+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with pp that we are too different culturally and politically from America to be too concerned about what their laws have allowed.
    I also don't think this law gives more rights to the fetus, it gives more rights to grieving parents who just want the loss of their child to be acknowledged as a serious crime.
    I guess time will tell, but I think any amendments will be very closely monitored to avoid over stepping the line (especially in the media).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (23-11-2013)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just saw this article on a news website and I got to thinking if an incidence such as this (this happened in the UK) would be used to challenge the exemption from prosecuting a woman for something that she did to herself during pregnancy. I am not suggesting that is necessarily should (although if the account of the incident is correct I assume she is not fit to raise a child).

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...y-with-hammer/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I just saw this article on a news website and I got to thinking if an incidence such as this (this happened in the UK) would be used to challenge the exemption from prosecuting a woman for something that she did to herself during pregnancy. I am not suggesting that is necessarily should (although if the account of the incident is correct I assume she is not fit to raise a child).

Assuming the ex's version of events is correct I would support this woman being charged whether it be under an existing law or a law similar to Zoe's law. Her being charged wouldn't worry me in the slightest.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (25-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Couldn't agree more.

It's unacceptable that this woman wasn't charged.

Argh I struggle to make sense of this world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post

Disgusting... And Her baby is walking and talking at 7 months? :/

Married to my soul mate, Mummy to one beautiful little girl, wishing for a little boy to complete our family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Assuming the ex's version of events is correct I would support this woman being charged whether it be under an existing law or a law similar to Zoe's law. Her being charged wouldn't worry me in the slightest.
    And that's why these laws should not be allowed.

I don't think a woman should be charged for hitting her own body with a hammer.

I think she should get the help and any medical treatment she probably needs.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-11-2013),onionskin  (26-11-2013),SassyMummy  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    And that's why these laws should not be allowed.

I think she should get the help and any medical treatment she probably needs.
    I also think she should be given help... If she needs it. I think though that first has to come authorities stepping in and stopping what she's doing, and charging her. If she truly has a mental condition then her lawyer can plead that at trial. And care can be part of the plan/the entirety of it. But the first priority (IMO) has to be looking after the innocent, viable life that is inside the belly that she is hitting with a hammer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post

I am in total and utter shock with that statement!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    See, I would disagree with you here. I don't know how hard she hit herself or anything, but from her ex's version of events, he describes her as out of control. From that limited info, I would hazard a guess that she may have mental health issues, in which case a criminal charge is not going to help her or her baby. I don't believe in "punishing" mental illness. There are of course times when those with mental illness must be removed from society (when they present a danger etc) but in this instance she took a risk with her own body that luckily appears not to have harmed the child. What would the charge be, exactly? And charging a woman for taking a risk in pregnancy is a slippery slope- where does the risk become acceptable?
    nb- I'm not condoning hitting herself with a hammer though, it's awful- but I don't think its the action of a well person.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (26-11-2013),sockstealingpoltergeist  (26-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie Pallie View Post
    I am in total and utter shock with that statement!!!
    Why?
    Should she be charged with a crime for hitting her own body? Look at it like this- Should she be charged for eating a ham sandwich? Of course not- but where is the line drawn? Both constitute risk to the foetus.