+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is online now T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just something that someone said in a post above got me thinking - say a pregnant woman in a taxi...there is an accident, woman loses her baby, taxi driver is charged for dangerous driving or similar. Maybe this law will make pregnant women undesirable passengers or customers in other areas.

Maybe it's a long shot, but just occured to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Hmmm... When I hear the 'incubator' argument, I take it in the context of say, an incubator for chicken eggs vs a mother hen sitting on her clutch.
    For me, it does suggest some form of disconnect.
    Yeah, I get what you mean. It is, after all, a term for a box to keep a baby of eggs/chicks warm/alive as opposed to a person. But in terms of pregnancy, a mother is an "incubator" of sorts whether the pregnancy is wanted or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Just something that someone said in a post above got me thinking - say a pregnant woman in a taxi...there is an accident, woman loses her baby, taxi driver is charged for dangerous driving or similar. Maybe this law will make pregnant women undesirable passengers or customers in other areas.

Or maybe they will quit their job as they might be driving down the road and accidentally plough into another car carrying a pregnant woman. I think that scenario is taking things too far.

Re incubator, I do find it offensive actually. It's definitely a negative term in my mind

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh, hadn't thought of it that way, either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    Or maybe they will quit their job as they might be driving down the road and accidentally plough into another car carrying a pregnant woman. I think that scenario is taking things too far.

Re incubator, I do find it offensive actually. It's definitely a negative term in my mind
    It's not a deliberately offensive term though- it literally refers to a piece of equipment made to house and keep warm and a live a preterm bub or eggs/chicks. I could understand the offense if you were told you were *just* an incubator or something. I think it's often used in a pro choice discussion because the idea of forcing a woman to continue a pregnancy she does not want is treating her like an incubator in the literal sense- like a machine only there to grow a baby. When it is a wanted baby she is still fulfilling the same basic function biologically of "incubating" her babe but obviously she feels differently about it on an emotional level. I can see why people feel a disconnect with the word.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

I don't think it will. A taxi driver would get charged with something anyway if he drove like an idiot and people got injured. Regardless of whether the passenger was a pregnant woman.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (28-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    During my pregnancy my DH called me an incubator as a term of endearment. I was in no way offended by being referred to as that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think it will. A taxi driver would get charged with something anyway if he drove like an idiot and people got injured. Regardless of whether the passenger was a pregnant woman.
    Couldn't you apply that same logic to the whole Zoe's Law. A person who assaulted a woman would be charged with GBH regardless of whether the woman he assaulted was pregnant? Dunno, just musing.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-11-2013),Lillynix  (27-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is just a NSW law. Laws protecting the unborn child already exist in Qld and some other states, without reprocusaions on a womans right to choose to terminate.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/q...9994/s313.html

SpecialPatrolGroup is online now T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by codex View Post
    This is just a NSW law. Laws protecting the unborn child already exist in Qld and some other states, without reprocusaions on a womans right to choose to terminate.
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/q...9994/s313.html
    Qld is not the state to hold up as supporting a woman's right to procure a termination. From the Children by Choice website:
    Queensland & New South Wales: Abortion a crime for women and doctors. Legal when doctor believes a woman’s physical and/or mental health is in serious danger. In NSW social, economic and medical factors maybe taken into account.