+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    During my pregnancy my DH called me an incubator as a term of endearment. I was in no way offended by being referred to as that.
    So did mine. And many other things which others would find offensive but I think are cute.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codex View Post
    This is just a NSW law. Laws protecting the unborn child already exist in Qld and some other states, without reprocusaions on a womans right to choose to terminate.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/q...9994/s313.html
    Yeah termination is still technically illegal in Queensland.......

Thank you Criminal Code Act 1899

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (27-11-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miados2007 View Post
    So did mine. And many other things which others would find offensive but I think are cute.

Yes, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you were a willing participant in the incubation of your babies, but you could also identify as a mother in the making and many other things. If you are not a willing participant, you may indeed feel as though your worth is reduced to being that of a vessel for the purpose of growing a child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Yes, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you were a willing participant in the incubation of your babies, but you could also identify as a mother in the making and many other things. If you are not a willing participant, you may indeed feel as though your worth is reduced to being that of a vessel for the purpose of growing a child.
    Of course I was. But really what springs to my mind when I hear incubators and the first thing I think of is surrogacy. Not in an offensive way either. Like you put it a vessel for the purpose of growing a child.

But I acknowledge it could also reduce women's worth as a women as we are so much more than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yes, of course. In terms of being the environment that houses and grows babies, of course she is. It's not an offensive term.
    I don't like the term either, which is why I don't think we should be treated as such!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise41 View Post
    IMO person who kills an unborn child through a car accident etc should be charged BUT not the Pregnant mother unless she deliberately caused the death of her baby... Termination- if the pregnant mother decides to terminate, that is her business. Its her body and her choice. no one has the right to tell another person what to do with their body..
    So you're saying that if the mother has a car accident that causes the foetus to die then that's okay as long as it was just an unintentional accident where they are at fault but if someone else has a car accident that causes her foetus to die they should be charged even if that too was an unintentional accident where they are at fault?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I will certainly get flamed for this then.

If that is true, and you think there are no valid circumstances ever, then you must just be plain lacking in empathy. How could you look at the little girl in Brazil, who was abused and made pregnant at 9 years old and told that she would not survive the twin pregnancy it turned out to be. And honestly say to her, that her life was less valid than those fetuses? She ended up getting excommunicated from the Catholic church - as did her mother and the doctors who saved her life. Which led me to believe that the Catholic church in Brazil are evil and they are all going to hell. I am sure, if there is a god, that he would not be cool with a sexually abused child being made to carry and most likely die, twins that were produced via sexual assault. The whole thing makes me sick.
    The powerful catholic zealots are evil. I don't even believe in evil but when they have power in a country they are. I grew up in Ireland and was sickened and embarrassed to be Irish when that woman died recently - not sure exact details but her baby was dying and killing her but doctors wouldn't do the abortion so they both died. She wasn't even irish or catholic!!! There have been cases when I was young of teenagers pregnant from rape - by an uncle in one case where the church got an injunction to stop her leaving the country to get an abortion!! I think eventually it was overturned but crazy zealots should never be allowed any power

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-11-2013),Ellewood  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That was case X wasn't it? I didn't think they overturned it? I could be wrong though. I used to live in Ireland for years, and was there for the referendum about if a woman is at severe risk of self harm or suicide because of pregnancy should she be able to terminate and it was voted down by a huge number. So embarrassing. And probably the main reason I would never live in Ireland again. I don't like the thought of not having control over my own body.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    The powerful catholic zealots are evil. I don't even believe in evil but when they have power in a country they are. I grew up in Ireland and was sickened and embarrassed to be Irish when that woman died recently - not sure exact details but her baby was dying and killing her but doctors wouldn't do the abortion so they both died. She wasn't even irish or catholic!!! There have been cases when I was young of teenagers pregnant from rape - by an uncle in one case where the church got an injunction to stop her leaving the country to get an abortion!! I think eventually it was overturned but crazy zealots should never be allowed any power

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    The powerful catholic zealots are evil. I don't even believe in evil but when they have power in a country they are. I grew up in Ireland and was sickened and embarrassed to be Irish when that woman died recently - not sure exact details but her baby was dying and killing her but doctors wouldn't do the abortion so they both died. She wasn't even irish or catholic!!!
    To cut a long story short, her membranes ruptured at 17 weeks and she wasn't monitored closely enough for signs of infection, she developed sepsis and subsequently died.

It wasn't really about termination laws, it was really about the crappy care given by the hospital that had absolutely nothing to do with whether or not termination was legal.

The inquest report identified three key factors for her death
    1) inadequate assessment and monitoring
    2) failure to offer all management options to a patient (which is what the termination comes under)
    3) non adherence to clinical guidelines related to the prompt and effective management of sepsis.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 28-11-2013 at 16:11.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't care one iota if other women don't mind being called incubators (and don't deny some of you had an endearment with your partners regarding the term), but I dislike pregnant women (and any other animal!) being described as incubators!! An incubator is an artificial environment, used in labs and other. As far as I know, an incubator can not grow a full-term human/mammal baby from scratch! I am a creator or a small, amazing little marvel of nature, not an incubator!