+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Exactly.

We are under a right wing Government. We need to be very aware of what this could potentially mean when it comes to women's rights. We can very, very easily head down the same path as many states in the US, where women can come under fire for having an abortion, because rights and personhood have been given to the foetus. It's very dangerous territory.
    I don't know... We are nowhere near as religious as the US who, lets face it, are a country who's politics are significantly influenced by religion, especially with regards to abortion.

Not saying you're wrong - it's impossible to say - but I just highly doubt australia is comparable to the us political system when you look at our religious landscapes and how different they are.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (23-11-2013),VicPark  (24-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It think with this government and the senate, we are closer than we have ever been. If Fred Nile thinks it's a good idea, that is a big red flag for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    I don't know... We are nowhere near as religious as the US who, lets face it, are a country who's politics are significantly influenced by religion, especially with regards to abortion.

Not saying you're wrong - it's impossible to say - but I just highly doubt australia is comparable to the us political system when you look at our religious landscapes and how different they are.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (22-11-2013),Atropos  (22-11-2013),Lillynix  (22-11-2013),SassyMummy  (22-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I'm so unbelievably torn on this issue. I can see both sides and I genuinely don't know where I sit.
    I feel exactly the same. On the one hand I agree wholeheartedly with the purpose of this bill as it is stated, on the other I do understand why people are concerned about it being a stepping stone that could potentially be used against women's rights to bodily autonomy... Planting the seed in people's minds of an unborn child's right to oddly autonomy in all cases could be very dangerous.

Maybe it should not be written into law, but rather in cases like this one, there should be overriding factors which would allow proper justice to be done... Similar to how some children might be tried as adults in certain circumstances.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    It think with this government and the senate, we are closer than we have ever been. If Fred Nile thinks it's a good idea, that is a big red flag for me.
    The NSW Upper House is fairly delicately balanced though. If MPs are allowed to have a conscience vote any amendment could go either way. Presumably, given they have been given a conscience vote on the proposed law as it stands, any future votes on amendments would also be conscience-based.

On a slight tangent, if the law passes the Upper House as well, the make up of the NSW judiciary will be more influential over the interpretations of the provisions than the parliament will be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apologies as I'm not really certain, but isn't Fed Nike's support mainly in QLD? And seen as a bit of a joke everywhere else? I thought christianity in Australia was actually on the decline (and non-religion/agnostic and atheism on the rise)? I don't know, just not sure we compare to American political system (regarding religious influence) at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No he's a member of the NSW Legislative Council and has been for eons. Fortunately for everyone he plans to retire at the next election

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-11-2013),Ellewood  (22-11-2013),onionskin  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post
    Apologies as I'm not really certain, but isn't Fed Nike's support mainly in QLD? And seen as a bit of a joke everywhere else? I thought christianity in Australia was actually on the decline (and non-religion/agnostic and atheism on the rise)? I don't know, just not sure we compare to American political system (regarding religious influence) at all.
    It is in the general public- but if you look at the number of Catholics in govt at the moment (inc Abbott) it's almost half the cabinet. Fred Nile isn't a joke, he's dangerous. In the first daft of Zoe's law he wanted to make it law that abortion seekers were made to view a scan and were told that the foetus feels pain. He makes no secret of his agenda really, and has a fair bit of influence since I'm pretty sure he holds (held? Can't remember, stupid tired brain!) the balance of power in the upper house.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (22-11-2013),beebs  (22-11-2013),Ellewood  (22-11-2013),Lillynix  (22-11-2013),Stiflers Mom  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The CDs and the Shooters Party both have two members each and are effectively the balance of power.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-11-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Exactly, and it has been quite clear that the shooters will vote alongside anything the libs want, this govt scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    The CDs and the Shooters Party both have two members each and are effectively the balance of power.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly, and it has been quite clear that the shooters will vote alongside anything the libs want, this govt scares me.
    Yes but say the law as it is passes - isn't the immediate 'danger' the judiciary and how they interpret it?

Not subsequent amendments. And let's face it, given the majority in the LA there's likely to be a 'correction' at the next election and the LC is unlikely to be so delicately balanced such that those two minor parties hold the balance of power.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (22-11-2013)