feet as my back was sore, but that was mainly from a big bub sitting on my spine for months!
    I was just on Panadol and ibuprofen for maybe a week then found I just needed one at the end of the day by week two. I drove at week 4 I think.

Once home I didn't care if the floors were clean just rested and looked after bub.
    But I had a great experience very calm and all the dr's and nurses were excited to find out what bub was as we were leaving it as a surprise.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone use the abdo mend bands or anything to help recovery??

my first took me at least 6 months to Recover from (infection etc) was in hospital for a week couldn't feel my feet for three days, did labour epi and then spinal so a lot of drugs. So having a planned csection I know I'll have less drugs in me.

Im keen to be up and about fast but safe

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandy_1902 For This Useful Post:

babymac2014  (21-11-2013),KaraB  (22-11-2013)