+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default expressed breast milk

Hi I have been freezing some EBM but I do not know how much to give per serve to my 14 days old baby. Can anyone share how much they freeze for per serve? Would 50ml suffice per meal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both ds and dd were having between 60-110mls at two weeks, I would freeze in 40ml and 60ml lots. Then around 3months I started freezing in 50 and 80ml lots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The ABA has some great articles on their website.

My son only ever took total of 50ml (even as a 6 month old), so i would go with small amounts (30ml ish) and see how they go.

Is there a reason why your bub needs ebm, or are you just storing for later?

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/caregivers.html

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...ive-expressing

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...ing-breastmilk

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by the lactation consultant for my two week old to have 90ml every four hours. My bub fed every 3 hours or so, so fed a little less some feeds and the full 90mls other times.
    There is actually a formula based on age and weight to calculate how much they need per day, then divide it I to feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks all. so if i have a little milk left can i mix it with tomorrow's EBM?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by springrose View Post
    Once your hub has drunk out of the bottle of EBM you need to use it all within an hour and then discard it. Don't let bub drink some and then put it away for later. I would separate into smaller amounts so that you don't have to waste it.

The 'formula' for working out how much to give is: (150 x weight in kgs)/number of feeds = number of mls per feed. For example when DD was born she weighed 3.2kgs and was feeding 10 times a day, therefore the amount was: (150 x 3.2)/10 = 48 mls per feed. Note this is a guide only and some babies will have more some will have less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by springrose View Post
    You can mix milk from different expressing sessions if they are at same temperature. So, express and put milk in fridge. next time, express and put milk in separate container in fridge. when 2nd lot has cooled, you can combine both and freeze.

Have you talked to an LC or breastfeeding counsellor about your expressing? Sometimes expressing in the early days can create issues of oversupply.