+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
    So that previous sentence doesn't mean you think she's lying? Cause I read that as you calling her liar.
    Just because one person has had difficulty obtaining a late term abortion, doesn't mean it can't be easy for others.

I know of another person who obtained a late term abortion easily, by claiming the child was a product of a rape. The child had in fact been conceived via IVF and the woman carrying the child was a surrogate. The surrogate aborted in order to claim the baby bonus and travel overseas.

Sent from my U8860 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    No, as I said - I 'doubted it was as easy as wandering in, or picking up the phone at 25 weeks, and saying the line, "I can't afford it and it might impact my mental health"'

I know there have been doctors stripped of their registration for prescribing benzos to women when they shouldn't have etc, so there was a possibility the PP was referred to him? - who knows? That's why I asked for more info.

If the person you know did that then - she was being dishonest. And is obviously not an example of 'a simple case'.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 26-11-2013 at 15:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    What are you talking about?

What if a law prevented a man from getting a vasectomy and decreed he had to impregnante his wife? Would that be ok? Of course not. Nor is it ok to take away a woman's reproductive rights and force her to continue a pregnancy.
    Just as a side note, there are doctors out there that require a female partner to sign a consent form when her male partner want a vasectomy. It is by no means the norm, but I know 2 couples now where this was the case. Both couples were absolutely flabbergasted at the notion, as was I!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Just as a side note, there are doctors out there that require a female partner to sign a consent form when her male partner want a vasectomy. It is by no means the norm, but I know 2 couples now where this was the case. Both couples were absolutely flabbergasted at the notion, as was I!
    We're currently looking into DH having a vasectomy next year and our GP said he needs for both of us to come in for the referral so its clear its something we both agree on. I was gobsmacked.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Miados2007  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    We're currently looking into DH having a vasectomy next year and our GP said he needs for both of us to come in for the referral so its clear its something we both agree on. I was gobsmacked.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    It's crap isn't it!?

I had no part in DH's vasectomy process. It was something we both wanted, but all Doctor/Surgeon visits he did alone and he was never asked what his Wife's opinion was. Just the way it should be.

His reproductive rights are his and his alone. Just as mine are mine.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-11-2013),beebs  (26-11-2013),peanutmonkey  (26-11-2013),sweetpeamummy  (30-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

If your friend did that then - she was being dishonest. And is obviously not an example of 'a simple case'.
    The surrogate woman was not my friend. I knew the couple she was being a surrogate for. As far as I'm concerned that woman is a monster for what she did.
    But if it was that simple for her (given that she simply lied about being raped), why could it not be as simple as saying that having a child would adversely affect the mother. After all, the reason for allowing it for a woman claiming rape would be that it would affect her mental state adversely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trustno1 View Post
    The surrogate woman was not my friend. I knew the couple she was being a surrogate for. As far as I'm concerned that woman is a monster for what she did.
    But if it was that simple for her (given that she simply lied about being raped), why could it not be as simple as saying that having a child would adversely affect the mother. After all, the reason for allowing it for a woman claiming rape would be that it would affect her mental state adversely.

I edited the word 'friend' before you replied.

How far along was the pregnancy?

I'm going on the current laws for late term abortions that say post 20 weeks it needs to be put to a board. There needs to be assessments, counselling etc. It is a 'process' (as far as I know) that involves a great deal more than a simple statement.

The thing is - women ARE raped, and women DO need to terminate for their own mental and physical health.

If some look at that as an 'opportunity' to create an act about their own circumstance, then I guess they will.
    The circumstance you mentioned would be, I feel confident saying - very rare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post

Not to mention condom companies! Those things just don't fit my finger!
    There are female condoms.... They are massive

11. The Following User Says Thank You to grooviechic35 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post

There is no foetus without a woman. A woman needs to be the top priority. If she does things to herself, that aren't great for her like all human beings, she may need education, help or just to be left the hell alone to make the choice to play netball or drink one alcoholic drink.

Wen a man harms himself, he should not ever be charged, he needs help, when a woman harms herself she needs the same.
    I disagree that the women needs to be the top priority. And i disagree that a pregnant woman needs the same treatment as a man when self harming. Like it or not the pregnant woman's actions are affecting someone else - an innocent baby.

A viable baby, weeks away from being born, had the right to not be harmed/killed. The right of her mother to be an idiot by hitting herself with a hammer does not come close to comparing to the babies right.

I see what you are saying about the one alcoholic drink etc. In some cases it's quite unclear what is or isn't harmful. I think you'd have to be an idiot to argue though that hitting your pregnant belly with a hammer is ok.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (26-11-2013),SoThisIsLove  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post

But either way, I'm sick of the whole, but we have to be like men in EVERYTHING, where in some cases that is impossible. .
    It isn't trying to be like men, it is just about having the same basic rights over your own person as men, as anyone. A woman should not have less rights over her own body than anyone else, uterus or not.

The thread is more - where could this law potentially go in the future. No one has said that a person who willing bashes a woman and causes her to lose a baby should not be punished, or that it is ok to cause the death of a baby in the belly, but their are just different opinions that perhaps these laws aren't the best way to punish said horrible people.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-11-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    With respect, being pro choice doesn't mean you're ok with it. It means that you accept that every woman has the right to decide what she does with her body.

It does not mean you support abortion, it means you support choice.

Pro-life means anti-abortion for every female regardless of circumstance.
    yep completely agree. truth is, I don't really agree with abortion except in cases of medical need. But I also accept it's not my place to tell another woman what to do with her own body. I support choice despite not liking it bc I recognise the reasons are often complex, the decision difficult and women cannot be reduced to incubators.

But I think in SothisisLove's defence, that's what she is also saying. She doesn't agree with it, but accepts choice has to be there. Ultimately pro choice isn't about how you feel about the topic but that you don't wish to take women's right to abortion away. You accept women have a right to chose for their own body. And I think this is what she is saying.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-11-2013),beebs  (26-11-2013)